Boat Cover Maker WNY??

Lawdwaz

Anybody have a name/number of someone to make a cover for my dingy?  It's just a 16' no "windshield" fishing boat.  I don't know what the beam is on it, maybe 60"?

I'd like snaps and fiberglass bows for it.  

My current cover is chicken chow mien..............FUBAR.  It was from Cabela's and came with the boat.  It had the straps that you had to wrap around the trailer.  Looking for an upgrade if I can swing it.  

Thanks. 

Last custom cover I had made was many years ago by a guy in Heniretta in his garage , and it was great ! Lasted many many years tight fit , double canvas at stress points.

One here in Webster Steves custom canvas burned to the ground .....

Currently I'm using those generic strap ones and it sucks , so I know why you're looking.

This time of year they may be backed up 2 months , prior to the fire I called Steves it was May and my date to bring it was in July .

The cost is way up as well now days . Good luck , sorry I don't know anyone near you, though just sharing my experience .

Seems Steves is back open , it's about an hour and twenty minutes away from you , I'd take you to lunch though.

http://www.stevescustomcanvas.com

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Larry try calling McCauley Canvas at 585-303-0865 they are on North Gravel Rd.Medina and you can see their website at Myboatcanvas.com  I remembered this place passed by it few times while going to fish Glenwood lake in Medina. Maybe he can help.

Steve's Custom Canvas

OPEN NOW

Today:9:00 am - 1:00 pm

765 County Line Rd,

Ontario, NY 14519

(585) 265-1170

Paul's Canvas

OPEN NOW

Today:8:00 am - 6:00 pm

7379 E Main St,

Lima, NY 14485

(585) 255-0531

JP Hettinger Canvas & Upholstery

OPEN NOW

Today:9:00 am - 12:00 pm

4948 East Lake Road,

Honeoye, NY 14471

(585) 208-9644

Larry try calling McCauley Canvas at 585-303-0865 they are on North Gravel Rd.Medina and you can see their website at Myboatcanvas.com  I remembered this place passed by it few times while going to fish Glenwood lake in Medina. Maybe he can help.

I called and talked to Mr. McCauley after seeing your response.  He was a very nice fellow and we had a nice chat.  His prices were a bit higher than I wanted to spend. 

Thanks for the reply though.

Got ours from Cabelsa on sale cheap....but and sorry ,no name remembered, use to be a guy in Naples that did custom covers....best I can do.

I should have been more clear in my opening post.  I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with a maker that they would use again.

Thanks for the links in your other post and the info. above.

I had one made years ago by a guy on Union in west Seneca

Was it "A Stitch In Time"?

I talked to the guy this morning.  He is a definite possibility..............

Are you ready to do yours now, maybe we can strike up a deal on two covers??

I am not ready at the moment, you saw what the wife is spending on this house lol

Understood! 

If mine didn't get trashed I wouldn't be doing it.  We have a complete tear off (three roofs on now) roofing event happening in the next week or so and those babies don't come cheap.............. :(

• Like 1

No Lawd you were clear.When looking for that name in Naples some others popped up. I figured that if I posted a few up,perhaps some would post they used one or more of them. Just taking a shot for you..wink

(I have exceeded by quota of "like" for the day so I'll have to owe you one)

:)

Thanks to a roof collapse on the building next to where our boat was stored for the winter, in 2015 we had to have a partial upholstery job to our 22" sea ray, among other things. I think Best Canvas out of Williamson did that part of the repair work. Eastern European gentlemen that started out working for Steves (mentioned by larry302) and then started his own business. He does nice work and seems to really care about the quality. He didn't actually do our canvas (fixed a few snaps) but matched our upholstery perfectly (and did awnings for my fathers house). I am sure he would do a great job on a simple cover if you want to travel that far.

Heard good things about Steves too.

Lawd I had a cover made for my pop up camper by an Amish family in Leon.....this cover was cheap and ten times better then any cover we ever bought elsewhere, let me look for his address if your interested ...we have alsp bought all our boat covers from c-me marine on hertel Ave in North Buffalo...nice shop and fair prices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lawd I had a cover made for my pop up camper by an Amish family in Leon.....this cover was cheap and ten times better then any cover we ever bought elsewhere, let me look for his address if your interested ...we have alsp bought all our boat covers from c-me marine on hertel Ave in North Buffalo...nice shop and fair prices.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For some reason I NEVER think of C-Me Sales.  I've been there a few times and bought some stuff.  IIRC they have a NO return policy on everything.  That turned me off...................

My BIL also mentioned the Amish but didn't have any information on who/where.  I'll watch for your follow up post, thanks. 

Thanks to a roof collapse on the building next to where our boat was stored for the winter, in 2015 we had to have a partial upholstery job to our 22" sea ray, among other things. I think Best Canvas out of Williamson did that part of the repair work. Eastern European gentlemen that started out working for Steves (mentioned by larry302) and then started his own business. He does nice work and seems to really care about the quality. He didn't actually do our canvas (fixed a few snaps) but matched our upholstery perfectly (and did awnings for my fathers house). I am sure he would do a great job on a simple cover if you want to travel that far.

Too far but thanks.

We have a complete tear off (three roofs on now) roofing event happening in the next week or so and those babies don't come cheap.............. :(

Make sure you get 2 complete rows of a ice& water shield at the eave....

Just sayin'......

• Like 1

Make sure you get 2 complete rows of a ice& water shield at the eave....

Just sayin'......

Will do.

We got the quote late last fall, the owner of the business is coming over some night this week to go over things again.