First try at food plot.

I have always wanted to put in some food plots but for 1 reason or another I just never get it done. well I was able to borrow a tractor with a brush hog and I mowed an nice spot in the inside corner of an overgrown field. I raked up the dead grasses, as best I could, I only had a hand rake and I have the blisters to prove it! Then I  hit it with a dose of round up. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then cultivate it and put in some Purple top Turnips. Hope we get some rain soon or nothing will grow!

post-1391-0-33236500-1467646495_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-89004800-1467646501_thumb.jp

post-1391-0-04029300-1467646510_thumb.jp

• Like 4

I am in process on mine.. One thing I've learned from a lot of reading is that if the plot is under an acre it is better to go with a high growth and yield browse tolerant plants.

We were going brassica. But now are just going to do clover since it's a small plot.

Also it seems that correct pH level has a huge impact on the growth and vitality of the plot.

I collected some dirt today and will be buying a pH test kit in the next couple days.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I am in process on mine.. One thing I've learned from a lot of reading is that if the plot is under an acre it is better to go with a high growth and yield browse tolerant plants.

We were going brassica. But now are just going to do clover since it's a small plot.

Also it seems that correct pH level has a huge impact on the growth and vitality of the plot.

I collected some dirt today and will be buying a pH test kit in the next couple days.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

You can still add turnip to the clover (a light seeding so it doesn't shade out clover) let clover establish first.
  • Like 1

A local feed and seed shop, or AG dealer should be able to test it. Or theres places to send it out to.

Mix clovers in with your brassicas/turnips.. clover wont do too much this fall. But will be there 1st thing next April, lush green before anything else is. drawing a crowd lol

As long as you follow the instructions, the kits you can test with at home are just fine. We tested our plots with them last year and compared the results we got back from Whitetail Institute and they were very close. Just make sure your mixing cups and whatnot are clean.

• Like 1

As long as you follow the instructions, the kits you can test with at home are just fine. We tested our plots with them last year and compared the results we got back from Whitetail Institute and they were very close. Just make sure your mixing cups and whatnot are clean.

everyone i know uses county cooperative extension.  never used the whitetail institute one.  good info to know.

I dug up some soil and went to Shamel Milling in E. Concord today. Turns out I know the owners son! They did the soil test for free and it appears my soil is on the acidic side. I'll need to put in a ton of lime. Literally a ton! I picked up about half of the lime and got some wildlife meadows mix (mostly clover)  plus I got some Ground Hog radish seed to mix in. I'll need to work up the soil and add the limestone. Then I will wait and plant it 2-3 week of August. Wish me luck!

I dug up some soil and went to Shamel Milling in E. Concord today. Turns out I know the owners son! They did the soil test for free and it appears my soil is on the acidic side. I'll need to put in a ton of lime. Literally a ton! I picked up about half of the lime and got some wildlife meadows mix (mostly clover) plus I got some Ground Hog radish seed to mix in. I'll need to work up the soil and add the limestone. Then I will wait and plant it 2-3 week of August. Wish me luck!

Jason? Hes a good dude and very informative. He does alot of qdma talks that are free to the public.

Yes, Jason worked at the town in our planning department for a few years before returning to the family business. I worked with him on a lot of projects. Very knowledgeable guy when it comes to agriculture and deer management. I believe he also  ran the Bait and shoot program for the town.

• Like 1

Work in the lime and fertilizer when you cultivate/disk up the dead grass.  

Suggestion, disk up the dead grass working in the fert. and lime.  Then give it a week or so.  The seed in the soil (called the seed bank) will sprout up a whole new crop of weeds and grasses.  

Disk it smooth a second time and plant.  If you really have the time,and with brassicas now you do, after the second disking, smooth the plot, wait a week for new weed to emerge and hit it again with roundup.

Wait another two weeks and plant the brassicas without any further disking/cultivation.

Every time you cultivate/disk, you are bringing up thousands of dormant weed/grass seed from the seed bank in the soil.

Hope this helps.