Traditional

Billdogge

Last year I took 2 deer with a barebow recurve.  First was a das dalaa and second was an old bear Kodiak magnum both 50lbs at 28".

This year I will be hunting with a black widow pchx with the same DW.

I typically shoot FMJs that come in at about 13gpp, using 200g german kinetic heads.  Last year I shot strickland helix single bevel heads.

What are you planning? 

• Like 1

I use a black widow PSA made in 04 or a Bighorn Fred Asbell made. I still shoot a compound too however, working construction and powerlifting beat up my shoulders so I sometimes find it tough to practice. This summer all is good. Bighorn is 60, Widow 63 lbs.

used to shoot custom King tapered cedar, Zwickau glue on heads. Can't seem to find any so now I'm using beman ics, w stingers

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

I have much respect for traditional guys. Some day I may try it my friend in Seattle always breaks my balls about my bow with training wheels....

He hunts with buys made by Glen St, Charles and Bill Stewert . He's a friend of the St Charles family and actually owns half Glen's work bench ( other half is in P&Y museum ) .

I met Glen at his shop North West Archery many moons ago, close as I come to being a trad guy.

Bow Guy, I have a bunch of Mangus two blade swedged heads, what you call glue on I believe , if you're interested , I shot a swedged arrow with 5 inch feathers , fingers off my first compound for dozen years or so.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Super Kodiak 60" AMO with 50lb @28" limbs.  homemade wool string silencers.  no rests or sights.  just shelf to rest arrow on.  Goldtip Traditional 500 shafts, full length, with 5" feathers, 100gr brass inserts with more insert weights screwed into them inside the shaft, 100gr Magnus stinger heads or 100gr NAP hellrazors.

• Like 2

You should start shooting now than in order to be honestly profecient

Funds are a little tight this year so I would like to purchase next year and practice. I have no intentions of hunting with it next year. Completely agree I would need to be proficient with it before hunting so next year is definitely out of the question as far as hunting goes. 

Funds are a little tight this year so I would like to purchase next year and practice. I have no intentions of hunting with it next year. Completely agree I would need to be proficient with it before hunting so next year is definitely out of the question as far as hunting goes.

Look for a used bow til things ease up. The shelf will be higher if you're gonna shoot off that but Id bet you could find one cheap or even have some given to you. Either way best of luck

Yep, I just pulled out my bighorn bowhunting ram hunter longbow and my  rhino longbow to start to get ready, hope its not too late.

The Ram Hunter is 60" and 42 lbs at my draw of 25", the Rhino is my form practice bow, also 60" and about 29lbs at the same draw-I use it to practice form.

The ram hunter is set up using 3 fletch carbon express 90's and wensel woodsman 200gr non-fluted broadheads.  This combo was established for me by Ken Beck at Black Widow Bows G.Fred Asbell shooting clinic a few years ago.

Don't knock heavy heads, this combo is STEALTH personified, super quiet without any silencers and still shoots well enough to take anything within my ~25 yard personal range.

I shoot 3 fingers split and use a black widow stick tight glove and an Asbell shoulder quiver.  I also wear King of the Mountain wool for warmth and quiet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a special kind of respect for you guys that didn't sell out to the tech craze of the 70's like I eventually did. And the same for those who have discovered a love for doing it the old-school way. It is what archery season started out as and was established for. Back when the original archers worked to form a season for their particular form of deer hunting challenge they understood the value of handicapping themselves. It is good that a few still are preserving those ideals.

20 hours ago, Doc said:

I have a special kind of respect for you guys that didn't sell out to the tech craze of the 70's like I eventually did. And the same for those who have discovered a love for doing it the old-school way. It is what archery season started out as and was established for. Back when the original archers worked to form a season for their particular form of deer hunting challenge they understood the value of handicapping themselves. It is good that a few still are preserving those ideals.

This is not true, it was all training for the day of crossbows