Camper or "shed"

crfingnutz

Hey guys I just finalized purchasing some land in Otsego county and am looking for input on whether I should put a camper on the property or buy one of those prebuilt 12x20 sheds? Anyone know what the regulations are on those sheds? I will only be spending probably 1 weekend a month there.thanks for any help.

Here's something that saved me some green;

I owned my hunting camp for about 20 yrs before I built my house there. About 5 years into ownership I bought a cheap camper and parked it on the property. About 1 and 1/2 years later I got a heckuva surprise in my tax bill. It went up 700%!!

They tried to say that I now had a seasonal residence on what was once vacant land. When I explained that I was simply parking my REGISTERED camper there, they backed off completely. Well, I think my tax bill went up $25. But it would have gone up $3000.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Here's something that saved me some green;

I owned my hunting camp for about 20 yrs before I built my house there. About 5 years into ownership I bought a cheap camper and parked it on the property. About 1 and 1/2 years later I got a heckuva surprise in my tax bill. It went up 700%!!

They tried to say that I now had a seasonal residence on what was once vacant land. When I explained that I was simply parking my REGISTERED camper there, they backed off completely. Well, I think my tax bill went up $25. But it would have gone up $3000.

Interesting because per square foot I'm sure it's cheaper and probably more comfortable to go with a wooden structure, but even a small one could be construed as a livable structure and you can't pretend it's just being stored there. 

Thanks for the responses. Property is in worcester, I was told (and read on the worcester town website) that there is a permit needed to leave campers on land without a permanent residence. How could I avoid tax issues with a 12x20 shed, I think anything over 140 sq ft. requires a permit? I do believe that the less the county/town people know the better. Thanks

Shed, spray foam 2" the walls, and ceiling. and the critters won't live in the walls. They use batt insulation as nests. Look into some solar panels with small battery array or do all propane. They have those nifty propane wall lamps that us a mantle just need to plumb for propane. A plus with propane is you can have one of those vent free wall units for heat.

Humphrey light:

https://www.amazon.com/Humphrey-Hunter-9GR-Pre-formed-Mantle/dp/B00FDX1HTM/ref=pd_lpo_263_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GBTZ3JVZ3E9ZYPK4P9EW

Wall heater (non infrared):

https://www.amazon.com/PROCOM-Blue-Flame-Vent-Heater/dp/B002NVGJO0/ref=sr_1_2?s=appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1473870771&sr=1-2&keywords=lp+wall+heater

Edited by chas0218
added links

I recently purchased in Otsego county and built a small cabin.  If I recall correctly, I don't think I was allowed to put a camper on the property.  My place is built on 6x6 poles and my taxes did go up- not sure exactly what Hunterman was referring to.  I had to have a building permit and was required to build it to code.  Not sure if the rules are the same throughout the county.  Not sure if you would need a permit for a shed.  If you do, you should be careful not to let on that you plan to use it as a camp.  The inspectors were pretty diligent with my project.  If they sense that you're planning to 'occupy' the structure, even occasionally, they could probably make you miserable.