3rd Axis Bow Sights

DirtTime

But, for those with a level on their sight, do you look at it when drawing on a deer ( how do you have time? ). The sight on my bow has a level, haven't looked at it once. Shooting pretty well. So what would the 3rd axis do to make my shots or groups better. I am not trolling, just looking for why the 3rd axis would come into play for hunting. 

But, for those with a level on their sight, do you look at it when drawing on a deer ( how do you have time? ). The sight on my bow has a level, haven't looked at it once. Shooting pretty well. So what would the 3rd axis do to make my shots or groups better. I am not trolling, just looking for why the 3rd axis would come into play for hunting. 

Level is first thing I look at then a quick glance before I touch off...always it does make a difference usually really close...especially useful if shooting at awkward angle my .02

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ALL my sights including hunting sights have 2nd and 3rd axis adjustability.  you can do fine without it and many times it means a more expensive bow sight.  that said I don't think I've shot a deer with a bow on flat ground in years.  aiming up or down an incline or from an elevated stand/blind is more common and can make the bubble level do weird things if off on one axis.  if your standing on a side hill, especially with a shorter axle-to-axle hunting bow it's not hard to cant the bow.  when holding tight behind the shoulder, a little cant might mean getting a little too close to the shoulder.  the opposite could mean a clipped liver only and letting the buck sit over night if not losing it.  it's a little thing I have the means of using so I use it.

• Like 1

If you want your sight set up correctly to compensate for torque in up or down hill shots then setting the third axis is must. It's so easy to do with modern sights that have the adjust ....why wouldn't you? What's it hurt? Nothing ..it's fast and easy to do. Don't go half ass...do it right

10 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

If you want your sight set up correctly to compensate for torque in up or down hill shots then setting the third axis is must. It's so easy to do with modern sights that have the adjust ....why wouldn't you? What's it hurt? Nothing ..it's fast and easy to do. Don't go half ass...do it right

https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/33907-1st-shot-daily-pics/?page=13#comment-497775

Think I am doing pretty well without it. 

Yea standing flat footed in a hall. Very realistic to hunting situations . Do the same from 20 foot up a tree shooting down hill at a deer further making it a tough angle. Ever shoot up or down off a ledge? any slight cant will string your shot right or left into the cant without proper third axis adjustment.

Same can be said for all the western hunting i have done, most shots are on an angle to some degree.

If you had your answer already and "good enough" was going to be good enough for you no matter what then your just looking for self validation. That easy to find. Enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Yea standing flat footed in a hall. Very realistic to hunting situations . Do the same from 20 foot up a tree shooting down hill at a deer further making it a tough angle. Ever shoot up or down off a ledge? any slight cant will string your shot right or left into the cant without proper third axis adjustment.

Same can be said for all the western hunting i have done, most shots are on an angle to some degree.

If you had your answer already and "good enough" was going to be good enough for you no matter what then your just looking for self validation. That easy to fine. Enjoy it.

Look, I am doing what I have to do to get my bow hitting where I want it to with limited range. If you feel the need to be a shithead and degrade me for that then so be it. 

Look, I am doing what I have to do to get my bow hitting where I want it to with limited range. If you feel the need to be a shithead and degrade me for that then so be it. 

You can set the third axis on a sight that has the adjustment Any place that you can draw the bow back and raise or lower it at an angle. Other then that all you need is a straight edge like a corner wall or door frame. It takes all of 5 minutes.

You can set the third axis on a sight that has the adjustment Any place that you can draw the bow back and raise or lower it at an angle. Other then that all you need is a straight edge like a corner wall or door frame. It takes all of 5 minutes.

I believe the op was simply looking into them as his current sight doesn't have it. So therefore he was checking to see if it was super necessary to invest and spend on a more expensive sight with 3rd axis.....just guessing tho.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 9:04 PM, ....rob said:

Everyone is looking it up now. 

HAHA i was just googling it!

FWIW I am religious about looking at my level. Maybe even too much. I have to admit I have not even fired a single volley without deliberately tiling my bow to see how much it matters at hunting distances. I'm sure for any sort of range it becomes pretty important, though.

Edited by Core