How for would you take I shot at a deer with a crossbow

LJC

13 minutes ago, LJC said:

How for would you take a shot at a deer with a crossbow .

This Just a poll  really ,I personally would not shoot anything over 40 yards with any archery equipment 

I do 40 with my bow on calm deer without a problem. 40 with Crossbow should be cake with normal practice. Today the equipment is top notch so with the hunter doing his part 40 should be no problem.

I guess after 15 years things get easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I do 40 with my bow on calm deer without a problem. 40 with Crossbow should be cake with normal practice. Today the equipment is top notch so with the hunter doing his part 40 should be no problem.

I guess after 15 years things get easier.

Man I thought the crossguns to out to 150 yards straight as a bullet :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, burmjohn said:

Man I thought the crossguns to out to 150 yards straight as a bullet :rolleyes:

Deer actually have  been known to move out of the way of arrows it's called jumping the string  that's why any archery instructor will tell you not to take shots farther then 40 yards really 20 to 30 until you get enough experience. 

Yea, in  Theory you could kill a deer with crossbow or bow much farther then that but there is a good chance it will move by the time the arrow gets there alot of newbies don't think about that .

Edited by LJC
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, LJC said:

Deer actually have  been known to move out of the way of arrows it's called jumping the string  that's why any archery instructor will tell you not to take shots farther then 40 yards really 20 to 30 until you get enough experience. 

Yea, in  Theory you could kill a deer with crossbow or bow much farther then that but there is a good chance it will move by the time the arrow gets there alot of newbies don't think about that .

Deer can jump string at 30 though as well. My bet is that bad shooting form is responsible for far more missed hits than the deer ducking the string.

I have shot exactly one bolt at a deer with my entry-level 300 fps crossbow and it pierced his heart at 59 yards.  Although it hit the right spot, it only had enough energy to penetrate 8".  The accuracy was there but not the energy.  I like "pass thru".  All of my other archery kills (with a compound bow) have been less than 35 yards.

I don't think that "string" jump is an issue beyond 40 yards, because that is about the extent of a deer's "danger-zone" (where they will react to the sound of the release).   That may vary a bit depending on how loud your bow is (my 300 fps model is not very loud).  I have seen deer move very far after my compound's release (in the 15-30 yard range), and caught a couple shoulder blades as a result of that.  

The buck who's heart I hit at 59 yards never flinched at the release but did a very fast 40 yard dash to his death after the hit.  Range is just one of many variables that need to be considered when taking a shot at a deer.  Now that I know the energy limitations of my current set-up, I will limit shots with it to 50 yards.  I picked up a range finder last year to help me with that.  

Range is just about the easiest variable there is to learn your limitations on with a crossbow.

I was joking :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Core said:

Deer can jump string at 30 though as well. My bet is that bad shooting form is responsible for far more missed hits than the deer ducking the string.

Probably your right about that  well think about it your in a stand or blind most likely your not going to be shooting in perfect form in hunting situations.

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have shot exactly one bolt at a deer with my entry-level 300 fps crossbow and it pierced his heart at 59 yards.  Although it hit the right spot, it only had enough energy to penetrate 8".  The accuracy was there but not the energy.  I like "pass thru".  All of my other archery kills (with a compound bow) have been less than 35 yards.

I don't think that "string" jump is an issue beyond 40 yards, because that is about the extent of a deer's "danger-zone" (where they will react to the sound of the release).   That may vary a bit depending on how loud your bow is (my 300 fps model is not very loud).  I have seen deer move very far after my compound's release (in the 15-30 yard range), and caught a couple shoulder blades as a result of that.  

The buck who's heart I hit at 59 yards never flinched at the release but did a very fast 40 yard dash to his death after the hit.  Range is just one of many variables that need to be considered when taking a shot at a deer.  Now that I know the energy limitations of my current set-up, I will limit shots with it to 50 yards.  I picked up a range finder last year to help me with that.  

Range is just about the easiest variable there is to learn your limitations on with a crossbow.

What type of broadhead did you use ? 

The expandables don't have as much penetration as the old fashion indian points at those distances you basically left with the kinetic energy of   a 40 ib recurve  

A 400 grain arrow shot at 300 FPS has, at 60 yards, the same KE as a 400 grain arrow shot from a 320 IBO bow @ 70 lbs with a 29" draw length at 0 yards. Lack of pass through at that range would have been due to hitting bone.

40...that's with xbow and compound under good conditions on a nonalert deer. They both shoot the same basically

The top of the line crossbows now are basically so darn fast they have half the drop at 50 yards as a decent compound.

1 hour ago, Core said:

A 400 grain arrow shot at 300 FPS has, at 60 yards, the same KE as a 400 grain arrow shot from a 320 IBO bow @ 70 lbs with a 29" draw length at 0 yards. Lack of pass through at that range would have been due to hitting bone.

The top of the line crossbows now are basically so darn fast they have half the drop at 50 yards as a decent compound.

You know the ones with the 400 plus fps  can be 800 to well over $1000 don't no know how many guys will be using them at this point . 

You can  get a compound  with similar kinetic energy if you want they make 80 90 100 pound draw weight compound bows of course you néed the strength to use them 

Edited by LJC

The 59 yard heart-shot bolt had a red-head blackout 3-blade, 125 gr, expandable broadhead on it.   It did not strike any bone.  I also have fixed muzzy 125's, but I prefer the expanders at longer range to reduce the planing effect and better cross-wind resistance.   I would still be ok with a 50 yard shot from that $250 x-bow, using those expandables, now that I know exactly what the penetration is into a live deer at longer range with the combination.    There would have to be no obstructions, a good rest, and the deer would need to be non-alert and broadside with little or no crosswind for me to take it however, just like that one two years ago.   That combination holds a 2" group at that range under those conditions, so as long as I aim for the right hair, and keep on good terms with the Man upstairs, there are no worries.   Those of you who forget that last part are in for some trouble no matter how much you practice or spend on equipment.      

4 hours ago, LJC said:

You know the ones with the 400 plus fps  can be 800 to well over $1000 don't no know how many guys will be using them at this point . 

You can  get a compound  with similar kinetic energy if you want they make 80 90 100 pound draw weight compound bows of course you néed the strength to use them 

But you can get a 370 FPS for $280 :drinks: 

As long as I'm slinging a stick with a string, be it compound or crossbow. Maximum shooting distance at game will stay at 30 yards for me. Even though I  can hit "targets" from much farther out. I like getting close to the deer I hunt. And will leave the long range shooting to others.

• Like 1