Are these average size Bucks for Letchworth Park area ?

Hang Em High

I purchased this home as a foreclosure- never seeing the house or 10 acres of land. The property has a ravine - a couple acres of flat land on top and a couple acres of field. I  have never hunted in this area are these average size deer for the area or did I hit the Jackpot ? 

The field behind my property is a 100 acre clover field, I am hoping to get some day time photos on my ten acres of bucks, there is not many woods in the area.

Here is  8 days of trail camera photos, bunch of does and handful of bucks. 

PICT0130.JPG

PICT0235.JPG

PICT0229.JPG

PICT0222.JPG

PICT0126.JPG

PICT0121.JPG

• Like 1

I have some property in the area and would say that is pretty typical in terms of what I see...   There is a lot of agriculture around, which helps a lot

That said, there is a big difference between getting them on camera, at night this time of year and being successful during bow or gun season...

• Like 2

Nice looking deer and typical of what I see here by the park. With your place only having a few acres of woods or cover, surrounded by fields, it might be difficult to have deer stay on the property, unless you just don't walk around on it much at all. But congrats on the new property and good luck with your endeavors there!!

Is it on the west side of the park or east ?

Thank's for the input guys, I would like to optimize the buck tags I have on this property as this will be the only year I will own the property. I am going to try to hold off on work once all the carpets and wet stuff is removed from inside- finish the work after the season and sell in the spring. 
Seems like a special property, has been in the same family for 180 years, pretty sad to see everything they left behind. 

I know it will be a challenge to get bucks onto this block of timber as you said " T Barb" , I am hoping that only having 1 neighbor ( which appears to be a hunting/camping site)  and a mixture of corn and clover across the street helps deer activity. 

There are acorns all over on the ground in the woods, hopefully that helps. I will be setting up on the field edge , hoping deer come to the acorns or water in ravine. Will have a grunt call and antlers with me later in the season, any other suggestions those privy to the area of seeing mature bucks in these small blocks of timber I do appreciate the input. 

• Like 1

That is about average fir over there...the great thing about a small wood lot with some acorns and a hunting camp next door....is you will probably have them use you as a morning evening walk way or a pressured escape route...bad thing an established camp..next to unoccupied property....good luck with that...

8 minutes ago, growalot said:

That is about average fir over there...the great thing about a small wood lot with some acorns and a hunting camp next door....is you will probably have them use you as a morning evening walk way or a pressured escape route...bad thing an established camp..next to unoccupied property....good luck with that...

Thanks for the input, I gave the previous family a couple months to find a new residence and get there things together. They actually never met the neighboring camp in the 10 years or so since they have owned it. They just moved out 2 weeks ago, so the property has not been vacant long. I am hoping with them out of the house, deer frequent more during the day also- they seemed like quite the loud house hold. 

That is exciting to hear about morning and afternoon walk throughs- my fingers are crossed !

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nice bucks. I'm looping in the Park Expert ( @Four Season Whitetails ) for his thoughts.

LOL...18 years of hunting a spot does make one learn something i guess. Most of them are average for our farm property that borders the park on the Mt Morris end but its the 2nd pic and bigger that is the average where we hang out on the park.

Is the property on the East or the West side of the park?

27 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

LOL...18 years of hunting a spot does make one learn something i guess. Most of them are average for our farm property that borders the park on the Mt Morris end but its the 2nd pic and bigger that is the average where we hang out on the park.

Is the property on the East or the West side of the park?

You should post some pics of those deer sometime! 

Thanks for the info Four Season Whitetails, that is very exciting to think bucks of that caliper are common in the area or bigger.  With this intel, I will be pretty selective this season out there. 

I am not that familiar with the area, but I head South down 408, couple miles down from where I seen a damn sign entrance . East side of road and park. Are you around that area ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hang Em High said:

Thanks for the info Four Season Whitetails, that is very exciting to think bucks of that caliper are common in the area or bigger.  With this intel, I will be pretty selective this season out there. 

I am not that familiar with the area, but I head South down 408, couple miles down from where I seen a damn sign entrance . East side of road and park. Are you around that area ? 

We have land on the West at Mt Morris and up outside the Castile gate. The East side is really the better side when it comes to size but its faster to the river going down the West side and working up the East from the bottom. It all depends if you want to hunt to food or the Woods/River. If your land fails you are still sitting within miles of some of the best big buck hunting in the state.

I though for sure you were going to say the West Side of the park was the hot spot, I am getting more and more excited about this area. I reside in Rochester and normally drive about an hour past Mount Morris so some state land I hunt. It will be interesting to see what this property produces, if nothing else a place to sleep and wonder to the park. Thanks for the info Four Season Whitetails.  I seen your comment about previously harvested deer, I will look around and see if I can find them.