Polar plunge!

wooly

Be carefull out there everyone. I got a good reminder today of just how cold out it still is even with this warm up.

Slipped out for a quick hike this afternoon and was running a little late to make it home before dark without a light on me.

I decided to take the easy path by walking the frozen creek back towards home when I got on some skinny ice without realizing it.

It doesn't look like much, but my feet never hit bottom and the only thing that held me above the surface was my pack getting hung up on the ice behind me in the hole.

Talk about an eye opener ;). I had water up to my armpits, my cam around my neck got submerged completely but somehow still functions, the only thing that saved my azz was that dang backpack of mine.

Fortunately where I went through was a downed tree under the snow I pulled myself back up on to get out.

Let me tell ya....it wasn't easy as I thought it'd be. The water here is about 6 feet deep in the summer so I don't know what it is now but I'm only 5' 9".

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

Glad you got out ok..Could have been a life threatening situation..

Thanks Pygmy...it was scary...very scary to say the least. My dumb ass should have known better to not test the ice with a spud ahead from the visual warnings it gave. I'm normally really good at recognizing and avoiding situations like this but this one caught me by surprise with no time to prepare for it before the ice breaker.

Glad you got out OK !

I was out last week, before we got that warm spell. Ice was hard EXCEPT near the shore line where the snow was deeper than 1-2 inches.

It seemed that the  snow insulated it enough to made it (the ice) real skinny!

Went threw in a couple spots, but, thankfully only deep enough to get my boots wet.

Be careful on ice where the snow has it covered!

Wooly,  have you thawed out yet and have you been able to sleep without flashbacks? Good thing you didn't panic.

Hmmmm.....not so sure sleep's a good idea about now. The day before this I was at a local cemetary taking some photos. Rumor has it the place is haunted. ::D Tonight while watching the Sabres beat up on them Canadians, the doorbell rings but nobody's there. I think somethings trying to take me to the other side,lol. ??? ??? ???

CSC_0964.jpg