Predator Control Is A Must!

Rattler

For all those who think predators are not a problem and will balance wildlife naturally, the pipe dream of the anti-hunting groups that having wildlife controlled by predators will work, never works!  Currently they think putting mountain lions in suburban deer areas is a good idea.  They have no common sense.

https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2016/9/29/predator-control-is-game-management/

• Like 4

Coyote control is addressed in that article too.  It proves the hunting seasons for yotes in NY actually increase coyote populations, because they only allow yote hunting in the fall months.  Coyotes ARE having a big effect on deer numbers in NY because they kill fawns in the spring when they are feeding their pups.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

I can say with certainty, that the more coyotes you kill, the more deer you will have. Seen it, done it and continuing to do it! It's that simple. Let the bashing begin........

Kill 'em all ( coyotes ) and let God sort em out. ( not condoning out of season mind you   If it's legal let an arrow fly or send a high speed dose of lead poisoning ) 

Just subjected myself to bashing part #2 

• Like 5

I'm with everyone else. You see a yote you put it down if possible. I grew up watching everyone in my family and everyone else I know for that matter, not give a damn if they were in season or not. Now that I think about it....I think this forum is probably the only place I've even seen someone mention NOT shooting them out of "season" lol

Tuesday night I got home from work a little after midnight and walked behind the garage to take a leak before heading inside. A big pack of coyotes started howling like crazy about a mile away to the east. I figure they were over in the farm fields on the other side of the nearest road in that direction. They went on and on for about 5 mins then stopped. I turned to walk towards the house and all of a sudden, BANG BANG BANG!! Farmer must of heard them howling and woke up and fired a few shots at them lol. Made me laugh though. Glad I'm not the only one in the area trying to knock them down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I'm with everyone else. You see a yote you put it down if possible. I grew up watching everyone in my family and everyone else I know for that matter, not give a damn if they were in season or not. Now that I think about it....I think this forum is probably the only place I've even seen someone mention NOT shooting them out of "season" lol

The only reason I won't is because I care about my hunting privileges to much to risk loosing them.

16 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Now that I think about it....I think this forum is probably the only place I've even seen someone mention NOT shooting them out of "season" lol

I think this forum is the only place I've ever seen a deer hunter disagree with shooting them.

• Like 4

Typical young bucks scraping their fork horns on a galvanized post in here spouting about admittedly being poachers. On your own property is one thing (if you can prove they're a nuisance) and no, preying on "your precious deer" is not grounds for nuisance killing.
Go on and do what you're gonna do because yer pappy and grandpappy done it, but you really need not come around here and share your poaching notions with the many new/young hunters who visit our site.
We are supposed to be stewards of the land and yes they may be coyotes, but poaching is poaching so all in all you're doing nothing but losing credibility on this site. Now when we hear of headless deer along the roadside we'll have a list of probable suspects.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

Typical young bucks scraping their fork horns on a galvanized post in here spouting about admittedly being poachers. On your own property is one thing (if you can prove they're a nuisance) and no, preying on "your precious deer" is not grounds for nuisance killing.
Go on and do what you're gonna do because yer pappy and grandpappy done it, but you really need not come around here and share your poaching notions with the many new/young hunters who visit our site.
We are supposed to be stewards of the land and yes they may be coyotes, but poaching is poaching so all in all you're doing nothing but losing credibility on this site. Now when we hear of headless deer along the roadside we'll have a list of probable suspects.

I'm glad someone chimed in with some common sense.  I have no special sympathy in my heart for yotes, at least no more sympathy than I have for deer, bear, cottontails or any other species that is widely available.  I do acknowledge that they have a role to fulfill in the ecosystem and as well I respect the hunting seasons laid out by the DEC (even if I don't 100% agree with them).  And I have no problem with a hunter legally taking a few out to give some fawn a better chance of survival come springtime.  

But people need to realize that in order for coyote levels to be truly depressed or managed, we would need a state-wide (and probably state-sponsored) hunting and trapping program, kind of like what some of the southern states do for their hog problem.  Taking the random shot at some coyotes while out deer hunting won't do much to their population in the long run, as their females will just have bigger litters to compensate for the hunting pressure.  The NRA article even says as much.  They're not like wolves where their numbers can be quickly depressed through public hunting.  

• Like 2

Lmfao. Your list of "suspects" will be as long as hillarys deleted emails list....in just one county. So ya better get started on that list of yours

• Like 1

On 9/30/2016 at 7:44 PM, Padre86 said:

Taking the random shot at some coyotes while out deer hunting won't do much to their population in the long run, as their females will just have bigger litters to compensate for the hunting pressure.  The NRA article even says as much.  They're not like wolves where their numbers can be quickly depressed through public hunting.  

I assume you failed to read the whole article.  It specifically stated hunting yotes in the spring is needed to keep them in check and limit fawn loses.  NY only allows fall hunting for yotes which according to the article is a mistake when trying to protect deer numbers.  NY is doing it wrong because it is getting pressure from a lot of anti hunting groups as well as misinformed hunters and animal lovers.  Yotes are predators.  That's what they do.  And they do it with extreme prejudice.  We are letting them become a huge problem while ignoring all the evidence of their effects on deer numbers.

The Outdoor Life article also says spring hunting of yotes works.  It actually verifies yotes kill fawns in spring by recommending fewer does be taken in coyote areas during deer season.  Know why?  More does will produce more fawns and more of them will survive.  i'd suggest shooting more yotes in spring is better than taking fewer does.  Hunters want to shoot a deer during deer season.  The yotes have no food value.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2016 at 7:44 PM, Padre86 said:

I'm glad someone chimed in with some common sense.  I have no special sympathy in my heart for yotes, at least no more sympathy than I have for deer, bear, cottontails or any other species that is widely available.  I do acknowledge that they have a role to fulfill in the ecosystem and as well I respect the hunting seasons laid out by the DEC (even if I don't 100% agree with them).  And I have no problem with a hunter legally taking a few out to give some fawn a better chance of survival come springtime.  

But people need to realize that in order for coyote levels to be truly depressed or managed, we would need a state-wide (and probably state-sponsored) hunting and trapping program, kind of like what some of the southern states do for their hog problem.  Taking the random shot at some coyotes while out deer hunting won't do much to their population in the long run, as their females will just have bigger litters to compensate for the hunting pressure.  The NRA article even says as much.  They're not like wolves where their numbers can be quickly depressed through public hunting.  

LOL...This theory has been proven wrong. You can wipe out a Yote population if you want them gone. No means is to harsh.  I love how the ones that make the rules do not have to deal with them. I didnt buy my land for a bunch of vermin to destroy what i built and love.  I will gladly take any ticket or fine if that was the case but there are loop holes in everything if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

Rattler: "ny only allows coyote hunting in the fall"

I just looked it up in the regs book and it say's that coyotes can actually be hunted from October 1 thru March 26 so that includes most of fall, all of winter, and a little bit of spring.   I used to be a coyote "hater" myself, but I have learned to live with them.   They fill an important role in the harvest of the weak deer.   That makes the surviving deer stronger and healthier.

Coyotes are fun to hunt after deer season ends.   My favorite method is to shoot them at night, from my bedroom window, over a pile of deer carcasses out back.   I even pick up a road-kill deer when I find them after deer season ends, to add to that pile.

There are plenty of coyotes around now, and I would prefer the season be open all year.   The pups are most vulnerable in early summer before they learn the ropes.   I could easily pick of entire litters with a semi-auto, .22 rimfire while cutting hay. 

Rattler: "ny only allows coyote hunting in the fall"

I just looked it up in the regs book and it say's that coyotes can actually be hunted from October 1 thru March 26 so that includes most of fall, all of winter, and a little bit of spring.   I used to be a coyote "hater" myself, but I have learned to live with them.   They fill an important role in the harvest of the weak deer.   That makes the surviving deer stronger and healthier.

Coyotes are fun to hunt after deer season ends.   My favorite method is to shoot them at night, from my bedroom window, over a pile of deer carcasses out back.   I even pick up a road-kill deer when I find them after deer season ends, to add to that pile.

There are plenty of coyotes around now, and I would prefer the season be open all year.   The pups are most vulnerable in early summer before they learn the ropes.   I could easily pick of entire litters with a semi-auto, .22 rimfire while cutting hay. 

7 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I just looked it up in the regs book and it say's that coyotes can actually be hunted from October 1 thru March 26 so that includes most of fall, all of winter, and a little bit of spring.  

That does not include the time that does start dropping fawns.  Yotes have litters at the same time deer drop fawns and they need to feed their young.  One litter of 4 pups can consume as many as 40 fawns before they leave their mother.

There was a time when their population was so low, nobody even knew they existed in the area.  How important is their role in the wild when it didn't matter if they were there decades ago?

They do serve as an effective deer population control element, if you don't care about a huntable deer population.  Hunters who deny their effect on deer populations may soon find hunting isn't needed to control deer in the near future.  That may actually be the real plan from the beginning.  Especially since the anti's are now talking about other types of predators being introduced to further decimate deer populations.

• Like 3