Old does teeth

Hock3y24

• 2 weeks later...

looking around and saw this thread.... definitely older than guesses made.  can't see them in the photos but at 15+ the front incisors can start to turn into nubs at the jaw bone.  can still be pulled and sent in to a lab though.  DEC could give guidance to send it in but we also do it.  let me know if you need info.  Matson's Lab website explains it all though.  I'd save that jawbone and bleach it like a euro mount.  definitely a trophy.

• Like 1

I shot a doe last Saturday and a buck a few years ago that only had the 5-6 lower jaw, front teeth. Doe was super fat and w/o a fawn. Not sure what it could have been eating with the lack of chompers to get so fat & old, since there's no grain crops around the area??? Not overly concerned with aging her, but guessing 7-8yo or more!

• Like 1

Quite a few years ago now, my uncle shot an old doe during rifle season. We butchered it and kept the lower jaw When we were entering the NYS thruway heading home, we stopped at the DEC deer check station. The biologist said the doe was at least 9 maybe 10 as her teeth were very worn. He asked my uncle if he could have the jaw . He said he didn't have one that old for his display. He gave it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

i think I'm going to send them out to get officially aged when I get the $, it makes me more interested everyday I look at them. I have already dried them and cleaned them up but not bleached as I did not want to ruin the teeth. 

I'll PM you chances are there's someone else sending in teeth that yours can go with.  It's usually cheaper to send them in as a group (around $15 per deer).  We usually send them in around Late Dec to early January.  There may be someone closer though.  For now look up what to do on their website.  don't keep the jawbone or teeth in say a plastic bag.  keep them in something that will breathe so they don't rot and can't be used.

6 hours ago, hunterdan44 said:

Quite a few years ago now, my uncle shot an old doe during rifle season. We butchered it and kept the lower jaw When we were entering the NYS thruway heading home, we stopped at the DEC deer check station. The biologist said the doe was at least 9 maybe 10 as her teeth were very worn. He asked my uncle if he could have the jaw . He said he didn't have one that old for his display. He gave it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the NYS big game leader/biologist (Hurst) has one that's 16.5 years old that looks similar to this one. it's from a radio collared doe he did a study on. here in Albany around the APB preserve there was supposedly a collared doe that was that old.  maybe same one I don't know.  i think the first one was from years ago with the second being more recent.  they're definitely not common and as rare as a more mature buck.  without a doubt just as smart too.

• Like 1