woolys 2016 journal

wooly

Archery season came and went like a firecracker that never popped for me. For some reason, the action I was seeing didn't line up with my expectations.

Opening day of the regular season sparked a new level of excitement for me though. Me and sis spent the morning in our blind across the road from me. I should have listened to all my uncertainty setting up the blind yesterday. This morning we saw deer crossing everywhere except where we were offering zero shot opportunities. The neighbors on the other hand were having a blast..... literally! Between two of them they let 8 shots rip less than 100yds to each side of us. On our way out around noon we bumped into them hot on a bloodtrail I'm almost certain they never found the end of.

Sis had some things to do this evening and didn't want to risk getting stuck in the predicted storm so she headed home early.
That left me with a few hours to myself to sneak off to one of my more remote blinds I'd been saving behind the house.

The weather was really suckin' but I was content to sit till dark here. Around 4PM the sound of gunfire began to echo through the hills again and my senses heightened.
Not long after the initial wave of shots, I spotted a group of antlerless running out the right window of my blind where they came to a screeching halt when they hit my cloud of cherry and berry vape,lol

One doe stood out from all the rest. She was the mother doe... the swamp donkey.... an absolute frickin' PIG! It didn't take long for me to decide she was the trophy I was after today!
I steadied the crosshairs of the ol' smokepole smack dab on her shoulder and dropped her in her tracks! As I walked up to her she just kept getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger! I was STOAKED, but I was also running out of daylight, so I wasted no time snapping a few quick pics with the point and shoot and got her gutted.

By he time I got her dragged back to the main trail it was already dark and I had at least a mile to go to get home. I was rushing and overheating and needed to slow down and cool down. I took a few layers off and decided to cover her carcass with them so the yotes wouldn't bother her and return to drag her out in the morning. Half way home I saw my other neighbors headlights from his side by side up at his pond. Turns out they were guests of his who graciously agreed to retrieve my deer and give me a lift back to home base with my beast!

I didn't have my good camera with me due to the weather so I won't have any quality field photos until the morning. I did grab a few quick clicks with the point and shoot for a teaser though.
All in all, it turned out to be a very rewarding hunt for me that I really enjoyed every aspect of considering I really wasn't planning on killing anything that wasn't an exceptional animal while I was alone! I'm very thankfull all hope may not be lost for my future in hunting as I had thought!

DSCN0023_01.JPG

• Like 15

4 pm must have been the time for whopper does today.   That is exactly the time I pulled the trigger on one when she came out to investigate the gut-pile of a button-head that my buddy had killed this morning.  She looks to be in the 140 - 150 pound field-dressed range.  She still had milk in her and I suspect that may have been her fawn.  At least they are together now, on the meat pole.  It has been a few years since I have been blessed with a button and man was that liver good for dinner tonight. My buddy gave me the button, and I am giving the big doe to my brother-in-law.         

Edited by wolc123
typo
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time to start scooping up all those antlers I couldn't get my hands on during hunting season!

This one still had some flesh on the skull, but looked like he'd been there a while. I didn't look for the rest of the skeleton with all the snow in the goldenrod, but I'm sure it'll turn up. If I had to guess, I'd say this skull was from back in archery season just judging by the critter wear and condition.

Anyhow, it was nice to see some bone sticking out of the snow once again. Hopefully this year will be ALOT beter than last!

original.jpg

original.jpg
  • Like 7