archery lessons and practice suggestions

jasons75

So I am just getting into hunting. I would prefer to bow hunt over gun hunt (and not just because my wife has an issue with guns  :D )... I like challenges.

I have a slight problem, I got a chance to do a little shooting last weekend. The few shots I took were dismal at best! I was wondering if someone here can point me to where I could get lessons in or around the Rochester/Greece area. if you can give me a general idea of costs as well that would be great!

I've also been looking into where I can go to practice that is relatively close to Greece. I would prefer to practice in the back yard but apparently i cannot.

I'm less than month away from my move to the NY and want to get started soon after I get there. 

I am sure in your area thee has to be some bow archery pro shop that have indoor range and also some local archery club. Try to find one and ask them for there recommendations. I have been shooting for over 50 years now and enjoy it just as I did as a kid. We all have to learn how to handle the bow, the more you shoot the better you will become. But it sure does help if you have someone that can be your mentor.

I didn't have any archery mentors either when I started about 5 years ago.  The best thing I ever did was join a winter league.  It made me shoot more, it gave me an opportunity talk with other archers, it gave me to see other bows and equipment, and most of all it gave me a chance to work on and develop my form which is sooooo important.

There is a place on Norton Street ---JayVee fish and tackle. they have an indoor range and also run shooting leagues throught the winter. I believe Gander Mountain in Henrietta also has an indoor range but I don't know anything about it.

the above comment on gettign the bow fitted to you is CRITICAL. you will never get shootign where you feel comfortable if the bow is not fitted and tuned. you can be doing everything right  and have all the skill in the world, but that Prius isn't going to win the Daytona 500.

and the best advice I can give is don't get hung up on being able to take long shots. don't move back 1 foot past 10 yards until every shot is inside a tennis ball sized target.

Are you shooting fingers or a release?

Thanks for the tips all! 

Culvercreek, I've only ever shot using my fingers. I think I want to try a release though.

Release is the way to go, I have been bowhunting for about 15 years now and a few years ago I went from fingers to release and you wouldn't believe how much tighter my groups are now.

I shot about 10 yds. in my basement last year when I couldn't shoot in the backyard, it was great practice for form, hand - eye and muscle development.Finding a range is a great idea and there are 3d shoots around Rochester as well.Some gun clubs have archery ranges too.When I switched to a release and carbon arrows years ago,I couldn't use the target I had been using because the arrows went through it.

Yes if killing anything that makes it  into my house is poaching..my bad..ill pay the fine opposed to my house burnin down..and i think red squirrell is open all yr.*deleted*.and suggesting feeders is poaching?

Yes, red squirrel is open all year but you werent being specific. Buy a live trap or two for the greys and take them for rides a few miles away rather than break the law.

BTW, I had to edit your language  :)

Yes if killing anything that makes it  into my house is poaching..my bad..ill pay the fine opposed to my house burnin down..and i think red squirrell is open all yr.*deleted*.and suggesting feeders is poaching?

Yes, red squirrel is open all year but you werent being specific. Buy a live trap or two for the greys and take them for rides a few miles away rather than break the law.

I don't need any of those arson prone squirrels in my heighborhood---keep them by you!! ;)  Isn't transport of live wild game illegal too? ;)

I don't need any of those arson prone squirrels in my heighborhood---keep them by you!! ;)  Isn't transport of live wild game illegal too? ;)

Not sure on that one, should probably call encon and see what they say. Either that or put a squirrel proof grate on your chimney and not worry about them or santa clause getting stuck in there any more.  ;D

I also live in Rochester but travel to Heritage Sports to work with Mike Price when it comes to learning the proper technique to shoot.  Mike is an awesome guy with tons of knowledge on the sport of bowhunting.  He has a great shop and takes great care of his clients. 

http://www.heritageoutdoorsports.net/home.html

http://www.jpsarchery.com/

Jim's is another place on the way towards Heritage never been but I know my buddies have shot at this facility during the winter season.

Might be too far for your liking but I highly recommend Mike Price as someone to speak to especially being a new bow shooter.  Maybe you can take your wife drop her off at the outlet mall and go see Mike while the Mrs. does some shopping.

Might be too far for your liking but I highly recommend Mike Price as someone to speak to especially being a new bow shooter.  Maybe you can take your wife drop her off at the outlet mall and go see Mike while the Mrs. does some shopping.

If I do that... then I won't have the cash to buy a bow or lessons!    ??? ;)

Thanks for the tips guys... looks like im gonna have a busy first few weekends checking some of these places out! I had my eye on a martin package on huntersfriend.com  the site has given me alot of info to start with.