Bone Yard and Gut Pile Thread 2016

Curmudgeon

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

WHO ?
02090146.JPG

Awesome shot!

Do you think he was there to chew on the deer ribs, or just to scoop up a few mice that were snacking on them?

Mouse activity around my carcasses has been crazy as soon as the sun goes down especially in my swamp set ups. I've been hoping that would be a big draw to lure one of those guys in some night.

I've been quite frustrated because my research site hasn't photographed any golden eagles this season. I still have 2 weeks to go. If I don't get one on camera, it will be the first year since 2010. Anyway, there are golden eagles here. I was going through video and found this one harassing a bald eagle. I don't know how to get a still out of a video so I took screen shots. The bugger was here but didn't feed. Another showed up Saturday, this time an adult, when a photographer was in the blind. He said it landed 50 feet from the bait behind some brush then flew off while being bombed by ravens. Ravens behave very differently towards the 2 species of eagle. They are very afraid of goldens, and hardly concerned about balds. I can't see the site from the house but ravens erupt regularly in large numbers, suggesting something dangerous - like a golden eagle is around. The goldens may just be hunting ravens. We've had them eaten before.

Golden-Bald 2-3-17 (3).JPG

Golden-Bald 2-3-17 (1).JPG

Edited by Curmudgeon
typo
  • Like 2

He'd be better off freezing, it's quicker than the starvation. I have put down a few starving fox with mange over the years...It's a horrible sight. they are so distracted by the constant itching that they can't stay still enough to hunt. it takes a long time to slowly starve. They leave the mange mite in their dens and it can survive in said dens 3 weeks  or so.

http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/how_mange_a_terminal_disease_afflicts_red_fox/

There are varying degrees of alopecia in the na
ï
ve or
immunologically compromised host. The skin lesions are those
of an encrusting dermatitis without pruritis. The dermatitis
becomes extensive, often covering most of the body. The
thickened dry crusts on the skin surface fissure and
haemorrhage or are pyodermic. Mites are present in large
numbers. The debilitated host becomes emaciated and often
succumbs to the infection.
Three classes of progression of lesions of sarcoptic mange are
described in coyotes in Texas (Fig. 12) (45). This seems to be
the pattern of progression of the disease in wild canids
elsewhere, including other species such as red foxes, red
wolves (
Canis rufus
), grey wolves and probably jackals (
Canis
aureus
) (see Fig. 5.5 in 10) (9, 36, 37, 44, 58, 59). Animals with
class I infections had initial lesions of small dry scabby
encrustations with or without alopecia and without
suppuration or thickening of the skin. Lesions were always
found on the lower fore and hind limbs and a small spot on the
ischium (Fig. 12) These are often most pronounced on the
elbows, hocks and at the base of the tail (35). Rarely, small
lesions appear on the ears. Class II mange was described as an
active progressive infection with larger lesions on the elbows,
hocks and knees, and ischial region (Fig. 12). There was
usually alopecia, some suppurative encrustations, and greatly
hyperkeratotic darkly pigmented and wrinkled skin. In these
animals there were also class I lesions over much of the fore
and hind limbs and ischial region becoming confluent on the
ventral surface, flanks and shoulders. The back of the head,
ears and muzzle were usually affected. However, less than a
half of the body was involved. Coyotes with advanced cases of
active mange were considered as class III if more than a half of
the body was covered (Fig. 12). Frequently, in coyotes and
Fig. 12
Classes of mange in coyotes
Class I
(top) is the initial invection with lesions on the fore and hind
limbs, ischium and base of the ears
Class II
(middle) has more advanced lesions covering up to a half of
the body surface
Class III
(bottom) involves greater than a half of the total body surface
and may leave the animal essentially hairless except for the back
Photo: courtesy of D.B. Pence (redrawn from Pence
et al
. [45])

Edited by growalot

Read that first link I posted Doc...fatal...each species has a mite specific problem so if your dog or pigs,livestock get it they can be treated...I had a neighbor with a hound that had it not once but 2x's and it was a long expensive fix...the dog looked terrible, even though it had a funnel around it's neck to keep the constant urge to gnaw it's self at bay. In the wild there are no vet treatments. Mange in humans is scabies...

I finally managed to get this video uploaded to youtube. It shows a first winter golden eagle coming aggressively into my research site. It harasses the bald eagle on the bait while ignoring the 2 perched on the right. Notice how freaked out the ravens are after the golden eagle goes out of sight. That is pretty normal in these situations.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I finally managed to get this video uploaded to youtube. It shows a first winter golden eagle coming aggressively into my research site. It harasses the bald eagle on the bait while ignoring the 2 perched on the right. Notice how freaked out the ravens are after the golden eagle goes out of sight. That is pretty normal in these situations.

Nice- the video tells so much more about what's going on over the pics alone.

I just took the youtube plunge myself looking to run a little more video soon and have a place to keep my trail cam footage organized.

I have the Browning set up in this location now and need to flip it over from pics to vids today.

I have another clip that revealed there is a pair of redtails hitting this carcass here and not just one as I suspected. Hopefully I'll have some better clips from the better cam soon.