fav cover scent

eagle rider

The only 1 that I have 100% confidence in is cow manure. If I'm hunting a pasture or near a pasture I try to cover my boots in it.

Back when I was milking cows I would wear my hunting clothes for morning milking then run to the woods and I never once was winded by a deer that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use no cover scent. Strictly use favorable wind direction in my stands. Have even gotten down n left if the wind switched bad. The cow manure thing in a pasture might actually work since its naturally overpowering but nothing else is that strong naturally. Deers sense of smell is much stronger than ours. We can smell through "masking" scents w weak olfactory capabilities. Go to the bathroom n spray some pine junk. The bathroom doesn't smell like pine. Smells like you took a dump in a pine forest. Imo most cover scents would be like that. 

• Like 3

I recently tried the Ever Calm, and so far, it seems to work pretty good! And I have not used scents in years! Watched deer walk right over where I came in and they showed no sign of alarm whatsoever. If I see any adverse reactions, I will post that as well.

• Like 2

Based on comments on another thread, I bought a stick of Ever Calm on Tuesday.  On Wednesday morning, I rubbed some on my boots and on the base of some trees around my stand.  I was hoping to lay down a doe that had been sneaking by.

Just after legal light something was snapping twigs along my walk-in trail.  I think I spooked whatever it was with movement as I tried to get an eye on it from my stand, and through a hemlock.

An hour later, that doe I was looking for came in cautious, but not on high alert like she had been on prior days.  I laid her down from 15 yards downwind from me.

I don't know if the scent stick truly worked (I had also moved my stand to a better location), but I do think it made that doe calm enough to stop long enough for me to put an arrow through her.

Like Grampy, I'll update on additional experiences.

• Like 4

Based on comments on another thread, I bought a stick of Ever Calm on Tuesday.  On Wednesday morning, I rubbed some on my boots and on the base of some trees around my stand.  I was hoping to lay down a doe that had been sneaking by.
Just after legal light something was snapping twigs along my walk-in trail.  I think I spooked whatever it was with movement as I tried to get an eye on it from my stand, and through a hemlock.
An hour later, that doe I was looking for came in cautious, but not on high alert like she had been on prior days.  I laid her down from 15 yards downwind from me.
I don't know if the scent stick truly worked (I had also moved my stand to a better location), but I do think it made that doe calm enough to stop long enough for me to put an arrow through her.
Like Grampy, I'll update on additional experiences.

I see Evercalm is making a liquid that you can use on wicks. It looks good but I'm always weary of anything that is bottled in plastic. Then again I swear by Bob Krischners Silverback and that's in plastic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk