1st rifle

Red

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

And again. One sided opinion. Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 on ML for years and love it, Bushnell binocs ( 2 pairs ) and love them , Bushnell scope on my 870 , Bushnell Banner POS on Ruger 10-.22 for 30+ years , Bushnell T Circle optics on daughters 870, Bushnell night vision monocular. See my pattern. I'm not made of money so have routinely bought what I've been happy with and what has worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyfeathers I understand the money issues. I respect that n you. That being said I've had more bushnells just fall apart than every other optic of any sort combined. So that being said it's cheaper n more financially sound to buy better items. You can use whatever you like though. 

I will say savage isn't my cup of tea they have a huge following and no where near the quality of a Tikka or similar gun. The only "cheap" "ready to shoot" rifle I would buy would be the remington 783 or the Ruger American. I have the older brother remington 770 for my wife in .243 and it shoots sub-moa with the bushnell sportsman it came with. I can not stand savage and the accu junk trigger they are literally opposite of what a trigger is supposed to be (zero creep and break like glass). Also I'm not sure if you guys knew it or not but the way they do their head space is horrible (hence the "innovative barrel nut"). They either do not have the means to properly headspace a rifle or just make one barrel to fit several different actions instead of making the action fit the barrel correctly. Ask any gunsmith the barrel nut is a crap way for fitting a barrel. 

Edited by chas0218

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

I really don't think the buck that dropped in his tracks from my Axis last season, knew what brand of rifle killed him. And I'm certain he never knew how much the rifle that killed him cost. Not sure why you would openly bash what another hunter uses, because it doesn't meet YOUR standards. Just sayin........jeez.

Grampy I wasn't bsshing you or anyone in particular. Just don't like guns not made well, or ones w inherent probs or sub standard manufacturing. No the deer doesn't know but buying things twice because the first one broke will let your bank know. We don't need frills or expensive guns just quality ones. Use whatever you like. Don't be offended if I'm not using them or have an opinion about how bad they are. I'm not downing anyone, I'm downing guns made like crap

You don't need to spend $1000 to get a decent quality rifle, if you don't care about looks or puffing your chest at the range then there are quite a few $300-500 rifles that will do the trick. As mentioned before, if you like the features, weight, feel of the rifle then do some reviews and see what people have liked/disliked. The Americans, Axis, T/C's, are all decent guns. They will shoot under 2MOA in most instances which is suitable for NY whitetail hunting. The only one I would dare say do not buy is the cheapo Remington line. I worked as a firearms supervisor for several years and A LOT of the 783, 710, 770 came back for repairs. You'll quickly learn some people will only say what they have is the best and everything else sucks... Do a little research, buy what you can afford and upgrade down the road if you need or want to... I've owned around 40 rifles and have only ever "hated" a few and that was only because they would shoot pattern's not groups. Deer are not hard to kill, you don't need to shoot sub moa, you don't need a $1300 rifle with a fluted barrel and Jewel trigger.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

God guys, Savage? Ruger? Ugh I just puked. Freakin garbage. Look at em. Savage are rust buckets n Ruger is cast parts , bad triggers on lots of guns. Man I gotta blunderbuss the op could borrow. Shoots rocks but it's about like a ruger accuracy wise. Op do yourself a favor n get a decent piece. Cheaper in the long run

We can't all be professionals like you sir.. sorry.... As I mentioned before .. out of my nearly 3 dozen guns, being savages, my rugers, my mossbergs, my t/c's, my remingtons, marlins... they all seem to kill deer just fine and have yet to fail me.. oh and they still shine as you say they dont. I'll take the few hundred dollars I save and spend them on my wife and kids.
Don't know why you have to bash everyone's decisions..

oh and I shoot mathews.. I hear you don't like them either..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You don't need to spend $1000 to get a decent quality rifle, if you don't care about looks or puffing your chest at the range then there are quite a few $300-500 rifles that will do the trick. As mentioned before, if you like the features, weight, feel of the rifle then do some reviews and see what people have liked/disliked. The Americans, Axis, T/C's, are all decent guns. They will shoot under 2MOA in most instances which is suitable for NY whitetail hunting. The only one I would dare say do not buy is the cheapo Remington line. I worked as a firearms supervisor for several years and A LOT of the 783, 710, 770 came back for repairs. You'll quickly learn some people will only say what they have is the best and everything else sucks... Do a little research, buy what you can afford and upgrade down the road if you need or want to... I've owned around 40 rifles and have only ever "hated" a few and that was only because they would shoot pattern's not groups. Deer are not hard to kill, you don't need to shoot sub moa, you don't need a $1300 rifle with a fluted barrel and Jewel trigger.

If you'd keep a gun that shoots 2" groups we have nothing to talk about. Omg. That's bad. If you've owned 40 guns you must be a gun nut. Don't you care bout accuracy? Yes 2" will kill a deer but not in my hands. Maybe I just expect a gun to shoot

6 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Grampy I wasn't bsshing you or anyone in particular. Just don't like guns not made well, or ones w inherent probs or sub standard manufacturing. No the deer doesn't know but buying things twice because the first one broke will let your bank know. We don't need frills or expensive guns just quality ones. Use whatever you like. Don't be offended if I'm not using them or have an opinion about how bad they are. I'm not downing anyone, I'm downing guns made like crap

Our opinions are of equal value. Even when they differ.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

You can if you shoot 10-12 rounds a year through em but watch the rust n don't drop em. Cast things break. You guys hunt whatever you want but I'm not touching them n would never recommend them. What would you consider a decent scope? A Leupold will be worth more than the gun, a Bushnell or Simmons is worth next to nothing. Nikon is decent but terrible customer service. Thankfully seldom needed. Burris is the brand imo. 

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, I think I paid $250. Would I love to have a top of the line scope, sure, and I do see the value in quality optics. But this will do the job

If you'd keep a gun that shoots 2" groups we have nothing to talk about. Omg. That's bad. If you've owned 40 guns you must be a gun nut. Don't you care bout accuracy? Yes 2" will kill a deer but not in my hands. Maybe I just expect a gun to shoot

First off, I think you need to get off of your pedestal. Secondly, yes I used to very much into rifles. I still currently own a lot of rifles and I do not own a rifle that won't shoot close to an inch or better, I never said 2" is a great group, I said any rifle that will shoot 2" or better will be suitable for our typical shots here in NY which probably are less than 75 yds in most cases. You're confusing bench rest accuracy with hunting accuracy. You bow hunt don't you? So is it safe to assume you only shoot 2" or less groups with your bow? No, you don't. You ARE the guy that talks down to everyone that doesn't agree with your skewed mindset. You are a fanboy. Everything you don't own sucks. Period.

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

We can't all be professionals like you sir.. sorry.... As I mentioned before .. out of my nearly 3 dozen guns, being savages, my rugers, my mossbergs, my t/c's, my remingtons, marlins... they all seem to kill deer just fine and have yet to fail me.. oh and they still shine as you say they dont. I'll take the few hundred dollars I save and spend them on my wife and kids.
Don't know why you have to bash everyone's decisions..

oh and I shoot mathews.. I hear you don't like them either..

Mathews actually isn't really all that bad. But they aren't better than many other companies. Reason I don't like em is cause of all the over marketing. They're kinda force feeding you n brain washing you into thinking they're the best. The no cam I shot n liked it. Z7, I liked too but not better than others. People are so easily swayed, if you shot a bunch of bows n came as Mathews as the best God bless you. If you went in really wanting a Mathews just because, you're a sheeple. Hey n I'm not a professional. I've been at it a long time n its all I do. I only form opinions after lots of exposure. Many years in fact. That being said, sometimes things change. The cheap guns havent. In fact even good guns have gotten worse. You sound young n if you are one day if you get a chance shoot a great gun, with a great trigger that shoots great groups. You won't need it but Id bet you buy one 

8 minutes ago, chrisw said:

First off, I think you need to get off of your pedestal. Secondly, yes I used to very much into rifles. I still currently own a lot of rifles and I do not own a rifle that won't shoot close to an inch or better, I never said 2" is a great group, I said any rifle that will shoot 2" or better will be suitable for our typical shots here in NY which probably are less than 75 yds in most cases. You're confusing bench rest accuracy with hunting accuracy. You bow hunt don't you? So is it safe to assume you only shoot 2" or less groups with your bow? No, you don't. You ARE the guy that talks down to everyone that doesn't agree with your skewed mindset. You are a fanboy. Everything you don't own sucks. Period.

There's no confusing any accuracy. You can't talk bows w guns. Recurve accuracy n effective range is dif than compound or crossbow.  A rifle is an instrument designed to shoot very accurately. Some companies only design to get your money. You're right about something if it sucks I dont own it. 

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It sits atop a Browning A Bolt, so all told for around $800 its a rifle that will shoot better than I can and hopefully kill deer long after im gone

I have never shot a browning but I have never heard anything bad about them. The nikon you mentioned earlier is nice glass for the price, I too bought one for around that price. You can find them for around $175 now. If you get a chance look into the refield scopes I bought one for my wife when I got her 1187 slug gun and it is a very nice scope for the money. I think it is actually a little more clear than my Nikon for around the same price maybe a little more.

@Bowguy1 I mentioned earlier why Savage are junk, if they don't understand why they can read my earlier post.

Edited by chas0218

I'm on the fence with this one. I can see where bowguy is coming from, until recently you couldn't pay me to look at one of those economy guns. And that's not thinking I'm above using them or anyone who does, I just can't justify throwing good money down on what I feel is a subpar product. Now some of them have gotten better as far as quality and they are certainly capable of any hunting situation I've ran into so if that's what someone can afford and they are happy with it then that's great and you won't hear me knocking anyone for that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Mathews actually isn't really all that bad. But they aren't better than many other companies. Reason I don't like em is cause of all the over marketing. They're kinda force feeding you n brain washing you into thinking they're the best. The no cam I shot n liked it. Z7, I liked too but not better than others. People are so easily swayed, if you shot a bunch of bows n came as Mathews as the best God bless you. If you went in really wanting a Mathews just because, you're a sheeple. Hey n I'm not a professional. I've been at it a long time n its all I do. I only form opinions after lots of exposure. Many years in fact. That being said, sometimes things change. The cheap guns havent. In fact even good guns have gotten worse. You sound young n if you are one day if you get a chance shoot a great gun, with a great trigger that shoots great groups. You won't need it but Id bet you buy one 

I am 30years young, and own several good guns, Browning, TC, Tikka, it means nothing to me, when it comes to NYS whitetail hunting. If I were to go out west or somewhere very cold where I need super reliable, then yes I would only bring the very best I could. But he is hunting in NYS, looking for a deer and bear gun. Every gun in my safe works and has worked flawlessly. He asked for 5-550$ price range. Any combo gun, I will always replace the scope with something better than what comes with, but nothing over the top. Unless it's on the browning or Tikka...

The main reason I shoot mathews, is the fact that a very good friend of mine deals them. And I get a deal like no one would believe on any mathews i want. Any new bow comes in, he calls me and wants me to shoot it and give my thoughts.. I bought the z7 brand new when it came out, has been an amazing bow and I have no interest in replacing it, very forgiving smooth and quiet, perfect for the whitetail woods. And I can get 300fps.. Pretty happy with that. No reason to change.. Plus I support him and his business, just as you would to your friends I would hope..

49 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I am 30years young, and own several good guns, Browning, TC, Tikka, it means nothing to me, when it comes to NYS whitetail hunting. If I were to go out west or somewhere very cold where I need super reliable, then yes I would only bring the very best I could. But he is hunting in NYS, looking for a deer and bear gun. Every gun in my safe works and has worked flawlessly. He asked for 5-550$ price range. Any combo gun, I will always replace the scope with something better than what comes with, but nothing over the top. Unless it's on the browning or Tikka...

The main reason I shoot mathews, is the fact that a very good friend of mine deals them. And I get a deal like no one would believe on any mathews i want. Any new bow comes in, he calls me and wants me to shoot it and give my thoughts.. I bought the z7 brand new when it came out, has been an amazing bow and I have no interest in replacing it, very forgiving smooth and quiet, perfect for the whitetail woods. And I can get 300fps.. Pretty happy with that. No reason to change.. Plus I support him and his business, just as you would to your friends I would hope..

I respect your answer. Bear in mind though replacing a scope cost at least a few hundred n adds price

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

God guys, Savage? Ruger? Ugh I just puked. Freakin garbage. Look at em. Savage are rust buckets n Ruger is cast parts , bad triggers on lots of guns. Man I gotta blunderbuss the op could borrow. Shoots rocks but it's about like a ruger accuracy wise. Op do yourself a favor n get a decent piece. Cheaper in the long run

I was once as closed minded as you. Then One day my brother brought home a Ruger box with an ugly black rifle in it and a leupold rifleman 2-7. Paid 529$ for the whole thing. I mounted the scope and bore sighted it. It was in 308 so I grabbed a few of my 308's as well. I had a blr a rem model 7 custom shop a 7600 and his American on the bench. Wanna guess what one shot the best group?

I own over 30 center fire rifles and 3 of them are Ruger Americans. I have a Ruger American American compact being made into a 358win right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Man this thread got sideways in a hurry....I don't think I have ever picked up a gun that wouldn't successfully kill a deer in NY. I'll also carry my 200$ mossy 500 over any other when dinner is on the line.

Good luck Red with first rifle can't wait to see some pics no matter how you go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4