One lung hit. Thoughts?

NonTypical

Over the years I've one lunged three deer. One lived and my buddy shot him the following year! The other two were recovered. Both of them within three hundred yards of the hit. And both were recovered after letting them go overnight .  From your pictures and description , I really think he's dead and you will find him tomorrow .  Best of luck to you.

• Like 2

Looks like lung and maybe liver since the blood is kind of dark. Should be a dead deer. Just take it easy and go slow. If you can get in contact with deer search then you'll be in good shape. I single lunged a deer one time when the deer jumped the string. He ran maybe 500-700 yards, but i ultimately found him dead. it was a rough track, but it ended well in the end. Best of luck!

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Like 1

Never personally had it happen, but have heard a lot of mixed results on this type of shot. Some live and some die 200 + yards away. Where are you located if you can't get a hold of deer search I have two friends with awesome tracking dogs. Both dogs have more than a few deer under there belt and Penny found my buddies deer 150 yards from impact with 3 drops of blood in less than 3 minutes no exaggeration. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bruno1 said:

Hey Matt I just found his number. He just recovered one of my buddies friends deer a few nights ago. His name is Sandy 917 939-5267. He's friends with my buddy Mike from Full Draw 

Thanks Steve. I'm going to head back out at first light and try to find some more sign. I have a good idea on where he was headed. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll give Sandy a call this morning for some help. 

I shot a big buck this year at 30 yards and had 8in of penetration before the buck lunged and snapped my arrow. He walked about 40 yards and bedded down so I backed out until the morning. The next morning he was still in his first bed alive and ran another 200 yards before bedding again. He was still bleeding and there were bubbles in it so I decided to try and bleed the bastard out since he still had my broadhead in him. I pushed him until he went into some thick cover and i backed out. Waited two days and went back and to my surprise he was still alive and in the same thick cover he was two days before and he got up and crossed a street never to be seen again. I know I got one lung and am flabbergasted as to how he survived but many people claim they do. Dont give up. Just wanted to share my story

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

So I searched for 4 hours. I couldn't find anymore blood. I then did a grid search thru the thickets on my hands and knees with no luck. However I did just numerous deer, but not until I was within 10 feet of them. It is very possible that I may have missed him because it is so thick. Hopefully I can get someone with a dog later today to continue looking. If not, I'll go back this week and try to smell him. However, something tells me that he is still alive. I'm not giving up yet though. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

How soon after the shot did you get down to start looking?

Very good possibility that it was a non lethal hit and he will survive.

My buddy had a similar scenario.Two weeks later we had pics of the same deer on one of the cameras-trailing a doe.Try with a dog and then try letting the area settle down for a bit.Chances are if not dead he will be back if he's not pressured.They are extremely tough animals and can take quite a bit of abuse before laying down to die.

15 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Call deer search. We should make it a sticky on all hunting threads so people have the number to call. I know i have their number saved on my phone just in case. Good luck though! I'm sure hes down somewhere. 

I have called 6 people from deer search. 2 were out of town. Left messages with 2 others. One # was out of service and 1 guy from westchester said he was upstate and would get back to me later. Hopefully someone comes thru. 

• Like 1