How much land do you think you need to hunt .

10point

Depends on a lot of different things like, who the neighbors are, what the terrain is like, what the general deer population is for the area, food sources-do you have to create your own or not, what your goals and desires are. 

I hunt 5 acres and sometimes it's annoying to have your neighbor start mowing the lawn or having dogs bark but it's a great spot for deer. I also hunt 40 acres and have never seen a deer from the stand there but I like being in the middle of 40 acre woods. 

I wish I could have 200-400 acres but can't. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Depends on a lot of different things like, who the neighbors are, what the terrain is like, what the general deer population is for the area, food sources-do you have to create your own or not, what your goals and desires are. 

I hunt 5 acres and sometimes it's annoying to have your neighbor start mowing the lawn or having dogs bark but it's a great spot for deer. I also hunt 40 acres and have never seen a deer from the stand there but I like being in the middle of 40 acre woods. 

I wish I could have 200-400 acres but 

21 minutes ago, 10point said:

Was thinking  maybe of getting something that bordors public land but dont know if that is such a good idea may have to many trespassers  / hunters crossing over to hunt on my side .

Bordering public no hunting lands is great.  Not sure I would want public hunting next door.  Many here know that scenario better than I. 

Like stated above you could have a very small piece of property 5 acers or less and have great hunting grounds, or you could have hundreds of acers and deal with trespassers, poachers etc. 

Buying next to state land can be hard if to many guys put presser on the area.  Good news is if you have it posted good and they stay off your land they can push deer onto your safe heaven . 

Personally I like to have about 100 acers to myself when I hunt.  If you have more than just yourself hunting anything over 40 acers is decent to set up a few stands, blinds and a safe spot for the deer you do not go into.   (This is usually a bedding area)  Marsh, swamp, tall grass. ) 

If you have good neighbors or bad this can make a big difference to.  Many factors.

Gun hunting vs bow, is this land just for you, if so than you do not need much land if its in a good area.  

Good area with high population I would say 20 plus acers is good enough for one person.  If more than one person add at least 20 acers per person.

Otherwise I have hunted 4 guys less than 300 yards from each other in high population area and we could have all taken deer.  This was about a 5 acer plot.

Good luck, any land is good land!  If you are going mainly for deer, do some research before you buy.

I wouldn't buy recreational property that's wasn't large enough for me to have several options hunting on any given day. If the property is just being bought for hunting i would probably be looking at a minimum of 50 in most parts of NY.
If I was buying in another state it would most likely be much larger.

i happen to have some good advice,  buy the 5 acres that borders the 100 acre sanctuary.. dont be the stupid- idiot -moron that buys the sanctuary pays 9k a year in property taxes , plant food plots , work year round to make it a habitat paradise, chase trespassers around, losses sleep all season, gets bitter when the guy next door puts in 0 effort pays 1k a year in taxes and shoots the buck that walked out of the bedding area you made in july when it was 90F..   just trust me..  look for a county/state  park that has hunting safty zones and buy a small  chunk next to that .. i know a guy that owns 3 acres that borders village property. he shoots deer that make you think he was hunting on a 500 acre ranch in iowa ... location location location!!!   

I agree with about all that has been said . Keep in mind though , what's around the land now can change tomorrow . That farm can become houses , the guy next door that doesn't hunt sells to a large hunting family , the town opens up a public bow hunt on their land , and on and on.

My town did that and my buddy that had great hunting on his few acres sorounded by woods and fields ? The town bought the land and on came the hikers and dog walkers and a few years later due to all the deer/car accidents opened it all up to bow hunting , and he had guys everywhere , most giving no thought to,wind or property boundaries .

try to buy enough so if things change on the neighboring land you don't own but count on, you still have good hunting .

Each year one of the  neighbors of our 120 acres of farm land will say to me they'er concerned about the land turning into houses . They should be I'm trying to,get my wife to sell.....

The can have right of first refusal .

Edited by Larry302