Range finders

Al Bundy

I bought a Halo with angle compensation at Bass Pro last year.   It works very good and I think was less than $200.  When I am in any of my stands, as soon as it gets light enough I range various features all around.  My crossbow has 3 dots which are for 20, 40, and 60 yards (I don't shoot past 50 anymore, due to poor penetration beyond that with my 300 fps entry-level setup).  It is real nice to know exactly where your bolt will strike and the rangefinder makes that easy.   

Yesterday morning I unloaded my crossbow when I came up for lunch into a target bag at 20 yards using my 20 yard dot.  The bolt stuck center on the bull.   That afternoon a buck walked out of a corn plot and stood at a spot I had previously ranged at 20 yards.  I was able to pick out a hair I wanted to hit and that is where the bolt struck.  It was not a real easy "quartering to" angle, but thanks to that rangefinder, and the unloading shot I had taken a few hours prior, I was about 99 % certain on making the shot.  The buck dropped dead within sight. 

Whenever I see a deer during a hunt, I note landmarks nearby and range them after the deer go away.  Even though most have been well out of my crossbow range, I will know where to aim later if one shows up in the same spot during gun season.  

Besides hunting, the rangefinder is very handy on the target range.  I used to measure distance from my rifle bench to the backstop with a tape measure and place wooden stakes at various ranges, out to 350 yards.  The stakes were always a pain to mow around, and the tape measure was a pain to use alone.   Now I just use the rangefinder to verify my distance and it is very repeatable and matches the tape measure.   With the crossbow, I just move my target bag to various ranges behind my deck and verify the range with the rangefinder.

• Like 2

Thanks all who replied. I ended up looking hard at this and due to a number of details such as price, immediate availability, and good reviews I ended up with a Leopold 650. I used it a number of times last weekend and it was great. Under 200.00. So far seems great. It has a clip on the case that I clip to my belt loop. I picked it up 2 blocks from where I work. Online order. I walked in the door, went to the web order line, 2 mins later was out the door. Great reviews. I am hopeful. Wife likes it quite well. That is most important.  Good shooting everyone!!

Edit: Here is the link for it, though I did not buy it here:

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-120464-RX-650-Micro-Rangefinder/dp/B00SBXBMZA

Edited by Dan.NY
add link