Southern opener, just wanted to say good bye

hoythunter

21 hours ago, wolc123 said:

He has even let be be in the right place at the right time with my pocketknife to take care of some tasty road "carnage" a few times.       

Really? Seriously?

I tried to agree with a few points you made, but, the above excerpt from your post made be take a few steps back.

So God has put you in right place of someone else hitting a deer and wrecking their vehicle, possibly having serious injury to driver and passengers ( possibly even killing them ), just so you could kill a deer with "pocketknife"? Perhaps you should rethink this part of your post. You come off as more concerned and "dispatching a deer" ( and putting a feather in your hat ) then being worried about the well fare of the people who hit the deer. Seems a little self righteous in my opinion. Are there many people killed hitting a white tail, nope. But, there sure are a lot who have totaled their vehicle hitting one. Some people have very high deductibles and premiums! So that deer you "dispatched" and got to put in your freezer was only free to you! It may have cost the driver hundreds or even thousands. Did you get the name and numbers of these people who hit the deer to ask if they wanted some of the meat? I doubt it. Jesus would have done that! Jesus would have offered to process the meat for them and give it to them. ALL OF IT IF THEY WANTED IT! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ....rob said:

Really? Seriously?

I tried to agree with a few points you made, but, the above excerpt from your post made be take a few steps back.

So God has put you in right place of someone else hitting a deer and wrecking their vehicle, possibly having serious injury to driver and passengers ( possibly even killing them ), just so you could kill a deer with "pocketknife"? Perhaps you should rethink this part of your post. You come off as more concerned and "dispatching a deer" ( and putting a feather in your hat ) then being worried about the well fare of the people who hit the deer. Seems a little self righteous in my opinion. Are there many people killed hitting a white tail, nope. But, there sure are a lot who have totaled their vehicle hitting one. Some people have very high deductibles and premiums! So that deer you "dispatched" and got to put in your freezer was only free to you! It may have cost the driver hundreds or even thousands. Did you get the name and numbers of these people who hit the deer to ask if they wanted some of the meat? I doubt it. Jesus would have done that! Jesus would have offered to process the meat for them and give it to them. ALL OF IT IF THEY WANTED IT! 

The deer I was referencing there was a bb that was hit at the end of our driveway, three years ago.   It was dark and I had just returned from a hunt at my folks place (last Saturday of ML season), about 20 miles away.  The phone was ringing as I walked in the door.  It was our neighbor who lives across the street.  She said she just heard brakes squeal and a "bang", a few minutes prior.  The car had left and she saw a deer lying on the shoulder.   

I found the deer lying down, eyes shut. It kicked quite a bit, as I slit its throat.  I gutted it, hung it up in the garage, and called the state police for a tag.  They dropped it off the following morning.   I doubt the vehicle was "wrecked", since it was able to drive off.   The deer only weighted about 60 pounds, field-dressed. The meat damage consisted of some minor bruising on the shoulders of the impact side.  There were no broken bones.  It looked like it just had the wind knocked out of it by the crash.     

That year, the first deer that made it into our freezer was a 2-1/2 year old buck that a friend killed early in archery season.  Later, I added a 1-1/2 year old buck that I killed with my crossbow, and an older one that I killed with my rifle.  Those three were good, all tasting similar.  That bb was in a class by itself however, far more tender than those older deer.  

Would you have done anything different in that situation?   Was I wrong to thank God for the gift of that "fatted calf"?   The only time He blessed me more than He did that season was last year, when He provided me with another "gift" bb (slightly larger with less damaged meat), two mature does,  and a 2-1/2 year old buck with my crossbow.  Best of all, he allowed me to make a "perfect" shot on my last buck with my rifle.  The Chef himself convinced me to get the tool that helped verify the perfection of that shot. 

Edited by wolc123

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I found the deer lying down, eyes shut. It kicked quite a bit, as I slit its throat.

You may want to watch what you post on an open forum. I've been told by law enforcement that's it's quite illegal to "finish off" an injured deer.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't feel compelled to end its misery.

Don't shoot the messenger! 

8 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

You may want to watch what you post on an open forum. I've been told by law enforcement that's it's quite illegal to "finish off" an injured deer.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't feel compelled to end its misery.

Don't shoot the messenger! 

Thanks Jerry.  Law enforcement response times, on Saturday evenings for "injured deer" are probably not that good.  It would have been tough for me to watch the deer suffer, while waiting for them to show up.   Not only would I have felt sorry for the suffering animal but the meat that it yields looses quality in proportion to the time it suffers.    Maybe the deer was already dead, and it was just "nerves" that made the legs kick.    If and when it happens again, I will call the police first and ask them what I should do.               

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Or why not just stand back and ask for a lightning bolt from the heavens?

IF thats the case I would just ask for TC to come from heavens with a double lung shank , come on grampy no one wants their backstraps well done.

• Like 1