What will this buck score

nodeerhere

I was going to guess 123 after deductions then saw it was 126 and change. Pretty close. Nice buck and just an fyi I think the scoring system is pretty silly losing points for more antler lol.

Edited by Fletch

Regardless of what the final score is, that is by all definition a trophy buck!  Is there not a scoring system, that credits all of the antler, a buck grows? Like Fletch said, shouldn't the buck be scored for "everything" he grew? In my opinion, every bucks rack is "perfect"! Why should inches be deducted for antler growth and inches added for thin air, spread?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, grampy said:

Regardless of what the final score is, that is by all definition a trophy buck!  Is there not a scoring system, that credits all of the antler, a buck grows? Like Fletch said, shouldn't the buck be scored for "everything" he grew? In my opinion, every bucks rack is "perfect"! Why should inches be deducted for antler growth and inches added for thin air, spread?

There is something to be said for symmetry. Both sides the same, balanced. Sure it is arbitrary, but the deductions reinforce that standard. Like judging bird dogs. I like a 12'oclock tail when the dog is on point. Some say, "What does it matter?...as long as the freaking dog points!" It's just a matter of style and how we judge things in our sports.:rolleyes:

That's why most people go SCI instead of BC!  The deer grew the bone and should be scored as such.                                              Strange to hear some say this is a strange kill for a Ny buck?  Very nice yes for sure but there are many a buck this size and bigger killed in this state each year. A little tweak here and there and there would be many more!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

That's why most people go SCI instead of BC!  The deer grew the bone and should be scored as such.                                              Strange to hear some say this is a strange kill for a Ny buck?  Very nice yes for sure but there are many a buck this size and bigger killed in this state each year. A little tweak here and there and there would be many more!

I think a typical with an extra point/tine does not include the measurement of the extra point for SCI scoring.  So, its not a deduction like PY and BC, but doesn't include all of the bone.  At least, that's how I read the scoring sheet.

28 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I think a typical with an extra point/tine does not include the measurement of the extra point for SCI scoring.  So, its not a deduction like PY and BC, but doesn't include all of the bone.  At least, that's how I read the scoring sheet.

SCI gives credit for all bone grown regardless of location on rack. No deducts for xtras?

There are bigger bucks in ny. And I agree a few tweeks and there could be many more. I have seen many bigger. Just never close enough for a bow shot! That's what makes this one special to me!!! I shot a much bigger one bout 5 yrs ago with gun that I never got to lay my hands on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

SCI gives credit for all bone grown regardless of location on rack. No deducts for xtras?

Not sure FSI but the scoring sheet says that for typical an extra point can be measured but is not included for score.  Agreed that there are no deducts but it appears extra points don't get included.  Check it out.  Maybe I am misunderstanding what that means. 

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Yeah, the big difference between B&C scoring and SCI is in caribou scoring, I'm no expert, but it is something about all the points (I have never gotten into caribou hunting,)...but mainly and in that SCI allows for high fence operations while B&C requires the animal to be wild.

Yeah, the big difference between B&C scoring and SCI is in caribou scoring, I'm no expert, but it is something about all the points (I have never gotten into caribou hunting,)...but mainly and in that SCI allows for high fence operations while B&C requires the animal to be wild.

Many species have 2 categories (free range and estate-which is high fence). I have 4 entries in SCI record books, all free range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I more surprised that there are several folks on here that know what SCI is, let alone their scoring system.

Anyone see that stupid bird slam they are doing now to get more 2nd Pinnacle of the Diamond Gold fat old white guys, award money?

Haven't seen it, but I do get those invoices for hundreds of dollars to have my name in the hard copy books. I'm fine with the online version. It's pretty cool when I'm bored to look up Outfitters or hunters and see what entries they have.

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Haven't seen it, but I do get those invoices for hundreds of dollars to have my name in the hard copy books. I'm fine with the online version. It's pretty cool when I'm bored to look up Outfitters or hunters and see what entries they have.

I just (yesterday) sent money in for two copies of the 18th Edition of the New York State Big Buck Clubs Record Book.  One copy for me and one for my buddy...........

I don't believe there's an online version for the NYSBBC.

http://www.nysbigbuckclub.com/support-files/2016-prebuy-postcard.pdf

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just been a SCI Member for some time (life member actually) and although I have no issue with entries and books and such; but contriving slams just to get the mine is bigger club to pony up some funds is not what I hoped where the organization was heading.

Prefer to see some actual advocacy and hard numbers of whats going where, and thats been lacking. IMO

• Like 1

Just been a SCI Member for some time (life member actually) and although I have no issue with entries and books and such; but contriving slams just to get the mine is bigger club to pony up some funds is not what I hoped where the organization was heading.

Prefer to see some actual advocacy and hard numbers of whats going where, and thats been lacking. IMO

Yea. I've only been a member for a few years. Think I'm on my 2nd 3-year term. Have you ever bid on the auction hunts? Always curious what they end up going for after I read through that big booklet

Also need to go to their Vegas show one of these years. Probably could get a good deal on a hunt cash deal I would think

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea. I've only been a member for a few years. Think I'm on my 2nd 3-year term. Have you ever bid on the auction hunts? Always curious what they end up going for after I read through that big booklet

Also need to go to their Vegas show one of these years. Probably could get a good deal on a hunt cash deal I would think

Most international auction hunts sell fairly reduced in price at auction 50% or less; I have bought several. However I usually add around them to give back a little something to the outfitter for the donation. Been treated very well for doing so. North American hunts sell closer to full value in general, US/Canada/Alaska is still closer and an easier sell. Have to research them as much as a typical booking for whats included etc.

The show is massive if you are looking to expand horizons both for firearms and hunts, and cash is king.^_^

9 hours ago, BigVal said:

Don't know much about score but awesome buck 

Pretty much sums up this thread for me......

:drinks:

• Like 2