Hunter Shoots Dogs

Rebel Darling

So the topic got extended beyond what it would have otherwise been. And a point was made that there are real reasons for those dogs not to have been allowed to become "free-range" pets. I will take responsibility for going off in that direction and pointing out indeed some of these incidents happen because too many pet owners refuse to accept the responsibility of pet ownership. And yes there are perfectly good reasons for proper stewardship of your animals. Not really trying to excuse this guy's actions, but merely pointing out that these dogs would likely still be alive if they had been properly controlled. And yes the discussion did move into why animals should be controlled....Which shouldn't bother anyone unless they are bothered by the responsibilities of animal ownership.

Yes, these topics do grow and evolve beyond the original post. That is completely natural, expected, and normal for forum topics. It is what allows a discussion to mature and be examined from more than one standpoint.

• Like 1

Nobody wants to kill anyone's pets. But there is a need for people to grow up and accept the fact that pet ownership does indeed come with some responsibilities. I really don't think that is a very difficult concept to understand ...... for most people.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2016 at 4:44 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Doewacker runs bird dogs. I believe his point was if someone is shooting at his dogs it could just as easily be shooting at him. i grew up running rabbits with some great hounds. We never went out during deer season and back then it didn't take much to be tagged out becasue tags were so few. I almost think I remember a regulation for the Northern zone where you couldn't run dogs afield during open regular season. but that was a lot of years ago and my memory isn't what it use to be. 

You are correct also outside of any season you can not run dogs for training purposes on any state property.

4 hours ago, chas0218 said:

You are correct also outside of any season you can not run dogs for training purposes on any state property.

Not true. 

Training season runs August through till April. 

Heres a cut it and paste from the DEC. 

Training - You may train dogs on raccoon, fox, coyote, and bobcat from July 1 through April 15. You may train dogs on other small game only from August 15 through April 15.

You may train dogs at any time on lands you own, lease, or have written permission to use, if you are not training on wildgame. You may only use blank ammunition when training dogs, except during an open season.

Control - Hunting dogs should remain under control of the hunter or trainer, especially on lands inhabited by deer. Do not shoot at dogs; report stray dogs to a local Environmental Conservation Officer or your local animal control officer.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

That it does. But in no why does irresponsibility ever justify shooting someone's pet, especially over a deer.  

By golly, perhaps for the very first time, we found something that we actually agree on.....lol.

• Like 1