Hunter Shoots Dogs

Rebel Darling

Just looked this up and there seems to be a distinction between cats and dog in regard to this (which surprised me).  It seems it is acceptable for a hunter to dispatch a cat killing birds, but it must be law enforcement when it comes to dogs and deer.  See law below.

New York Environmental Conservation Law § 11-0529

1. Any person over the age of twenty-one years possessing a hunting license may, and environmental conservation officers and peace officers, acting pursuant to their special duties, or police officers shall humanely destroy cats at large found hunting or killing any protected wild bird or with a dead bird of any protected species in its possession.

2. Every environmental conservation officer, forest ranger and member of the state police may kill any dog (a) pursuing or killing deer within the Adirondack or Catskill parks, at any time; (b) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned game farm or wildlife refuge; or (c) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned or leased wildlife management area, except a dog being legally used for hunting small game or for dog training.

3. Every park patrolman, park ranger and member of the state police, county police and town police may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer within any state park or state park reservation at any time.

4. At any time (a) any environmental conservation officer, dog warden, forest ranger or member of the state police, anywhere in the state, (b) any member of any town police within the limits of the town of which such member is an officer, (c) any member of the Westchester County Parkway police on any park, parkway or reservation owned or controlled by the county of Westchester or (d) any member of a police force or department of any county, city, town or village in which such member has jurisdiction and is regularly employed may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer and any coyote killing a domestic animal.

5. No action for damages shall lie against any authorized person for the killing of a cat, dog or coyote as provided in this section. - See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/environmental-conservation-law/env-sect-11-0529.html#sthash.svW2hcel.dpuf

I'm not condoning what the individual did, it just peaked my interest into the laws of our state.  The dogs should not have been harassing wildlife (if that part of the story was true) however the hunter should have handled it very differently.

Where I grew up, dogs found chasing deer could be put down.  If obviously with a collar and license, dog is caught, returned to owner and fined.  If found roaming at large again chasing deer - put down and owner charged.  Ferals just tended to disappear...

What about feral cats hunting rabbits?  I have seen that before while rabbit hunting several years ago.

Seeing non-hunting people with dogs off leash on public lands open to hunting during deer season is a pet peeve of mine. Almost every year at least one is a yellow lab.  I fear for the dog and hunter that mistakenly pulls the trigger.

My dog, not a hunting dog, actually looks like miniature deer if you bob her tail and she has her ears up (she normally has one flopped down until something sounds interesting and she sleeps with both up - figure that one out).  Ginger-tan  short coat, white chest and underside.  She wants to play with the does that come into the yard.  Squirrels and cats are entirely different story with her. 

• Like 1

I have seen many dogs while hunting, they usually have to come up to me and say hi.  To shoot one knowing it is a pet is just wrong, 2 years in jail should be mandatory!  I could understand getting upset but to kill the dog over this is simply wrong! 

He should loose his hunting rights for 10 years minimum!  Plus he should be in jail for 2 years for each dog making it a 4 year term!  Throw the book at this jerk!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Orange vest on her /him ? At least that would deter accidental shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have one but that is a very good idea. I think I will invest in one. But I do have an orange collar and a bell which will hopefully lead people to believe it's not a stray dog.

But I have heard of stories of people shooting dogs in the woods. Very troubling to say the least given the assumption that it's a domestic pet  

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I saw a gofundme for a golden retriever shot. $ needed to be raised for eye surgery. Most of the deer I've been seeing are in fact golden retriever sized but cmon people.
This guy however intentionally shot those 2. Man , he's getting hit hard too Moron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That dog is from Williamson, the week before in the same neighborhood another dog was shot and killed. 

My dogs wear bells on the collars

The other day while sitting in a ground blind, a dog came up to me and licked my hand. It made my day.  I suppose a dog running through my spot could ruin it, but it might also move deer around to me so in my mind, it's a wash.  I'd been out there for many hours by that point, saw nothing, was cold, so I enjoyed the company even if it was only for 10 seconds.  

Caveman, I couldn't agree more.  This reflects poorly on us as hunters.  This news source could have been a little more objective.  For example, it wasn't so long ago that the shooting of a dog pursuing deer was acceptable.  Maybe they could have mentioned that when they gave his age of 59 yrs.  The dog owner admitted that both his dogs bolted off into the woods and didn't respond to him when called.  Not saying the owner is irresponsible, but if my dog runs in the road chasing a squirrel and gets hit by a drunk driver, I'm blaming myself.  Yea, the drunk driver will be charged with a felony, but I bet the dog owner harbors tremendous guilt and accepts a lot of the responsibility...  The article also went out of it's way to make the dogs look like members of a family and friends to the community, which is tasteless.  Lastly, they could have interviewed a DEC officer or expert who could say something on behalf of the vast majority of hunters who generally have a deeper appreciation for wildlife, a stronger connection to nature and have contributed more money toward environmental conservation than the top ten environmental non-profits combined.  You know, shed light and educate.  Don't dumb it down and oversimplify...     

This helps explain why, while hunting on public land last week, I started hearing this awful loud racket.  It sounded like two people cheering for a football game.  I turned around and about 100 yards away I see two people in jogging attire making a commotion on a logging trail.  So I glass them with my binos and immediately realize they're smacking sticks together and kicking leaves up because they see the blaze orange wraps I use around my treestand.  Basically, they were trying to scare off Bambi because an evil monster was in the woods hell bent on killing...  I bet they couldn't identify three species of plant life in the forest.  This is why I don't tell anybody (but hunters) that I hunt.  

• Like 2

Well, of course no one wants to see these kinds of stories, and for the most part most dogs are harmless lovable creatures and do not deserve destruction merely for romping through the woods. But I have seen another side of these pets when they are owned and handled irresponsibly. I have seen the results of dogs getting into sheep and running from one to another just doing enough damage to kill one before moving on to the next. I also have witnessed a deer torn apart by two dogs in our front yard until I broke up the carnage. I tracked the deer the following morning and found it dead, finally succumbing to dozens of bites to the flanks suffered over an obvious long distance. I performed a mercy killing on a buck that had huge chunks of meat torn out of its rump to the point where it couldn't even get up to escape. It was a pretty pathetic sight.

I have heard people who were moving to the country thinking out loud about finally having a place where their dogs could run free.

I have owned dogs, and so I feel as strongly as anyone about enjoying loving companion animals that are responsibly cared for and controlled. But I am also aware that not everyone accepts that responsibility. I'm not sure that any of that was the case in this situation, but I am just reminding everyone that pet ownership does carry some pretty heavy responsibility that I hope everyone is as passionate about as they are about this guy that in my opinion used very poor judgment. As important as it is to make an example of this guy, I also think that those that do not control their pets should be dealt with equally harshly.

• Like 5

My dog sleeps on my bed, eats vegetables from my garden and harvested game from my freezer.  He goes with me everywhere and is by far the most important thing in my life other than my immediate family.  I chose my living quarters based on proximity to walkable land for my dog.  I've even chosen jobs based on whether or not I can go home at lunch and take him on day time walks.  My concern for his welfare preoccupies my thoughts and has completely changed the plans I make with my life.  In this regard, I couldn't agree with you more.  We are hunters and lovers of animals.  In this regard I couldn't agree more...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sfoulkrod said:

My dog sleeps on my bed, eats vegetables from my garden and harvested game from my freezer.  He goes with me everywhere and is by far the most important thing in my life other than my immediate family.  I chose my living quarters based on proximity to walkable land for my dog.  I've even chosen jobs based on whether or not I can go home at lunch and take him on day time walks.  My concern for his welfare preoccupies my thoughts and has completely changed the plans I make with my life.   

Certainly your choice - would not be mine. Doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong or a better/worse person.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sfoulkrod said:

My dog sleeps on my bed, eats vegetables from my garden and harvested game from my freezer.  He goes with me everywhere and is by far the most important thing in my life other than my immediate family.  I chose my living quarters based on proximity to walkable land for my dog.  I've even chosen jobs based on whether or not I can go home at lunch and take him on day time walks.  My concern for his welfare preoccupies my thoughts and has completely changed the plans I make with my life.  In this regard, I couldn't agree with you more.  We are hunters and lovers of animals.  In this regard I couldn't agree more...

We bought our house thinking of the dogs. 

Pheasant and rabbit is open and people use dogs for them. People should know what they are shooting at. 

I agree but these dogs were shot on purpose. Hunter felt they were ruining his hunt. If a guy is small game hunting with his dogs that's ok. But idiots just let their dogs run around with no regard to others.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The big problem I see with this sharing of such horrific chit is that it perversely promotes more and keeps the 80% of people that don't hunt nor disapprove of hunting staring at stupidity under the title of hunting...'swaying them toward antihunting. Revolting in and out of our fraternity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1