Hunter Shoots Dogs

Rebel Darling

Funny how killing coyote someone for chasing and killing deer is fine but when someone's dog does they get a pass. Only difference between a pet doing it as ND a coyote  is the pet goes back to a nice warm home after they have the fill of deer and the coyote  stays in the woods under a downed tree or hole in the ground.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vizslas said:

......so when I do hunt with dogs unleashed  they are completely out of my control...Any time you unleash your dog  you are relinquishing control to the dog. Dogs make decisions and as an owner I am responsible for them at all times. fortunately for me my dogs trust me and i couldnt ask for anything more.

If your dogs are completely out of your control then they have not been adequately trained in obedience. I owned dogs for most of my life, and one rule that I always enforced was that they come when I call them, and that technically put them always under my control (leash or no leash). If you don't even have that level of control over your dogs, you really have no business turning them loose on neighboring properties. You apparently are confused as to where your rights end and where your neighbor's begins. And so I repeat, there is no acceptable reason that your dogs or anyone else's dogs should be allowed to run free and uncontrolled on any property that they choose, I don't give a damn what activities they are engaged in.

I have had experience with pet owners who thought it was a great idea to let their household pets run free. And of course those dogs decided (several times) that it would be fun to have a romp through our sheep taking enough hunks of meat out of each one to kill them or leave them in a condition where they had to be destroyed. Their owners also felt it was great for their dogs to run free and uncontrolled. Well, there were some other farmers that disagreed and the problem eventually was solved. But not until we were driven out of business by these free roaming dogs.

I have also seen deer brought down by pets who had owners who decided that their pets should be allowed to "run free". It isn't a pretty or necessary sight to witness.

• Like 1

I know completely well  where my rights start and stop. I have no problems with my dogs. birds on the other hand  look out. Sorry you couldn't keep your sheep safe. maybe you should have had a guard dog. instead of shooting the dogs. Are saying your a dog shooter?

On 12/2/2016 at 4:44 AM, Doc said:

Well, of course no one wants to see these kinds of stories, and for the most part most dogs are harmless lovable creatures and do not deserve destruction merely for romping through the woods. But I have seen another side of these pets when they are owned and handled irresponsibly. I have seen the results of dogs getting into sheep and running from one to another just doing enough damage to kill one before moving on to the next. I also have witnessed a deer torn apart by two dogs in our front yard until I broke up the carnage. I tracked the deer the following morning and found it dead, finally succumbing to dozens of bites to the flanks suffered over an obvious long distance. I performed a mercy killing on a buck that had huge chunks of meat torn out of its rump to the point where it couldn't even get up to escape. It was a pretty pathetic sight.

I have heard people who were moving to the country thinking out loud about finally having a place where their dogs could run free.

I have owned dogs, and so I feel as strongly as anyone about enjoying loving companion animals that are responsibly cared for and controlled. But I am also aware that not everyone accepts that responsibility. I'm not sure that any of that was the case in this situation, but I am just reminding everyone that pet ownership does carry some pretty heavy responsibility that I hope everyone is as passionate about as they are about this guy that in my opinion used very poor judgment. As important as it is to make an example of this guy, I also think that those that do not control their pets should be dealt with equally harshly.

A lot of dog owners are terrible. I live in a subdivision and my immediate neighbor handles their dog so badly that within 1-2 years of them getting it the town had to be called at least twice by two families (and this was after them failing to heed friendly reminders that one of their neighbors' kids has a phobia of dogs--and I have several videos of their dog chasing this kid on my security cam). So what did they go and do? Get another dog. And the town has been called again two more times in the past 8 months. The next time it is called (dogs barking at all hours, breaking into fences, chasing kids, etc.) they'll have to go to court. Some people just won't learn.

Until these people I never would have believed it possible that a golden lab could be so aggressive. You walk down the road and it barks like it wants to hurt you. Literally the scariest golden lab ever--in fact, the only scary one ever--I've known. And it's entirely because they are terrible dog owners. I'm sure it could be a nice dog if not for them.

Shooting a neighbors dog over hunting is illegal, but I am guessing in the past this guy has gone to his neighbors and said you need to keep your dogs off my property. I would sure be annoyed if I were in a stand and some neighbors' out of control dogs would regularly chase everything out of the area on my property.

• Like 1

Ah yes the crazy fringe come out in full support of shooting dogs and are quick to label small game hunters as trespassing lawbreakers. Classic thread turned into nonsense right here.

If some whack job shot my dogs while I was minding my own business hunting small game I would shoot back in self defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vizslas said:

I know completely well  where my rights start and stop. I have no problems with my dogs. birds on the other hand  look out. Sorry you couldn't keep your sheep safe. maybe you should have had a guard dog. instead of shooting the dogs. Are saying your a dog shooter?

If your dogs were to attack any sheep or deer , they deserve to be shot . Apparently some dog owners have poorly trained their dogs and have little or no control over them . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

Ah yes the crazy fringe come out in full support of shooting dogs

Who? Please say exactly who in this thread did that. In fact the craziest, fringe thing in this thread is this:

If some whack job shot my dogs while I was minding my own business hunting small game I would shoot back in self defense.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2016 at 7:13 PM, gjs4 said:

The big problem I see with this sharing of such horrific chit is that it perversely promotes more and keeps the 80% of people that don't hunt nor disapprove of hunting staring at stupidity under the title of hunting...'swaying them toward antihunting. Revolting in and out of our fraternity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I see your point.

My intention was to relate that this incident presents bad optics for all hunters, and to inform, generally.  The information is one thing, individual responses to it are quite another. 

My response is: this certainly doesn't help the cause, and I'll conduct myself accordingly.

2 hours ago, vizslas said:

Are you saying a dog attacking livestock shouldn't be put down? I'm not clear on that.

What is the argument for not shooting a dog attacking livestock? At that point, farmers and ranchers are permitted to shoot wolves, mountain lions, bears, etc. when that happens. Why would a dog be given a protection in this scenario?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, phade said:

Are you saying a dog attacking livestock shouldn't be put down? I'm not clear on that.

What is the argument for not shooting a dog attacking livestock? At that point, farmers and ranchers are permitted to shoot wolves, mountain lions, bears, etc. when that happens. Why would a dog be given a protection in this scenario?

As far as I know, it IS legal for a citizen to shoot dogs that are attacking livestock.

Wild deer ?  No, unless your are a LEO....

• Like 6

There is only one way you can shoot a dog...attacks.. I have been attacked more than once...I shot a dog...DEC told me had I not had a gun..It being in a killing frenzy would have gone for my throat.  Of this I have absolutely no doubt. Another time I had one chase me through my woods and up the road ,me have to back up this steep hill backwards fending it off with a big limb until Mr B heard my screams of help and shot in the air.That ended with an ambulance trip to the ER,do to over stressing my thighs causing a complete tear of the muscle the next day at work. Two weeks out of work to heal. I was trapped in a stand by 2 dogs,had 2 pit bulls chase me to our house and circled it while I called the cops,goat herd killed by dogs and then charged at the same barn 4 days later. I trained Bear for protection. He took on a PACK of dogs  That had snuck up behind me,one never went home,another chow that charged me wouldn't have gone home but I gave the release command. 

Some of you are clueless idiots that I would bet never lived in the country...Want a stereotype? Here's one Citiots move out to the country and you think it's a license to allow your domestic pets to roam where ever they want. Better yet you don't live here and drop off YOUR PROBLEMS on our door steps. What ....you think we all take strays in or they want to be taken in? Get a clue...dogs are like cats..They go feral,and it doesn't take long if coyotes don't take them out first..

I can't stand ignorance..you do not know how to,you don't have the time to,you haven't the temperament to train your "pet"....then DO NOT GET ONE! If you haven't got it in you to be an Alfa buy a freaking Bird! 

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, growalot said:

There is only one way you can shoot a dog...attacks.. I have been attacked more than once...I shot a dog...DEC told me had I not had a gun..It being in a killing frenzy would have gone for my throat.  Of this I have absolutely no doubt. Another time I had one chase me through my woods and up the road ,me have to back up this steep hill backwards fending it off with a big limb until Mr B heard my screams of help and shot in the air.That ended with an ambulance trip to the ER,do to over stressing my thighs causing a complete tear of the muscle the next day at work. Two weeks out of work to heal. I was trapped in a stand by 2 dogs,had 2 pit bulls chase me to our house and circled it while I called the cops,goat herd killed by dogs and then charged at the same barn 4 days later. I trained Bear for protection. He took on a PACK of dogs  That had snuck up behind me,one never went home,another chow that charged me wouldn't have gone home but I gave the release command. 

Some of you are clueless idiots that I would bet never lived in the country...Want a stereotype? Here's one Citiots move out to the country and you think it's a license to allow your domestic pets to roam where ever they want. Better yet you don't live here and drop off YOUR PROBLEMS on our door steps. What ....you think we all take strays in or they want to be taken in? Get a clue...dogs are like cats..They go feral,and it doesn't take long if coyotes don't take them out first..

I can't stand ignorance..you do not know how to,you don't have the time to,you haven't the temperament to train your "pet"....then DO NOT GET ONE! If you haven't got it in you to be an Alfa buy a freaking Bird! 

I assume Bear is the name of your dog. He sounds tough, but I was going to really give you applause if you had trained a bear for protection. If you google "pet hyena", some people in Africa actually have these as pets, though tellingly most of the pics show the thing muzzled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Core said:

Who? Please say exactly who in this thread did that. In fact the craziest, fringe thing in this thread is this:

Stubby made up laws defending his actions and Doc and Grow have stories. One sided stories are my favorite.

And you are telling me you wouldn't defend yourself if some one was shooting at you?

Why do you feel it was his fault that his property was attacked? So if you were to get robbed, and didn't have a guard dog, maybe you were asking for it? If you take this a step further, maybe a guard dog isn't sufficient, maybe you should have hired an armed guard 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Stubby made up laws defending his actions and Doc and Grow have stories. One sided stories are my favorite.

And you are telling me you wouldn't defend yourself if some one was shooting at you?

I'm not a dog; you said you would shoot at somebody shooting your dog as it chases small game.

Everyone has stories but nobody showed "full support" in this thread for shooting at this guy's dogs, even if they relayed stories about times when it was acceptable by some.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Core said:

I'm not a dog; you said you would shoot at somebody shooting your dog as it chases small game.

Everyone has stories but nobody showed "full support" in this thread for shooting at this guy's dogs, even if they relayed stories about times when it was acceptable by some.

You might want to re read the garbage that Stubby has posted then. And I am not sure how much more support you can show than actually shooting a dog.

So back to my made up scenario, so a shot rings out, how will you prove it was at the hunter or the dog? The point is it is not ok to shoot at dogs or people and there are no laws protecting the dumb people who think it is ok to do so.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

I do not know who this is directed at and I know it certainly isn't me but this is an attack that is completely uncalled for and you might want to re-read the forum rules.

Well isn't it just too bad the my facts,reality,personal option feels like an attack to you. I stand by every word . If you have a need to encounter only "politically correct " soft spoken people, I invite you not to read what comes up under the name  growalot. Regardless of what you may have been taught in school,the entire world does not owe you the feeling of being comfortable all the time. The truth to this entire situation is this...None of these  incidences are the fault of the dog..owners should  have jail time , the excuses which are so long  they are impossible to list in their entirety. The best is..." I can't help the kids let them out", it slipped it's collar,my dog would never do that!...ect..etc...

When that switch in a dog's brain is flipped and it attacks on it's own......there is NO going back..it has become a loaded weapon. If cops and DEC responding to problems were actually trained...fewer warnings and more confiscation would occur. Then law abiding citizens wouldn't have to make the hard decisions to protect them selves and their property.

Edited by growalot

26 minutes ago, growalot said:

Well isn't it just too bad the my facts,reality,personal option feels like an attack to you

So calling people "clueless idiots" and "citiots" isn't name calling and an attack?

I just want to make sure we are all clear on this.

1. Be respectful, do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, contain curses, or otherwise violate of any laws
  2. All posts should be and remain courteous. You have every right to disagree with your fellow community members and explain your perspective. However, you are not free to attack, degrade, insult, or otherwise belittle them or the quality of this community. It does not matter what title or power you hold in this forum, you are expected to obey this rule. Doing otherwise will get your account banned temporarily, or permanently if the situation becomes severe enough (this will be left to the discretion of the moderation team). Phrases such as "shut up, idiot," are indicative of problematic posts and should be reported. Please, remember to stay mature and thoughtful at all times.
Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Doewhacker,

When reading " some of you are clueless idiots ", and ,here's a stereotype, "Citiots" wrung true to you. Then the feeling of a personal attack is on you,not me. I never once made  reference to any one person. I will not be made accounable for your personal feelings and how you interject your self into my words.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, growalot said:

Doewhacker,

When reading " some of you are clueless idiots ", and ,here's a stereotype, "Citiots" wrung true to you. Then the feeling of a personal attack is on you,not me. I never once made  reference to any one person. I will not be made accounable for your personal feelings and how you interject your self into my words.

Nice try rule breaker!!!!

If you cant follow forum rules perhaps its time for you to leave again.

As I said before, I know you are not referring to me but it is what it is and that is, is a rule violation of this site.

14 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Funny how killing coyote someone for chasing and killing deer is fine but when someone's dog does they get a pass. Only difference between a pet doing it as ND a coyote  is the pet goes back to a nice warm home after they have the fill of deer and the coyote  stays in the woods under a downed tree or hole in the ground.

You cant legally kill a coyote outside of the season for running or killing deer.

• Like 1