Good tasting venison

wolc123

I just got done cutting up the quarters from my opening day deer. I deboned them last Wednesday and they've been sitting in the fridge in the garage. I will say that I lost some meat that I didn't like the looks of since it was sitting in a pool of blood, it smelled sour/rank. I won't make that mistake again. The rest once trimmed out looked and smelled good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Field dress and butchering mean as much as preservation and then preparation comes last. My mom used to cook til gray. Horrid. If you don't like venison you have a pally problem and Perhaps video games are a better option for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Diet and age are big factors in taste as well as how it was prepared and butchered. How it died also has a lot to do with flavor.

Anyone who says venison is better than beef I would have to question if they have ever had good beef. I would put a steak from one of my black Angus against any venison steak.

I don't know about the steak, but I did just happen to have two meals of corn-fed button buck liver this fall, and one of black Angus liver.  The BB definitely had a slight edge in flavor.    The Angus was damn good however and I am looking forward to the other two packs in the freezer this winter.   

When it comes to the steaks, the corn-fed deer are definitely on par with the Herford's we used to raise.  Angus steaks are very good though, especially the fatty ones.  I just don't know how many of those my old heart could take.

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just got done cutting up the quarters from my opening day deer. I deboned them last Wednesday and they've been sitting in the fridge in the garage. I will say that I lost some meat that I didn't like the looks of since it was sitting in a pool of blood, it smelled sour/rank. I won't make that mistake again. The rest once trimmed out looked and smelled good

Sorry about the lost meat.  I usually hang the hind quarters in the fridge from hooks up top and rest the front on the neck ( a little lost neck meat is no big deal) on the bottom of the fridge.   One week like that is usually good.  

Sorry about the lost meat.  I usually hang the hind quarters in the fridge from hooks up top and rest the front on the neck ( a little lost neck meat is no big deal) on the bottom of the fridge.   One week like that is usually good.  

Next time they will be hanging like that or on racks over a pan

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Many, many more can make a tenderloin taste like a boot............too damned bad.

The biggest mistake sooooo many make when preparing venison is over cooking.  Hot and FAST is the way we roll.  The bloodier the better..................

Absolutely, my venison steaks never even touch the grill, I have one of those ultra hot searing burners on the side of the grill, about a minute 30 per side over that, depending on thickness obviously. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Absolutely, my venison steaks never even touch the grill, I have one of those ultra hot searing burners on the side of the grill, about a minute 30 per side over that, depending on thickness obviously. 

I like the Alton Brown method, get an iron skillet as hot as you can, sear about a minute on each side and then put the skillet in a 500 degree oven for maybe two minutes. I like steaks just past rare so times may vary

• Like 1