So what the heck are you doing out there?

Doc

10 hours ago, Doc said:

And I was thinking to myself, "These are the kids we are supposed to interest in hunting? ...... It can't be done!" 

Seeing how my daughter likes to go shooting I asked her last summer if she would be interested in taking the hunter safety course and going hunting with me, I told her we would go for just a few hours and if she didn't like it, no big deal. Her immediate response was, "No f-ing way!" (Yes from being around me she has picked up my colorful vocabulary). Needless to say I see zero interest in hunting from any of my daughter's classmates and from other kids in the neighborhood. Here where I live most kids are engaged in either after-school activities (music, drama club) or team sports. 

13 minutes ago, Uptown Redneck said:

Seeing how my daughter likes to go shooting I asked her last summer if she would be interested in taking the hunter safety course and going hunting with me, I told her we would go for just a few hours and if she didn't like it, no big deal. Her immediate response was, "No f-ing way!" (Yes from being around me she has picked up my colorful vocabulary). Needless to say I see zero interest in hunting from any of my daughter's classmates and from other kids in the neighborhood. Here where I live most kids are engaged in either after-school activities (music, drama club) or team sports. 

Unfortunately that is not a unique reaction. Today, hunting is lacking the "cool" factor. Society is succumbing to the pressures exerted by the anti-hunting organizations and their well-financed animal rights campaigns. While we sit here comfortable and making fun of their antics and feeling very confident that the public is viewing their nonsense in a mocking dismissive fashion, the hearts and minds of whole generations and even existing hunters themselves right under our naïve and self-deluded noses.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unfortunately that is not a unique reaction. Today, hunting is lacking the "cool" factor. Society is succumbing to the pressures exerted by the anti-hunting organizations and their well-financed animal rights campaigns. While we sit here comfortable and making fun of their antics and feeling very confident that the public is viewing their nonsense in a mocking dismissive fashion, the hearts and minds of whole generations and even existing hunters themselves right under our naïve and self-deluded noses.

While I cannot speak for others I can speak for my daughter and in no way has her decision to not wanting to go hunting been influenced by any "animal rights" campaigns. Having to sit quietly and in freezing conditions are the reasons why my daughter has no interest in going hunting, and that's before she finds out about having to get up well before the sun rises.

As you have stated earlier "society needs to be changed". Urbanization and technology has hastened the decline of pretty much all outdoor pursuits. Kids today, like pretty much all of the adults I know, myself included, have found more enjoyable, excitable things to do. My daughter would never find the smallest bit of enjoyment quietly sitting in the woods freezing. And judging from the declining numbers of hunters I'm willing to guess the same can be said for many. many of others.

But on the bright side, less hunters does mean less people in the woods on those few occasions when I do venture afield during the hunting season.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I spend time  in the woods hunting , because my wife doesn't . 

On the flip side of that; I introduced my wife to hunting  and we have twice the equipment, a remote deer camp and I get a free pass whenever I want to get away.... 

• Like 1

I would not hunt, if I did not need to eat, or if my appetite and that of my family could be completely satisfied with vegetables.  If that were the case, I would spend all my spare time gardening.   It say's right in the Bible, that God put animals on the Earth for man to eat.   Who am I to not carry out His wishes and do as He intended?  I suppose that anyone who does not hunt for food could probably be satisfied with computer games.     

Are you ever going to make it through a thread without talking about jesus or the Bible!!! Seriously what the hell is wrong with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I honestly have no explanation of why I hunt. For me it does not reduce stress because now everything that I need to get done around the house has to get done in a shorter amount of time. I have to plan ever hunt around family functions which there are plenty of during the season. My Uncle got me into hunting and even though we hunted the same land its was not like there was a huge bond formed over it.  

What I can tell you is I absolutely HAVE to hunt deer no question about it's engraved in my soul for some reason. I hunt for meat and meet only antlers are a bonus to me. I love not buying red meat from the store because I have the ability to put good healthy food on the table that I know exactly what happened to it from the time I made the kill to the time it got cooked up for that nights meal. 

There are a few simple things that I do enjoy about hunting like the friends I have made. Seeing animals in their habitat acting natural because they have no idea you are out there with them and bringing my daughter along with me has given me a whole nothing meaning to what hunting is.  

• Like 1

I love being in the woods, watching them wake up, seeing the sun break the horizon. Watching the squirrels play and any other animals that I am lucky enough to see. But if that was the answer then I could sit in the woods anytime and I don't. I enjoy all the time spent with my hunting buddies and the stories that we tell and the brother hood that comes with hunting. But I can also see my hunting buddies without hunting so that isn't the answer. For me the answer is the unbelievable rush I get from seeing a deer. Any deer...even a fawn. I have no idea what it is about seeing a deer in the woods that gets my blood pumping the way it does. Even ones I have absolutely no intension of shooting give me a feeling like nothing else I have experienced. I have no idea why this happens. Buck fever I guess but even little tiny fawns that I would never consider shooting have my knees knocking. I race my corvette, drag race snowmobiles, I  used to drag race motorcycles and the rush I get seeing a little baby deer that doesn't know I am there for whatever reason is 50 times larger than anything else I do. I guess it is like a drug...I am not sure how I pull myself together enough to make a shot when the opportunity arises. I have missed my fair share so maybe the answer is I don't. If that magical feeling ever goes away, i will be done hunting.

10 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

@wolc123 For real when are you gunna leave god off this forum please

While I will admit to rolling my eyes at a lot of wolc123 posts...I don't see anything wrong with him posting how he feels, just like you and i do. Everyone of us is different and hunts for different reasons. None of them are wrong...He isn't telling you that you should feel that way....

On 12/30/2016 at 0:17 AM, chefhunter86 said:

@wolc123 For real when are you gunna leave god off this forum please

Short answer: NEVER

"The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands.  Everything that lives and moves will be food for you"  

Genesis chapter 9, vs 2-3 (NIV).

God has always loved us meat hunters.  One thing is for sure, He has blessed me more than ever with venison this season.  You are still hunting deer aren't you Chef?  Good luck, and I hope there will be some more "food for you" this season.   

Short answer: NEVER

"The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands.  Everything that lives and moves will be food for you"  
Genesis chapter 9, vs 2-3 (NIV).

God has always loved us meat hunters.  One thing is for sure, He has blessed me more than ever with venison this season.  You are still hunting deer aren't you Chef?  Good luck, and I hope there will be some more "food for you" this season.   

Roaches and maggots on crap live and move would you eat those too?