No Fat !!!

the blur

It was a big fat doe.   But I have never seen that much fatty looking material.

Thinking about the 1 time I ground my own deer; I carefully removed all the silver lining, tendons, and anything that wasn't meat.    So it came out real lean.

This is the 1st time I had a butcher grind up meat, so I really don't know..................

The other thing is...it's probably yours and every other deer he processed that day. What they do is butcher all day...take out all the meat for sausage and set it aside. Sometimes they weigh the meat from each deer for this, sometimes not...they grind and mix ALL meat together and then give back what was weighed out OR estimate what you should get back.

Sausage is an end of day deal usually...sometimes all the cutting boards/blades are cleaned up and it all goes in the pot. Though usually that's the hotdogs...seriously  X Brother in-law gave up butchering apprenticeship at a store in Arkport...couldn't handle the thought..

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

The other thing is...it's probably yours and every other deer he processed that day. What they do is butcher all day...take out all the meat for sausage and set it aside. Sometimes they weigh the meat from each deer for this, sometimes not...they grind and mix ALL meat together and then give back what was weighed out OR estimate what you should get back.
Sausage is an end of day deal usually...sometimes all the cutting boards/blades are cleaned up and it all goes in the pot. Though usually that's the hotdogs...seriously  X Brother in-law gave up butchering apprenticeship at a store in Arkport...couldn't handle the thought..

I'm pretty sure they're required to give you back YOUR deer, but I'm smart enough to know they surely do it exactly the way you described

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'm pretty sure they're required to give you back YOUR deer, but I'm smart enough to know they surely do it exactly the way you described

Nope they just need to give you back the amount of meat you brought in. In other words your deer yielded 30lbs. of burger you get 30lbs. of burger from the batch or 40lbs. after fat is added. If you want burger most butchers will throw your scraps with others into a bin and grind all at once instead of firing up the grinder 20 different times.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 3

Nope they just need to give you back the amount of meat you brought in. In other words your deer yielded 30lbs. of burger you get 30lbs. of burger from the batch or 40lbs. after fat is added. If you want burger most butchers will throw your scraps with others into a bin and grind all at once instead of firing up the grinder 20 different times.

Ok thanks for setting me straight. Yet another reason to butcher your own

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ok thanks for setting me straight. Yet another reason to butcher your own

Most definitely, I have had places make me sausage, hot dogs and similar products and found a lot of hair and bone fragments. Pretty much said no thanks. There used to be a place outside of Avoca called Switzers and they would actually give you back your meat but most butchers don't do that with burger products. If you ask for whole cuts then you will usually get your meat back. 

This is an age old problem....Like most things in life if you want it done to your specs...do it yourself. I have gone both routes and in the end if you find what you consider a reputable deer processor then stick with them. I use a couple of different places and am pleasantly happy with their end product vs. having to find time, space and material to process it myself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Not all do this. Ty's Deer doss 1 deer at a time including grinding and fresh sausages. 400 to 500 deer this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Most definitely, I have had places make me sausage, hot dogs and similar products and found a lot of hair and bone fragments. Pretty much said no thanks. There used to be a place outside of Avoca called Switzers and they would actually give you back your meat but most butchers don't do that with burger products. If you ask for whole cuts then you will usually get your meat back. 

Even then with whole cuts im still not convinced you getting your deer back.

• Like 1

There are places like Wilsons that do ground meats and sausages that give you an option. They say straight up...you bring in cleaned chunked meat..they inspect before using and tell you less than 30 #'s you are getting a mixed product. If you want only your meat back in product...you need to have 30#'s or more.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Man I'm glad the processor I use is awesome never anything but the best and always your meat back. Always

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stick with him! It's truly a rarity, these days to always get a job well done, AND "your" meat back. We started doing our own quite a few years ago. Because even then, we couldn't find a place where could get both at the same time. I actually enjoy doing it myself now. And would never even think to bring my deer to someone else.

• Like 1

Stick with him! It's truly a rarity, these days to always get a job well done, AND "your" meat back. We started doing our own quite a few years ago. Because even then, we couldn't find a place where could get both at the same time. I actually enjoy doing it myself now. And would never even think to bring my deer to someone else.

Yea for me until I get good at making smoked meats I'll let him do it. We don't eat steaks or Hamburg or anything like that we get all smoke meat and hotdogs sumer sausage snack sticks jerky pepperoni and the likr

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk