Any ideas for a new bow

ekiert515

I am currently looking for a new bow. Ive never bought one, all of mine have been hand-me-downs. I have been shooting a Hoyt Heat, older bow but dead nuts. with the technology these days, i figured its time for a major upgrade. Im not too caught up one whats out there, so im up for any suggestions

Don't get caught up with brands . Guys get stuck on bow brands like they do with cars .

Go to a few bow shops and try some out Bowtech , Mathews , Hoyt , Ben Pearson , PSE , and on and on . Get the one that feels good in your hands and has a smooth draw . If you are feeling pressured by a dealer , walk out !

Thanks for the advice. Ive spoke with a few ppl and each one says that the barnd of bow they shoot is the best. well maybe for them. Ive shot a couple so far but im going to be sending the money i want to get something i really like and feel comfortable with

If you are comparing to an older bow, any bow will amaze you now.  However when you start to get into the uper class of bows. They are truly modern marvals.  I upgrade every 2 years.  And within that amount of time the technology is very improved.  I just picked up my new Mathews z7 xtreme last week. And absolutly love it.

I pulled my 1990 bow out of the closet again this past season and lucked out and actually killed a buck with it.  I guess it's time for me to upgrade to maybe a 1993 or 1994 model now?  Anybody selling one??  :)

I got a lightly used (ha) Martin for you... can you shoot lefthanded?

If so make me an offer....haha

Of course its probaly way to new for you steve863, I think I bought in the early 2000's.

I pulled my 1990 bow out of the closet again this past season and lucked out and actually killed a buck with it.  I guess it's time for me to upgrade to maybe a 1993 or 1994 model now?  Anybody selling one??  :)

I got a lightly used (ha) Martin for you... can you shoot lefthanded?

If so make me an offer....haha

Of course its probaly way to new for you steve863, I think I bought in the early 2000's.

Nah I don't think I'm interested.  I have my heart set on something from the mid 90's.  Early 2000's would be too much of a jump for me.  I'm pretty conservative and traditional as many here already know.  ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are comparing to an older bow, any bow will amaze you now.  However when you start to get into the uper class of bows. They are truly modern marvals.  I upgrade every 2 years.  And within that amount of time the technology is very improved.  I just picked up my new Mathews z7 xtreme last week. And absolutly love it.

I myself just bought a Mathews Z7 Extreme....Smooth draw, shoots like a dream, and is dead quiet.  But I finally decided this after shooting a bunch of bows and going back and forth for many months.

Good Luck with what ever bow you decide to buy.

I've had Martins and PSE for many years, I recently got a Bear Strike and it may be one of the best bows I have ever shot.  Quiet, smooth, very acurate and forgiving.  It won't break the bank either.  These newer Bears are great bows.  They're not cheap junk like they used to be.  I'm considering get rid of my PSE to buy another Bear.

I've had Martins and PSE for many years, I recently got a Bear Strike and it may be one of the best bows I have ever shot.  Quiet, smooth, very acurate and forgiving.  It won't break the bank either.  These newer Bears are great bows.  They're not cheap junk like they used to be.  I'm considering get rid of my PSE to buy another Bear.

My 1990 bow I picked up again this year just happens to be a Bear.  I know of at least one older one that still shoots.  Mine even fell out of a tree a number of years ago and it was no worse for wear.  I can imagine that happening to one of those lightweight ones that are being made today by any company.  There would be pieces flying everywhere, I'm sure.  For the little I practiced with it over the years, I have always found the bow to be quite accurate also.  I can imagine how accurate it could be for someone who practiced more.  I wouldn't doubt that there has been more advanced bow companies out there over recent years, but at least the one old Bear I have I wouldn't consider complete junk.

I think there was a time when Bear was using a lot of cheap components and selling through Walmart and Kmart.  That's really what I meant to say.  BY today's standards with bows costing as much or more than a lot of quality rifles, its nice to get into a great bow like a Bearfor $500 or less new.  Whats even better in the case of the one I bought it out shoots the more expensive PSE bow that I have.   

don't get caught up in all the hype out there. Gotta have the fastest, most expensive bow out there type. Shoot a bunch of them and go with what feels good to you. I got a bunch of friends together and shot what they had. Most of them have the same draw or close to it for me. just don't let a dealer talk you into something if it doesn't feel right.  I