Portable Fish Finder Advice

BizCT

In the market for a new portable FF for my reservoir boat. Planning to buy one within the next 6 weeks. Anybody buy a newer model recently?

The Garmin looked cool when I saw it at the hunting/fishing expo last March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Garmin last spring. I don't recall what model it is. But it was my first Garmin. And I'm pretty impressed with it! Have in the past used Eagle, Humminbird, and Lowrance. But the Garmin so far, is the best I've had on my boat.

I picked up a Garmin last spring. I don't recall what model it is. But it was my first Garmin. And I'm pretty impressed with it! Have in the past used Eagle, Humminbird, and Lowrance. But the Garmin so far, is the best I've had on my boat.

Thx. A Portable Garmin, or regular one?

I rarely use my 'fish finders' to find 'fish'. I use them to find depth, bottom contour and bottom structure. Once I put those three together in the right place, I'll 'find fish'.

Yea for me the basic hummingbird pirahnamax I think it was called work for many years. I really just need it for depth. The surface temp helps a little. Also what depth the trout are suspended at.

• Like 1

Why do you want a portable fish finder on the boat? What else do you plan on doing with it? IMO they are a waste of money.... If I was going to put a "portable" fish finder in my boat I would go with a Marcum LX7 and buy the transducer kit to mount on the boat and then you can use for ice fishing or whatever else too.  I actually have one that I use for ice fishing but I like to have a standard sonar system on my boat separately.

38 minutes ago, njg0621 said:

Why do you want a portable fish finder on the boat? What else do you plan on doing with it? IMO they are a waste of money.... If I was going to put a "portable" fish finder in my boat I would go with a Marcum LX7 and buy the transducer kit to mount on the boat and then you can use for ice fishing or whatever else too.  I actually have one that I use for ice fishing but I like to have a standard sonar system on my boat separately.

The way it works for us fishing the reservoirs in Westchester and Putnam counties is that your boat has to stay at the reservoir. They are locked up by chain. Therefore, nobody leaves anything valuable with the boat. I bring all my stuff (tackle, rod holders, fishfinder, etc.) everytime I go to fish.

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Anyone ever try the one you cast out?

Yes, I had one about 15 years ago, it was junk. I've bought Humminbird Fishin Buddys ever since, I'm averaging about 5 years with them, which includes an average of 1 trip to Canada each year.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I've bought Humminbird Fishin Buddys ever since, I'm averaging about 5 years with them, which includes an average of 1 trip to Canada each year.

Hows the battery life on a trip?

Have an older model that still works, but thinking of trying a new one on Canadian trip.

5 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Hows the battery life on a trip?

Have an older model that still works, but thinking of trying a new one on Canadian trip.

I average one full day on a fresh set (I think it takes 8, have to check). Not dirt cheap, but if you're going all the way to Canada....

My uncle has a Fishin Buddy that's rechargeable, would love to get my hands on one, but have never come across one since. I'm sure they stopped making them.

9 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Well that'll be a neat trick! The photo is from Canadice Lake, a lake in which I can't seem to buy a trout.

Hopefully the Fluke will change my luck!

The things I did on Canadice Lake in the 70's could get a guy in jail these days.  (or then)

We caught lots of fish, just not too many trout.  Lots of pan fish, bass and chain pickerel.  No fish finders for us then, just a couple broke kids.

Sorry for the derail.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...