Old Posted sign..

wooly

I found this in an old pile of field stones that got plowed into the timber some time ago.

Metal sign with raised letters and in pretty good condition except for some flaking paint.

I don't think it's THAT old, but I think it may be from before my time.(maybe 30-40+ yrs?)

Anyone have an idea on age? I thought it was a cool piece so I rescued it.

DSC_0013.JPG

• Like 7

"On April 22, 1970-the first Earth Day-legislation was signed creating the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, one of the first government agencies specifically formed for the purpose of overseeing all environmental concerns through one organization. The legislation provided for a melding of the duties of the old Conservation Department, with responsibility for some programs from the Department of Health and some state commissions to DEC, and the creation of entirely new disciplines within the agency."

I got this off their website....so it looks to me that it must be pre 1970 if I'm reading it correctly....sign says "State of NY Conservation Department which was replaced by NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation in 1970.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/9677.html

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 3

That's a cool find! I've seen some similar to that over the years, but never in as good shape as that one. As stated, they usually have bullet holes or are so rusted, it's hard to read them. Gotta say, you happen to find the coolest stuff, while in the woods! Must be those eagle eyes and an acute way of picking out every detail in your travels afield. It shows, from what you post here, that you spend more time out there than most. Hope some day our paths cross.

This terrific sign is from the New York State Conservation Department. We believe it dates from the 1950s-1960s, during the later years of that agency's existence between 1926 and 1963. Signs like this were ordered for posting along roadsides and trails in the woods, warning passersby that state law protected wildlife in the area, and hunting, fishing and trapping were prohibited. The maker name SCIOTO SIGNS, KENTON, O.[hio] name appears at the very bottom

Worth $75.00 ???

https://www.rubylane.com/item/27950-6637/Vintage-1950s-60s-Wildlife-Management-NO

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steve D said:

This terrific sign is from the New York State Conservation Department. We believe it dates from the 1950s-1960s, during the later years of that agency's existence between 1926 and 1963. Signs like this were ordered for posting along roadsides and trails in the woods, warning passersby that state law protected wildlife in the area, and hunting, fishing and trapping were prohibited. The maker name SCIOTO SIGNS, KENTON, O.[hio] name appears at the very bottom

Worth $75.00 ???

https://www.rubylane.com/item/27950-6637/Vintage-1950s-60s-Wildlife-Management-NO

:good:

Nice- thanks for digging that up!

Gonna hang it in the shed for another 50 years or so. 

• Like 2