New hunter

doubletrapata

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the sport though I've been fishing my entire life. After living in NYC for the past 20 years I'm back out on the East end of Long Island where I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all of the great hunting opportunities in the area. To be specific I'm living on the North Fork where I do a good bit of fly fishing in the salt and I'm looking to extend my outdoor season by hunting waterfowl, turkey, and deer. I just completed my hunter and bowhunter safety courses and I'm here to soak up all the information I can so I can get out there and hunt as safely and successfully as possible. 

If there is anyone in the area that would be interested in helping a middle aged newbie learn the ropes let me know!

• Like 1

Welcome! Happy that you found us, and that you are giving hunting a try! There are some top notch hunters here that will always be willing to help you. There are a few really good members, from L.I. too, that I'm sure will chime in as well. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Just pull up a seat and join right in!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!  Hunting deer on LI is done with bow and arrow primarily, do you have one?  I mainly hunt deer.  I can help with the deer part if your interested.  I shoot at Suffolk Archers mostly but also shoot the guns at Ridge.  Let me know what you are interested in hunting deer and I can give you some good information.  Gun for deer would be up north of the city past Westchester.  Suffolk county does have a late shotgun season but it is restricted to certain locations. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Welcome to the forum!  Hunting deer on LI is done with bow and arrow primarily, do you have one?  I mainly hunt deer.  I can help with the deer part if your interested.  I shoot at Suffolk Archers mostly but also shoot the guns at Ridge.  Let me know what you are interested in hunting deer and I can give you some good information.  Gun for deer would be up north of the city past Westchester.  Suffolk county does have a late shotgun season but it is restricted to certain locations. 

Thanks for the reply. For deer and turkey I plan on bow hunting and I do have one, Hoyt Powermax, that I have been shooting for about 5 months to get my skills in order. I generally shoot both at a local club and would love to meet up and get some pointers on scouting out spots and any tips on outfitting for a hunt in the area as far as clothing, tree stands, broad heads, etc. 

Your in luck the North Folk of LI has many opportunities for deer and turkey.  What club do you shoot at, do they have any tournaments?  We have some at our club, fun time shooting and hones your skills.  I have shot at the Peconic River 3D shoots another fun place.  Clothing is usually light as the season starts in October if you hunt till the end you will need warmer clothes as it goes to January and might even be extended past that next year.  Good base layers are key for scent control, comfort and warmth, I use something that wicks away moister like Scent lock, Under Armor and Field and Stream all have good base layers depending on how cold it is.  Next is usually another layer or outer layer again depending on how cold it is.  Most outer layers you will want some sort of water proofing or carry an extra set for rain or high winds.  Tree stands broad heads and scouting I can give more info on later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Your in luck the North Folk of LI has many opportunities for deer and turkey.  What club do you shoot at, do they have any tournaments?  We have some at our club, fun time shooting and hones your skills.  I have shot at the Peconic River 3D shoots another fun place.  Clothing is usually light as the season starts in October if you hunt till the end you will need warmer clothes as it goes to January and might even be extended past that next year.  Good base layers are key for scent control, comfort and warmth, I use something that wicks away moister like Scent lock, Under Armor and Field and Stream all have good base layers depending on how cold it is.  Next is usually another layer or outer layer again depending on how cold it is.  Most outer layers you will want some sort of water proofing or carry an extra set for rain or high winds.  Tree stands broad heads and scouting I can give more info on later. 

MGC in Cutchougue. They do some informal archery events, paper targets, in the summer and I shoot a bunch of trap there during ATA tournaments. I haven't had a chance to try any of the 3D tournaments though I'm sure I'd have some fun. Thanks for the info so far, I really appreciate it.