Stream Fishing Muddy Water Question

DirtTime

While I was out today I bought a light-weight open face rod and reel set up. With all the streams around I figured why not. Not top of the line but gear, I am sure it will be fine. I set it up with some 4# test line ( same way I set up years ago ), and picked up a few spoons. I have mentioned before, most of my fishing gear is aimed at Bass, Eye's, Pike, etc. Anyway....

I don't see the streams clearing up anytime soon, or the levels going down. So, my question is:

Any advice on how to fish streams for trout in really muddy water? 

In my experience of muddy water and high water.fish out of the current if can.find pockets and pools where the fish will be hanging around.any type of cover or closer to the banks where the flow may let up a bit.keep lure as deep as possible(without getting hung up on something)..good luck!!...i myself didnt have luck this past saturday but saw a few fish caught another guy.was using a gold panther martin/mepps inline spinner,bouncing it off the rocks right along the bank.IMO the more "flash" you have the better.kastmaster spoons or spinners would be my go to.best of luck

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Any advice on how to fish streams for trout in really muddy water? 

Stay home...muddy/ fast water/ & trout do not make a good combination. With 4lb test you will be losing more lures on snags & hang ups than catching fish.

• Like 1

I target the "pocket water", tail-outs and along deep bank cuts where the water is slower and quieter. Work these small pockets slowly and have just enough weight to "tic" the bottom but not drag or get hung up. I use several small weights instead on one and can adjust properly from there. 

• Like 4

Ive posted this before but a wise man once told me it's a great time to fish, there's a lot of food in the water and the trout feel safe out of their hides. I caught a beast on Elton when it was scary to cross it. By beast I mean a 15" rainbow but they're wild in that creek so to me that's a beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I target the "pocket water", tail-outs and along deep bank cuts where the water is slower and quieter. Work these small pockets slowly and have just enough weight to "tic" the bottom but not drag or get hung up. I use several small weights instead on one and can adjust properly from there. 

I keep shot in my mouth when nymphing and am always adding/removing. If you're not "ticing" you aren't fishing

Green discolored water is great.....MUDDY high water takes a better fisherman than me to catch fish consistently...
And there are MANY better stream fisherman than me out there..

I sure don't like to fish high muddy water but if I drove an hour to find out, I'm fishing it lol

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 7:58 PM, Steve D said:

Stay home...muddy/ fast water/ & trout do not make a good combination. With 4lb test you will be losing more lures on snags & hang ups than catching fish.

That and switch to small diameter braid with mono leader, use fluorocarbon in clear water.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:04 AM, chas0218 said:

That and switch to small diameter braid with mono leader, use fluorocarbon in clear water.

I had some real issues with the strength of the early fluorocarbon line and always use the best line and/or tippet materials you can afford.

I personally do not like braid for stream fishing and like the high end available mono out there. I like light lines weather I am fly fishing or spinning in streams. Some swear by braids and if one uses braid know what knots to use to avoid break off......

• Like 1

I had the same issues with early fluorocarbon...Knot strength was very poor..It has improved a lot over the years, though.

I'm not a big braid fan either, although I do use it for deep water vertical jigging ( with a fluorocarbon leader) due to it's lack to stretch...Mono is like a rubber band  jigging 100 to 150 down ..With the braid I can feel a laker BREATHE on 1 or 1.5 oz jig 100 feet down...

• Like 1