United Airlines memes

Nomad

Normally I tend to side with police first because of the way the media tends to bias the stories the other way.

However in this case the onus falls solely on United and Chicago Aviation Security (they're not on the same level as armed police but above mall rent a cop).

Simply put for the CAS, their own spokesperson came out stating that their officers only have limited authority to make arrests to begin with and that this scenario was not in line with their standard operating procedure. All three officers are now on leave. Also need to keep in mind, the passenger did not do anything illegal to warrant arrest or physical restraint.

It's not even clear he was subject to the carrier contract terms because this wasn't the case of an overbooked flight. It was a full flight yes, but as others have mentioned, it wasn't oversold, they needed to make room for employees that were needed last minute at another hub. To me that just shows logistical and operational incompetence that a paying customer should not have to suffer for.

Operational incompetence is basically the root of everything here. They should have just kept upping the compensation offer until someone volunteered. But whoever was in charge of that flight either wasn't given enough latitude to make such decisions or dropped the ball and decided to take the easy way out by calling in security to force the passenger off. 

Unfortunately the latter happens all too often because the airline employees don't want to deal with the responsibility and decide to call the cops. My best friend is a Port Authority officer at JFK and he tells me they get called in constantly for the stupidest things because an airline doesn't know how or want to deal with things.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 2:38 AM, Elmo said:

By law, they can cap it at $1350, so thats what most airlines capped it at in their policy. Theres no law that says they cant offer more, and some are upping their corporate limits.

Just wait till airline ticket prices go up because of this, then everyone will be yelling that they are getting ripped off.

I read about a couple with 3 teenage children who were bumped off a flight headed for Florida. It was somewhere in the mid-west. They each accepted the $1,350 compensation for their seats and free motel rooms for four days. The father said it was fine because the weather was good, they got to see a city they'd never seen before, and they went home with almost $11,000 more than they left with. Life is what you make of it.

• Like 1

seems the past 3 times i've flew with Southwest before they boarded announcements where made that they needed X number of seats.  always been 1-3.  seems someone always takes the deal as soon as they reach $800 plus stay overnight in a nice hotel with a different flight out the next day.  boarding people first and then trying to fix the situation seems half***ed.  i almost thought about taking it one time but someone beat me to it.  i use Southwest reward points to fly so flights don't really cost me anything.  it'd be money in my pocket.

52 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

seems the past 3 times i've flew with Southwest before they boarded announcements where made that they needed X number of seats.  always been 1-3.  seems someone always takes the deal as soon as they reach $800 plus stay overnight in a nice hotel with a different flight out the next day.  boarding people first and then trying to fix the situation seems half***ed.  i almost thought about taking it one time but someone beat me to it.  i use Southwest reward points to fly so flights don't really cost me anything.  it'd be money in my pocket.

I fly Southwest all the time for work. The last bump I was offered was $600 and I would arrive at my final destination an hour and a half later than original. It turned out not to be needed. I was kinda bummed, I would have liked to have the money.

• Like 1

My wife was offered $600 to get bumped from a Southwest flight.  She called me to ask what she should do.  I told her to take it.  She then calls me back to tell me they upped it to $800.  I gave her the "Why are you even contemplating this?  Of course you take it!"  5 seconds later, she calls me back to tell someone else volunteered before she could.

• Like 3

I took a bump in Detroit, they put me in the Westin and gave me a $600 voucher. Delta. When we went to use the voucher they said it had to be used toward one ticket! After a few different "managers" and a lot of yelling they applied it to three tickets. We were going to Florida the flights were under $300.
So now when they need a volunteer they can suck it, I'll scream like that Asian hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the vouchers ever expire?  Is there a catch or restrictions (other than having to use it all on one ticket?

I once "won" free airline tickets but to use the tickets I have to stay at certain participating hotels which charge a lot more than the type of hotels I normally stay at so even with the "free ticket", the total cost of the vacation would have cost more than if I bought my own plane ticket at stayed at a different hotels.  Plus I had to use the ticket within a year so it has since expired.