Trucks

Buck_shooter

I know the OP mentioned Fords and Dodges, but I'm surprised someone hasn't brought Tundras into the discussion yet. I've had Fords, Chevys, GMC's and Dodges over the years. They all had their own sets of issues, and the only one that didn't cost me a transmission in 100k was an older Ford Bronco. But that rotted out on me within 8 years.

I switched to a Tundra in 2007. I still drive it. 137,000k on the odometer and I've replaced brakes twice, and the battery once (although I'll replace it again before next winter). That's it. Oops, I almost forgot, I replaced one of the license plate bulbs when I had it inspected last year. I've got my first rust spot on the tailgate this past winter, a 3 inch bubble under the paint.

I'm a big buy American type of guy, but when it comes to expensive repairs and my wallet, I'm stuck on Tundras unless Toyota starts going downhill.

All that said, I love the look of the new Chevys!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I know the OP mentioned Fords and Dodges, but I'm surprised someone hasn't brought Tundras into the discussion yet. I've had Fords, Chevys, GMC's and Dodges over the years. They all had their own sets of issues, and the only one that didn't cost me a transmission in 100k was an older Ford Bronco. But that rotted out on me within 8 years.

I switched to a Tundra in 2007. I still drive it. 137,000k on the odometer and I've replaced brakes twice, and the battery once (although I'll replace it again before next winter). That's it. Oops, I almost forgot, I replaced one of the license plate bulbs when I had it inspected last year. I've got my first rust spot on the tailgate this past winter, a 3 inch bubble under the paint.

I'm a big buy American type of guy, but when it comes to expensive repairs and my wallet, I'm stuck on Tundras unless Toyota starts going downhill.

All that said, I love the look of the new Chevys!

Even Tundras aren't immune to issues.  My father's Tundra has been to the dealer 6 or 7 times now for various electrical issues.  Granted, it has been fairly mechanically sound in the last 7 years. 

My biggest problem with the Tundra when I was looking is that Toyota still puts almost no effort into their interiors.  I know a lot of guys here are minimalists when it comes to trucks, but I average 2500 miles per month and that time is spent inside the truck, so I appreciate my creature comforts.  I used to laugh at stuff like that, but that was before I had heated and cooled leather seats. 

If I could do it again, the only thing I would do differently is get a bed rug... 

• Like 3

The tundra fuel mileage is pretty bad as well as the interiors. They are pretty good motors with a decent reliability. But man do they suck down fuel. I had a Titan and thought that thing was bad, I've had 3 different buddies get tundras and get rid of them within a year for the terrible mileage. That 5.7 does run good, she's just thirsty. The tundras won't tow as much as other brands and they are priced really high for what capabilities you get. People have mentioned resale value on tundras being good, but I don't think that's the case anymore. The tacomas hold their value better than anything I've ever seen, but the tundras I've seen for sale lately are much cheaper than a Ford of comparable year and mileage

16 hours ago, cdmckane said:

I HATE my 2007 ram 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi.  I cant decide if it's the engine that's weak, or a bad transmission.  Regardless, it can't pull a trailer to save it's life.  I get horrible mileage and get to go up hills at like 40 mph unless I want to kick it down and scream it.   I'm driving it til it dies then buying a  Powerstroke. 

Sounds like something is wrong with it. My 1500 with the 5.7 pulls like theres no tomorrow. Towed just under 9k lbs from Tampa Florida to WNY with ease, pull our 27ft travel trailer all over the state as well as anything I load up on my flatbed.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

My suggestion, avoid financing and leasing all together! I'm only 30 but have never paid a car payment in my life and can't imagine I ever will. I own a 2014 Silverado my wife owns a 16 explorer and my daily driver is a 2007 explorer. Paid cash for all of them. Bought my truck a couple years ago and have been paying a "payment" to a separate account every month since. In a couple years I'll have enough to buy another new truck. The good thing about new trucks getting so expensive is that used ones hold their value. I would rather make money on my money than pay someone for money any day. Before someone says it we are far from wealthy just live modestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's nothing wrong with this approach if it's in your cards. There are often 0% financing deals if you're patient. Without getting into the nitty gritty economics of it all, I don't have any issue financing something at 0% apr.

47 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

The tundra fuel mileage is pretty bad as well as the interiors. They are pretty good motors with a decent reliability. But man do they suck down fuel. I had a Titan and thought that thing was bad, I've had 3 different buddies get tundras and get rid of them within a year for the terrible mileage. That 5.7 does run good, she's just thirsty. The tundras won't tow as much as other brands and they are priced really high for what capabilities you get. People have mentioned resale value on tundras being good, but I don't think that's the case anymore. The tacomas hold their value better than anything I've ever seen, but the tundras I've seen for sale lately are much cheaper than a Ford of comparable year and mileage

My boss has a 16 Tundra, he gets 9mpg. It is the TRD with 4.30 gears. Im sure the standard 4.10 geared trucks get slightly better than that.

Im getting between 13 and 15 with my lifted Dodge on 35s. Not as good as when it was stock, but still acceptable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

In my opinion if i have $30,000 to buy a vehicle finance it at the ridiculously low interest rates they charge and do something else with that $30,000. I do understand the philosophy of not having that car payment though

I know a lot of folks who feel some sort of negativity or pride with car payments and not having one. IDK, if you don't have any CC or student loan debt then hats off to you. But if you're avoiding a car payment out of principal but are carrying any sort of loan balance (especially credit cards) excluding a mortgage then you're not really understanding economics.

I see we've veered off the topic of dodge and ford. I still can't say enough about my 16 Silverado. If we're getting into mpg it's pretty solid for a truck. I think after years of problems (my Pontiac g8 has the dod), they have finally figured out the cylinder deactivation. You can actually watch it while you're driving and when cruising I'm almost always in 4 cylinder mode and I dare you to tell me you feel or notice anything when it switches.

but talking about mpg with trucks has always kind of made me laugh.

• Like 1

My boss has a 16 Tundra, he gets 9mpg. It is the TRD with 4.30 gears. Im sure the standard 4.10 geared trucks get slightly better than that.
Im getting between 13 and 15 with my lifted Dodge on 35s. Not as good as when it was stock, but still acceptable.

Ya, 9mpg is the type of terrible mileage they are known to get lol. To me, that kinda mileage is totally unacceptable in 2017 and for the price they charge for the truck. Toyota should of updated that engine years ago to address this issue.

13-15 on 35s isn't bad. That's typical of a gasser with bigger tires. I want to lift mine and get bigger tires but I don't think I want the mileage hit. 33s are a good mix for light off road and driving to work everyday. Miss my Cummins, 35s and still got 18-20mpg. Old powerstroke 7.3 got 16mpg highway on 37s.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Ya, 9mpg is the type of terrible mileage they are known to get lol. To me, that kinda mileage is totally unacceptable in 2017 and for the price they charge for the truck. Toyota should of updated that engine years ago to address this issue.

13-15 on 35s isn't bad. That's typical of a gasser with bigger tires. I want to lift mine and get bigger tires but I don't think I want the mileage hit. 33s are a good mix for light off road and driving to work everyday. Miss my Cummins, 35s and still got 18-20mpg. Old powerstroke 7.3 got 16mpg highway on 37s.

At the moment, mine is sitting on a 3" lift in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear, just enough to tuck the 35s. I have a new lift on the way, Zone 6" in the front and 5" in the back with their Nitro shocks. It will be going in next Friday. Im not figuring Ill take any more of a mileage hit with it. I drive it every day for now, but it will be moving to weekend duty soon.

truck1.jpg

• Like 2

At the moment, mine is sitting on a 3" lift in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear, just enough to tuck the 35s. I have a new lift on the way, Zone 6" in the front and 5" in the back with their Nitro shocks. It will be going in next Friday. Im not figuring Ill take any more of a mileage hit with it. I drive it every day for now, but it will be moving to weekend duty soon.
truck1.jpg

Very nice. You'll like that Zone lift. They make nice stuff. My sister has a 2014 Ram 1500 with that same lift. Rides nice.

Wife and I have been talking new trucks the last few days and I think we might try and get two new trucks instead of just one for her. Thinking of trading in my 2011 crew cab for a 2017 reg cab and get her a 2017 crew cab. Was running some numbers last night at work and the payment difference is extremely minimal compared to what we pay now for my truck and her SUV. I don't need a 4 door to go to work everyday, and I've always loved a reg cab truck with nice wheels and a small lift. Better mpg will be nice for the commute as well. And when I need 4 doors, I still have one next parking spot over in the driveway! Lol Gonna find out in a few weeks how much local dealers will wheel and deal with me if I buy two trucks at once.
  • Like 3

there's nothing wrong with this approach if it's in your cards. There are often 0% financing deals if you're patient. Without getting into the nitty gritty economics of it all, I don't have any issue financing something at 0% apr.

I agree with 0% but to me it's the liability. Paying cash for a vehicle and driving it off the lot is now an asset financing a vehicle and driving it of the lot is now a debt and usually negative equity depending on down payment.

I don't finance anything and hopefully never will. The only loan I have had in my life isn't through a bank so it isn't "official" it is for a land purchase and although my brother and I had the cash my aunt wanted us to pay payments on it because she is elderly and retired and wanted a little extra monthly income.

• Like 1

Again, I'm not anti-cash. Just that putting $40k cash into a truck Isn't the end all be all. Especially if you can get 0% and put that cash to work investing somewhere else.

In the end, it really doesn't matter! I don't like loans and debt anymore than the next guy. But we're all gonna be 6ft under someday, might as well spend it, and enjoy it.

Ive got a 15 tundra Crewmax with a 3" lift in the front and 1.5 in the rear on 33's and I average 15mpg. Although it doesn't take much more foot pressure to drop it to 10mpg. I didn't buy my truck to worry about fuel mileage. Plus the Crewmax is ridiculously huge on the inside, I now put my bow, climber and all of my gear on the inside of the truck, which is nice. Toyota updated the interior in 2013 which was a vast improvement over the previous years. I don't have any issues with the interior. Is it as nice as the dodges? Probably not but my tailgate and wheel wells won't rot out in 6 years either so I'll take that over extra chrome on the inside. I had a 2007 Dodge ram for 8 years, no real issues, rear wheel seals, and normal maintenance. Although at 6 years it started rusting on the tailgate and wheel wells. I had an 03 Ram before that and the same excessive rusting issue. Hopefully Toyota puts an 8 speed tranny in the trucks in the next year or two. As far as resale, I'm not sure you can beat a Toyota, and of the 6 people I know with Tundras noone has had a single issue, and their as "American" as an F-150.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't finance anything and hopefully never will. The only loan I have had in my life isn't through a bank so it isn't "official" it is for a land purchase and although my brother and I had the cash my aunt wanted us to pay payments on it because she is elderly and retired and wanted a little extra monthly income.

I don't like debt either; but will take advantage of 0%, no use tying up money if I can just pay off at will.

Bought my house at 23 years old and was done with mortgage by 28. Using the money for hunting and guns has been way more fun than a house payment!

On the truck topic; interesting to me as I just bought a Toyota. Can't remember the last time anyone showed on a job site (residential construction) driving a Dodge product except for a crappy beater or two that left the owners more looking for a ride than driving them. Maybe a unique set or circumstances.

I was shopping around for used, and could cut amazing deals on Dodge trucks I looked at, first time I have had dealers lowering the number as I sat there. Did some research and both had major front end issues in past so I quickly crossed them off list.

Bought Toyota by chance as I was convinced of buying used. Ended up with new truck with the fewest miles I have ever started out with in 5 new vehicles I have bought....5.....and 3 of them were my test drive. LOL

Edited by Dinsdale

On April 20, 2017 at 0:00 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

My suggestion, avoid financing and leasing all together! I'm only 30 but have never paid a car payment in my life and can't imagine I ever will. I own a 2014 Silverado my wife owns a 16 explorer and my daily driver is a 2007 explorer. Paid cash for all of them. Bought my truck a couple years ago and have been paying a "payment" to a separate account every month since. In a couple years I'll have enough to buy another new truck. The good thing about new trucks getting so expensive is that used ones hold their value. I would rather make money on my money than pay someone for money any day. Before someone says it we are far from wealthy just live modestly.

My God man, I always admired your hunting style , now it's your financial path.

Im 58 never made a " car payment " or leased a vehicle either . We've lived  well below our means and stay away from debt . You'll do well , it's worked well for us .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

In the end, it really doesn't matter! I don't like loans and debt anymore than the next guy. But we're all gonna be 6ft under someday, might as well spend it, and enjoy it.

I gotta say , I enjoy knowing I put my kids through college debt free, the fact that we can handle an unexpected medical expense in the 6 figures with no worries  and on and on . All before we're 6 feet under . That to me is way more important then trucks and toys. Which is why I passed them by in favor of investments .

• Like 2

My God man, I always admired your hunting style , now it's your financial path.
Im 58 never made a " car payment " or leased a vehicle either . We've lived  well below our means and stay away from debt . You'll do well , it's worked well for us .

If I had a dollar for every time someone says "how can you afford that?" My answer is always the same "debt to income ratio."

They are all junk, no matter what you get. Sometimes they last sometimes they don't ! First new vehicle ever last year, 15 Silverado. Came with rail dust, radio sometimes works, and I'm on my 3rd radiator and thermostat. But, I have a warranty and I get almost 20mpg.

Also notice how my son's Ford can't handle the payload and has blown out the suspension. All over a couple of pretzel fishys. 64c194e23854f542381c962c7638e1ca.jpg4808f4851736b7e1423ac8f313c5ecbc.jpgf8bdc83a799ecf50c0d0fc7dd0369c31.jpg29b14b5c029807ebe441a0153c6c0ad8.jpgab60a5a00cf18d0c7c9572c6c2e98332.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, Larry302 said:

I gotta say , I enjoy knowing I put my kids through college debt free, the fact that we can handle an unexpected medical expense in the 6 figures with no worries  and on and on . All before we're 6 feet under . That to me is way more important then trucks and toys. Which is why I passed them by in favor of investments .

There seems to be a misconception here that having a low or zero percent interest auto loan and a mortgage somehow means you don't have a nest egg or the ability to buy other things in life.

Having a mortgage is totally normal. Having student loans is totally normal. Having a car note or 2 that you can pay and isn't costing you interest is also fine. It's credit card debt that you want to avoid.

• Like 1