Heading for Oneida Tomorrow

Pygmy

One of my good fishing buddies and I are heading up to Oneida tomorrow to fish walleyes for a few days...

I'll be out of touch for the duration, but I'll check in when I get back...Any info on current fishing there would be appreciated..

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, jman22 said:

Tight lines! Calling for over a inch of rain tomorrow and east winds 10 to 20 mph. Stay safe.

Thanks, my friend... Tomorrow will probably be our " settling in" day..We'll just get just set up in camp, have a good dinner and a toddy or two and get ready to fish Wednesday...

• Like 1

Well, the marble eyes won this one...We only boated one keeper walleye in three days of fishing, and only saw a couple of other boats net fish.

We compensated by moving in shallower and catching some huge rock bass and sunfish, some decent perch and a BUNCH of fat smallmouths from 3 to 5 pounds on light tackle..Of course the bass were all C&R, since season is not open yet..It appears that the smallies are benefitting from the growing goby population in Oneida, as they have in Lake Erie... They are big and fat and they fight like crazy on light spinning tackle.. They just loved the 1/16 oz. jigs we were using for panfish

• Like 1

Stayed at Angler's Bay  cabins..Just east of Godfrey point...Fished from Godfrey point east to near Sylvan beach...

Worked the dropoff for a long distance and then tried both shallow water and deeper water..

Did not see any action along the dropoff..Talked to one old gent who said they limited out in 30-36 FOW, but we tried fishing that deep and  did not find many fish..

• 3 months later...

Already one for Oneida lake so might as well post in here. Father in law has camp at Johnson bay marina o n the northwest end. Did some fishing and hung out this past weekend. Caught small mouth that were good size. Some sunfish and perch too. No walleye but father in law does get them. Needed a good large mouth though. Sunday am before breakfast I managed a 7" and this guy which was 17" or so right in the marina. Not sure how much it weighed. Made it quick and got him back in the water to fight another day.
9350cb5d8dde28fdd486a25c14896efa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hope the OP knows I was kidding, that's a nice LMB!

haha.... it's all good TC.  i'm actually a 7'-6" indian and the bass is tipped back to make it appear shorter.  i'm 20' away.  taped out at 37".  had to use the boats to herd it into the marina.  then had to wade in there with a gaff to get it out.  hell of a story actually. didn't want to blow up my spot is all.    ....oh wait how do i delete posts?