Hows your garden doing?...

growalot

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, dbHunterNY said:

Hybrid medium tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, garden beans, sweet bell peppers, blank spot where broccoli would've been, red onion, sweet carmen Italian peppers, more garden beans, more zucchini, and then whole rest is pumpkins. Been neglecting it. Weeds were getting out of control.
e609ae684d025c4615c0268ab5898950.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Love the raised beds, but how do you till the soil every year? Is that all done by hand?

Wide enough for tiller between and down them. None are high really. Different heights because its what i had around at the time. Id make all same height with longer boards to make life easier. All same height. Couple ramps or boards get you up there. Ramps better. Whole end of fencing opens up for straight runs.

Have garden mix in them of compost manure and top soil from local farm that stays airated pretty good. Ive used a manual garden weasel before just fine but don't get the depth. Doesnt compact like the rest. We're mostly clay and gravel here. Normally I'd have more newspaper down to make a heavier covering of it. Didn't have as much so used plastic. Water sprinklers setup on bank to right to water it every day if need be. Slapped together this year a bit due to time but I don't really put much time into it like some.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 7/8/2017 at 11:04 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've got one of these that attaches to my trimmer, highly recommend! It was $86 at HDf34233faf8553e35c88b2dee442d96ea.jpg

I have the exact same thing. Great for small projects and if the ground is "softish". Not so great for a large project that i tried once with it. Also doesn't do well where weeds and grass is present. Tends to bind in the blades, but if it's just dirt it's a great attachment. I have the pole saw, edger and brush cutter too lol.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have the exact same thing. Great for small projects and if the ground is "softish". Not so great for a large project that i tried once with it. Also doesn't do well where weeds and grass is present. Tends to bind in the blades, but if it's just dirt it's a great attachment. I have the pole saw, edger and brush cutter too lol.

Ill be grabbing those as I need them too, starting with the hedge trimmer. Im getting the Stihl Kombi motor, im sick of buying a $100 trimmer every other year. The last one was a Troy Bilt last year that wont start. POS

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ill be grabbing those as I need them too, starting with the hedge trimmer. Im getting the Stihl Kombi motor, im sick of buying a $100 trimmer every other year. The last one was a Troy Bilt last year that wont start. POS

hmm. mine is going on 12 years now and I've never changed a part on it. Stabilize the fuel in the winter and shake out the air filter here and there.I think I'm still on the original plug even. Starts right up and runs well.

i've put attactments on cheaper line trimmers before and haven't had the best luck.  work them to hard for the power and sometimes i've had the drive shaft twist to the point it eventually breaks.  then it's special order.  

i currently have a cheap $90 weed eater that i use.  i've had it for several years now.  waiting for it to die and then i'll upgrade to a much nicer one made for attachements.  i always have ran 91 non-ethanol with stabilizer in it and at a 40:1 premix.  runs great still.

I am sorry that I did not put in any sweet corn this year, now that I see how good the field corn is doing.  With a complete loss of my sweet corn crop last season, from the worst summer drought ever, and with a few other big projects going on this year, I did not have the desire or time to put any in.  The few squash, cucumber, and tomato plants that I have up near the house are doing very well however.  It should not be too long before we start seeing a little bit of fresh produce.    

Garden has been growing well. The usual suspects have started to ripen. Squash, cucumber, pepper and basil are ripening well as well as some tomatoes starting already. Raspberries have been ripening for a couple weeks so I'm on the tail end of the harvest for that. I got a nice surprise just now and picked the first figs of the season. The biggest one is about 4" across, which is normal for purple figs in early summer. The other pics are my grandparents garden, but for the next 2 months I am the only one taking care of it...and it's a lot of work.

IMG_5562.thumb.PNG.59a2c25a90daeda42c122IMG_5561.thumb.PNG.0fd3fe6678bfa39d1bb0dIMG_5560.thumb.PNG.de6c13f0e8a128acb7390IMG_5559.thumb.JPG.da5784b966800412d385aIMG_5558.thumb.JPG.a584c1f609e300a6fe387IMG_5555.thumb.JPG.8d2ecf1967511c4becab0
IMG_5546.thumb.JPG.57811fa6775ce4972da91IMG_5547.thumb.JPG.74d7feb70124615f313eb
IMG_5548.thumb.JPG.7e7e61b04dbf81209a08e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Garden has been growing well. The usual suspects have started to ripen. Squash, cucumber, pepper and basil are ripening well as well as some tomatoes starting already. Raspberries have been ripening for a couple weeks so I'm on the tail end of the harvest for that. I got a nice surprise just now and picked the first figs of the season. The biggest one is about 4" across, which is normal for purple figs in early summer. The other pics are my grandparents garden, but for the next 2 months I am the only one taking care of it...and it's a lot of work.

IMG_5562.PNGIMG_5561.PNGIMG_5560.PNGIMG_5559.JPGIMG_5558.JPGIMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5546.JPGIMG_5547.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG

dang, when did you start?

dang, when did you start?

Depends on the year, buys usually I'll start in may. The tomatoes in my yard grow later because I let them germinate from the seeds left at the end of the previous growing season, but my grandparents always start from already started plants so theirs are always bigger at this point in the season.

That looks like a little old Italian mans garden..lol great stuff right there...wish I could grow figs...

Where I come from is right across the Adriatic Sea from Italy so we tend to all do our gardens looking the same. I've seen fig trees in southern tier of ulster county. What you have to do is wrap them in insulation and then cover that in a black garbage bag. That should protect it well enough to have it survive the winter. Never tried it that far up in NY though.

Depends on the year, buys usually I'll start in may. The tomatoes in my yard grow later because I let them germinate from the seeds left at the end of the previous growing season, but my grandparents always start from already started plants so theirs are always bigger at this point in the season.

That makes me feel better haha
  • Like 1

It's growing like crap,, way too wet and only. Been in 3 weeks but tomatoes, potatoes, and beens are doing ok. Did side dress the corn last week but it's still weak looking. Might just put up a gone to Wegmans sign.

What's even worse is have not been able to cut a blade of hay here so I've had to haul hay from my farm in pa.
0d9be331ea1dd39cddb2f505c51f386e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reeltime said:

It's growing like crap,, way too wet and only. Been in 3 weeks but tomatoes, potatoes, and beens are doing ok. Did side dress the corn last week but it's still weak looking. Might just put up a gone to Wegmans sign.

What's even worse is have not been able to cut a blade of hay here so I've had to haul hay from my farm in pa.
0d9be331ea1dd39cddb2f505c51f386e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

nice setup. no fence?

Quote: "Hows your garden doing?..."

This year, I am expecting a good crop of cattails. I can't get enough good days together to even get the tiller out there. And walking around trying to hand-weed winds up with some ugly soil compaction that turns every place I step into cement. And you watch......before the summer is done, we will be deep into a drought ...... lol. Plants look crappy. Most of the seeds never came up so I re-planted them and no sign of germination yet, but I have my fingers crossed. We might get beets and carrots and radishes. I had a thought of not even putting in a garden this year when I couldn't even get the thing tilled. I think I should have followed those instincts ..... But I am stubborn.