The Psychology Behind the Quest For Trophy Racks

Doc

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Do you age your deer yourself or take the haws somewhere?

Have in a couple guys from the Dec in camp, we will have the jaw of the bigger ones taken in. Also check some of the smaller ones that look like they have age on them. Smaller ones are just a guess from tooth wear. Sometimes our guesses very so much that we have it taken in just to see who is right.  We had a spike taken a few years back that looked older then dirt and had really fat 10 inch spikes. He turned out to be if iirc  6.5. We had never seen this buck before and figured he was just wondering through but he could have just been elusive that we just never knew he was around.

• Like 1

According to your last post, it seems as if you like to have disagreements and you think your correct when you can admit your guessing.

I think it's safe to ASSume that when you guess about why some trophy hunt, you could be wrong....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

stubby, Did you save the racks ?

They are kicking around some where. My father likes to mount a few over the winter for something to do so he has saved and done a couple. Most are used for knife handles or handles on cupboards. Or what ever dad feels the need to use them for. I have used pieces for handles on mugs I make. Anything my dad mounts up is either hanging in his house, his she'd or the hunting cabin.

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

According to your last post, it seems as if you like to have disagreements and you think your correct when you can admit your guessing.

I think it's safe to ASSume that when you guess about why some trophy hunt, you could be wrong....

I am wrong alot. Noone is correct all the time. I don't like to have disagreements  but I will not run away from one either. 

I could be wrong about trophy hunters however if you actually read what the trophy hunters here said in their post throughout this thread you will come to the conclusion that I was quite accurate in my assumptions. I said it was for bragging rights. For the congrats it brings. How many times has it been stated by trophy hunters that the trophy hunters are better hunters more dedicated they are the most skilled. Tell me you didn't read some of the posts and picture the guy standing tall pounding his chest screaming look what I have.

There have been many posts in here that say the exact things the anti say. They say we are all about the glory of the rack . Wasn't it said by a trophy hunter that it is a primeval thing that shows strength and social standing. All that sounds pretty close to what I and the few others said it was about. So yes not being a trophy hunter makes my thoughts as to why others are nothing but a guess. But many a post in this thread has shown it to be a pretty accurate on. 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

Ok, there is the answer that I was hoping I would never see on this thread. I have heard many anti-hunters mocking us as being motivated to kill animals to prove our manhood because of some assumed deficiency in that department. Honestly, I have never had that as a motivator to take up hunting or glean satisfaction from matching wits with nature's wild creatures. Damn! I hope that kind of thinking never creeps into my needs for hunting. For one thing, I find it insulting, and for another thing if that ever turned out to be true, that would make some of those arrogant, worthless, loud-mouthed antis correct in there taunting assumptions. Say it isn't so!

For me the competition has always been between me and the deer that I am hunting. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I don't have to keep score to see if I am winning or not. I don't have to assign numbers to impress anyone. And I am not after any peer recognition. But most of all, I have never had to resort to some deer's antlers to prove my strength, worth, manhood, or any other personal attribute.

I think you took my comment wrong. I've stated umpteen times that i hunt for food first, woods therapy second and racks last. And what I mean by that is I will make sure my freezer is full but also that i do try and pass smaller bucks and i typically wait for gun to start shooting flatheads.

So I'm in the woods hunting regardless. My point about "proving oneself to others" comes from the fact that if you're already a hunter (see caveman analogy), one way to show how good you are to others is to harvest the biggest baddest racks.  I never said this is why someone should hunt, that this is why I hunt or that it is the source of hunting. But you'd be in denial if you didn't believe a great many hunters of any era know that killing the most mature buck, biggest bear or tom with the longest beard  in the woods will gain them some admiration from their peers in addition to all the other reasons they hunt. Heck, it may have even made them chief in some Indian village. 

We're all guilty even on this forum when we argue over stuff. We tend to take the advice and side of the hunters who routinely see success over those who don't.

Would you rather learn how to cook from a master chef or a 12 year old boy?

• Like 1

If you strip away most of the BS from guys on this thread, no matter what side they claim to be on, they are just hunters. Some may have more experience and some may have better land to hunt or are just plain full of it, that doesn't make them better or worse than the next guy. And who cares about your opinion of your own hunting prowess or how you rate other hunters.

None of that really matters.

• Like 3

Well a woman's perspective as to why men display this need or drive is.............never mind ^_^

Way back on page one. I laughed when I said the above. So many pages later and the repeated comments by quite a few shows how right I was and how sad that is....Many of you are well... what I call young pups and you grew up in way different times and sadly with different role models and teachers. Apparently way too many "Real ,TV hunters". I grew up with a grandfather and grandmother that were both avid hunters(every thing) trappers, anglers. I grew up in a community of hunters, there wasn't a kid in the neighbor hood that didn't squirrel hunt. It was never about the biggest baddest and yes there were no doe tags and only party permits when I got married in 79. It was the actual experience and effort that was put into hunting that made great hunters. It was the respect that each hunter gave one another. There is OBVIOUSLY no respect in hunting today and also Obviously false congratulations given during season by many...I now have more respect for those that refrain from congratulating anyone or few,at least they show honesty. This has clearly shown me why people have posted up all the lands and look down at hunters. I now see why so many are leaving hunting and why the tradition of hunting camps has fallen away.

Every single year and several times a year this and other sites manage to throw out pages and pages and pages of such BS, that puts a dark shroud over all hunters in general. Even I think about donating to anti hunting groups, nice job... I see this head line in the future: The internet, how hunting was defeated.:mda:

17 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I still don't understand why there is those who meat hunt ( no offense or judgment ) voicing their opinion on why they think they know the psychology behind the rack hunter. Maybe we should explore the psychology behind those that think they know the psychology of others. If your a meat hunter, and you want to fill your freezer and punch tags and that's it, you CANNOT understand those that are after "racks" "trophy" "mature" deer. Why makes assumptions on the way some hunt if you have never walked a mile in their boots. Whereas some "trophy" hunters are also meat hunters. Point being, the OP and this whole thread could have been informative as to the actual OP, if those that understand or are after the quest for trophy racks could have been able to answer without arguement or disagreements as to who what and why.

this is well said, but there's a very small minority in this country that do have an open mind and understanding of those different than them. It's not easy to do though. We are all very well rooted in our upbringing, values and tradition. Now all you have to do is view the posts about muslims by a certain member on this forum to see the opposite. And that's the close minded, i refuse to even try to see your side of the story that has really corrupted much of this great country and halted a lot of good dialogue and progress. I'm not a poor single black woman with 3 kids to feed. I can't relate. But the best thing i can do when discussing issues pertaining to one is to at least "try" and see it from their eyes. I know we all would appreciate if the anti-hunter would do the same. 

16 hours ago, stubby68 said:

9N and 9H have had doe tags as loans as I have been hunting. Also those are not the only places I have hunted.  Add the deer I killed when I bow hunted plus the ones with gun those years. I have gotten two doe tags on first draw every year sence they started the computerized system. Plus two from the free second chance. Not always in 9N ,or 9 H but as I have said they are not the only places I hunt. Plus muzzy tags plus sign over tags. Not really hard to add up 200 or more in 35 years. I could add in all the ones I killed when hunting with nusences tags , that would be a big number.

your harvest number is not the problem. Your claim to have never wounded, gut shot or had to recover a deer over 100 yards that is not believable. You have crusaded against the trophy hunter in this thread and others and in the process made yourself out to be Daniel Boon and Davy Crockett's mentor. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, growalot said:

Way back on page one. I laughed when I said the above. So many pages later and the repeated comments by quite a few shows how right I was and how sad that is....Many of you are well... what I call young pups and you grew up in way different times and sadly with different role models and teachers. Apparently way too many "Real ,TV hunters". I grew up with a grandfather and grandmother that were both avid hunters(every thing) trappers, anglers. I grew up in a community of hunters, there wasn't a kid in the neighbor hood that didn't squirrel hunt. It was never about the biggest baddest and yes there were no doe tags and only party permits when I got married in 79. It was the actual experience and effort that was put into hunting that made great hunters. It was the respect that each hunter gave one another. There is OBVIOUSLY no respect in hunting today and also Obviously false congratulations given during season by many...I now have more respect for those that refrain from congratulating anyone or few,at least they show honesty. This has clearly shown me why people have posted up all the lands and look down at hunters. I now see why so many are leaving hunting and why the tradition of hunting camps has fallen away.

Every single year and several times a year this and other sites manage to throw out pages and pages and pages of such BS, that puts a dark shroud over all hunters in general. Even I think about donating to anti hunting groups, nice job... I see this head line in the future: The internet, how hunting was defeated.:mda:

you make some very good points in this thread. As a "young pup" though I struggle with your generalization that it's an age thing. See Moog's thread about what started you hunting. Many of us were taught by our fathers, grandfathers and uncles. The only hunting show I watch is meateater. We didn't even have cable till i was 17. My desire to shoot a big buck doesn't come from TV and also doesn't mean I have a lack of respect when attempting to do so. I've ate every ounce of every animal I've shot, and that includes trying a few squirrels lol. 

People have been after large horns for a long time, it's just more in your face now with the advent of social media. yes, the pastime has lost some of its lore and competition is more fierce. But please don't generalize based on age. Guys have been jacking deer way before the 70's too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

your harvest number is not the problem. Your claim to have never wounded, gut shot or had to recover a deer over 100 yards that is not believable. You have crusaded against the trophy hunter in this thread and others and in the process made yourself out to be Daniel Boon and Davy Crockett's mentor. 

I never made myself out to be anything. I can shoot big deal. I make sure every shot counts. When I was younger I shot many deer multiple times before I killed them. Never had a gut shot but man I put holes in them. Then I grew up and decided a quick clean kill was what the animal deserved. I do not get excited or nervous when the time comes to pull the trigger so I am always able to make a good shot. Stay calm and aim and it all falls into place. None of this makes me more then a good shot. Nothing more nothing less. There plenty of guys who shoot far better then I do. However no matter how good a shot you are if you get nervous or excited odds are your shot will be off.

39 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

I never made myself out to be anything. I can shoot big deal. I make sure every shot counts. When I was younger I shot many deer multiple times before I killed them. Never had a gut shot but man I put holes in them. Then I grew up and decided a quick clean kill was what the animal deserved. I do not get excited or nervous when the time comes to pull the trigger so I am always able to make a good shot. Stay calm and aim and it all falls into place. None of this makes me more then a good shot. Nothing more nothing less. There plenty of guys who shoot far better then I do. However no matter how good a shot you are if you get nervous or excited odds are your shot will be off.

I guess for me that "excitement" is what keeps me coming back.  Nothing like the rush of seeing that buck you have been playing tag with all season coming down the trial like you thought and hoped he would. My wife use to ask me, while we were driving and I'm shouting out "look at the deer" , "Why do you get so excited seeing them"? My response always is, when I stop gettign excited to see them is when I stop hunting. I like having to try and calm myself to make the shot. Buck fever? hell no!! I get excited even when shooting at a doe. lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I guess for me that "excitement" is what keeps me coming back.  Nothing like the rush of seeing that buck you have been playing tag with all season coming down the trial like you thought and hoped he would. My wife use to ask me, while we were driving and I'n shouting out "look at the deer" , "Why do you get so excited seeing them"? My response always is, when I stop gettign excited to see them is when I stop hunting. I like having to try and calm myself to make the shot. Buck fever? hell no!! I get excited even when shooting at a doe. lol

For me they are food nothing more. I have never gotten excited about them not even on my first. No more exciting then going to store and buying steak. I am happy for you that you get excited. For me it is a useless emotion that get in the way.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Gonna somewhat disagree with ya on this grow. 

We are around the same age. I too remember the party permits and the hunting with friends and family. Also being in the woods from a very early age. How everyone was happy for anyone getting a deer, as there were not as many deer running around in the early to mid 70's. 

Yes hunting as well as everything else has changed greatly in the last 40+ years. But nothing stays the same. It's all in how one adjusts to the changes, to be able to keep the old perspective, and at the same time keep up with the changes in hunting or anything else . Time was, and is, still very valuable to us all. And these days so many things vie for our time and attention. So, most anyone making time to hunt, do so because in one form or another it fills a void or enhance's a lifestyle, certain people want in their lives. Some may do it for the antlers. Some for the meat. Or others just to fill a need to be closer to the natural world. Perhaps a combination of many things. There are almost as many reasons why we hunt, as there are hunters! I don't see this as a bad thing for hunting. As long as there is the passion to 'keep on hunting'. I try not to concern myself if others don't hunt the same as I do, or have a vastly different attitude, on how they go about getting 'their' deer or what deer 'they' decide to hunt. I will ALWAYS give a "heartfelt" congratulations on this forum, and especially to hunters I meet eye to eye, on any deer no matter what it is! And the same "heartfelt" level goes for a doe fawn or a monster buck! Because it was taken legally, by a HUNTER! And it does seem, the overwhelming number of hunters, give a hearty congratulations to other successful hunters, even if the deer is not what they would choose to shoot themselves. Of course you will always have a few buttheads. Just as in every other group. But overall, I'd like to think that most all hunters have respect for the game we hunt. Probably more so than we have for each other it does seem at times.

I too, see what may be way too much bickering and infighting among'st our ranks as hunters. In this day and age, it's so easy to express your opinion via social media and remain somewhat anonymous. But most of these feelings were still held back in the day! Just not as widely viewed as today. I really don't think hunting is headed to hell in a hand basket!

Last year I sat through the NYS Hunter Safety courses with my grandson for bow and firearms. Looking at the many young faces, and hearing their questions and the excitement in their voices, the look on their faces during demonstrations. How they all tried hard to fit in, and do well with the instructors on the field exercises. I came to see that these kids are really no different than I was back in 1973. They just want to become hunters. Nothing wrong with that! They will all find their own way, just like me. And from what I see hunting has a bright future! If we can all just quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and just hunt!!!

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

We are around the same age. I too remember the party permits and the hunting with friends and family. Also being in the woods from a very early age. How everyone was happy for anyone getting a deer, as there were not as many deer running around in the early to mid 70's. 

Yes hunting as well as everything else has changed greatly in the last 40+ years. But nothing stays the same. It's all in how one adjusts to the changes, to be able to keep the old perspective, and at the same time keep up with the changes in hunting or anything else . Time was, and is, still very valuable to us all. And these days so many things vie for our time and attention. So, most anyone making time to hunt, do so because in one form or another it fills a void or enhance's a lifestyle, certain people want in their lives. Some may do it for the antlers. Some for the meat. Or others just to fill a need to be closer to the natural world. Perhaps a combination of many things. There are almost as many reasons why we hunt, as there are hunters! I don't see this as a bad thing for hunting. As long as there is the passion to 'keep on hunting'. I try not to concern myself if others don't hunt the same as I do, or have a vastly different attitude, on how they go about getting 'their' deer or what deer 'they' decide to hunt. I will ALWAYS give a "heartfelt" congratulations on this forum, and especially to hunters I meet eye to eye, on any deer no matter what it is! And the same "heartfelt" level goes for a doe fawn or a monster buck! Because it was taken legally, by a HUNTER! And it does seem, the overwhelming number of hunters, give a hearty congratulations to other successful hunters, even if the deer is not what they would choose to shoot themselves. Of course you will always have a few buttheads. Just as in every other group. But overall, I'd like to think that most all hunters have respect for the game we hunt. Probably more so than we have for each other it does seem at times.

I too, see what may be way too much bickering and infighting among'st our ranks as hunters. In this day and age, it's so easy to express your opinion via social media and remain somewhat anonymous. But most of these feelings were still held back in the day! Just not as widely viewed as today. I really don't think hunting is headed to hell in a hand basket!

Last year I sat through the NYS Hunter Safety courses with my grandson for bow and firearms. Looking at the many young faces, and hearing their questions and the excitement in their voices, the look on their faces during demonstrations. How they all tried hard to fit in, and do well with the instructors on the field exercises. I came to see that these kids are really no different than I was back in 1973. They just want to become hunters. Nothing wrong with that! They will all find their own way, just like me. And from what I see hunting has a bright future! If we can all just quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and just hunt!!!

I have got to buy you a beer for that post. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Belo said:

........My point about "proving oneself to others" comes from the fact that if you're already a hunter (see caveman analogy), one way to show how good you are to others is to harvest the biggest baddest racks.  I never said this is why someone should hunt, that this is why I hunt or that it is the source of hunting ..........

Is it important to you to "show how good you are to others"? I'm not saying that is right or wrong, I am just asking the question. I'm trying to think if that was ever an important motivator in my hunting, and I do think there was a time when the impression that I made on others was important to me. It has been so many years since I even thought that way, that I guess I had forgotten that there was a time when I actually gave a damn about what people thought about my hunting achievements. It's not a part of me anymore, and I suppose that is why I have a hard time getting into this trophy mentality anymore. I no longer measure my successes by what other people think about my hunting results. It just doesn't mean anything to me. I think I was in my early 50's when my attitudes started changing and my successes were no longer dependent on what anyone else thought of the deer I shot or the rabbits or squirrels or fish that I got, or any other achievements that I accomplished in my outdoor activities. That just isn't a factor in my hunting anymore. I do think that my enjoyment of hunting has increased since I adopted this attitude that my hunting is done for me and me only.

Edited by Doc

21 hours ago, TreeGuy said:
22 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I second that Motion .... owe ya a beer Grampy !

Yeah no doubt!  Some think we are all young pups! Lol  Some of us have evolved in our hunting career and matured to the point of only finding the top of the line to be of any kind of challenge any longer   We still shoot deer for our freezers but just not baby deer    We have done about everything in this sport that can be done as far as harvests are concerned   Any deer is no longer an issue to shoot and like the stub says it's no big deal to go shoot something in areas where there are 1000's of them   But to pick out just 1 or 2 out of those 1000's which happen to also be the oldest and the smartest and go take one on their turf and terms!    Now that's hunting!  Not Shooting!

2 hours ago, stubby68 said:

For me they are food nothing more. I have never gotten excited about them not even on my first. No more exciting then going to store and buying steak. I am happy for you that you get excited. For me it is a useless emotion that get in the way.

you do know that taking a life without any feeling  whatsoever is the definition of a psychopath right? You don't have to cry and morn the loss of your food, but to not feel a thing when ending the life of such a beautiful creature is literally insane.

I think deer hunters respect deer more than anyhow. I know I do.

• Like 2

Well grampy that was a great reply and I appreciate the civility and gracious manner in which you expressed your thoughts.

Culver, your no different then most of us Nothing wrong with going after big bucks ,enjoying watching and seeing them  I think we both know what the problem is with some proclaimed trophy hunters and how many times did we have to read the problem with them. It's not their pursuit, it's their verbal disrespect towards other hunters they do not consider trophy hunters. BTW  grampy that is a reference to why I mentioned the congratulations ..One only needs to read about any one of the 11 pages here to see that..OH just look above this post. See I have respect for any hunter that puts in the time and kills a deer to their personal liking...I do not need to say "oh a just a spike, or call guys that shoots 1 1/2 year old basket 8's baby killers.How many guys on here that read these threads have posted fawns and spikes and 4's,5's, 6's and small 8's... Want to look at last years harvests? How do you think they feel about their fellow hunters when they hear the crap that has been flung by more than a few here? Walk away and come back to read this thread. Just because times change doesn't mean that all things should change with the times. respect is one of them. Now it wouldn't bother me but it was said  theirs always a few buttheads...correct you are but this thread had more than a few and they were condoned by many more than a few.. 

calm down Belo you posted before I had a chance to...just anticipating..

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is it important to you to "show how good you are to others"? I'm not saying that is right or wrong, I am just asking the question. I'm trying to think if that was ever an important motivator in my hunting, and I do think there was a time when the impression that I made on others was important to me. It has been so many years since I even thought that way, that I guess I had forgotten that there was a time when I actually gave a damn about what people thought about my hunting achievements. It's not a part of me anymore, and I suppose that is why I have a hard time getting into this trophy mentality anymore. I no longer measure my successes by what other people think about my hunting results. It just doesn't mean anything to me. I think I was in my early 50's when my attitudes started changing and my successes were no longer dependent on what anyone else thought of the deer I shot or the rabbits or squirrels or fish that I got, or any other achievements that I accomplished in my outdoor activities. That just isn't a factor in my hunting anymore. I do think that my enjoyment of hunting has increased since I adopted this attitude that my hunting is done for me and me only.

I'd be lying if i told you it had no importance. I'm raised in a very hunting rich family. At family gatherings hunting is always the subject. All family members are supportive. We educate and help. Sure we have a twinge of jealousy at anothers success. Some uncles still shoot a 3 pointer when he walks buy, others will only shoot a mounter. It's low on my list of why I would want to shoot a nice buck. The main reason I want to shoot a nice buck is the gratification i feel myself. The reward for the effort. But to say it doesn't mean something to get a big ole congratulation bear hug from my dad? Or tons of questions about the buck and a table full of ole beer drinking grizzly deer hunting vets clinging on my every word of the story? That would be a lie. We all do it, whether we admit it or not. It's part of "deer camp".

I still do not care what others think. I didn't care when friendly ball busting 2 years ago on opening day for shooting a small doe and her mom within 15 seconds of each other. But I do enjoy the feelings of success being shared with others. Does that work?

I want to add one more thought here. I've told this story before. But here it goes.

Before moving back to NY last year I had moved down to northern Mississippi with my wife and at the time 1 son. We knew nobody. I knew nothing about ms deer hunting. I was forced to hunt public land with a climber. my whole hunting life had been hang ons that were strategically placed using decades of knowledge from hunting the family land. You were almost guaranteed a deer every sit.

I prepped, scouted and hunted all on my own. No help from dad or anyone else. I had no success the first 3 months in the woods.

When I finally had a shot at a doe during early MZ season I took it. She was an average MS doe but small for NY. It was probably the most satisfied, happy and elated i have ever been. I took it home and skinned and butchered it myself in my garage using the hoist i installed myself. I had never processed a deer, we always used local butchers in NY. There were none in my new town. Educated myself and bought the tools, a grinder and vac sealer and did it all from start to finish. By far the best trophy I have ever had. And just 2 weeks later i shot a nice 9 not far from where I shot the doe by tracking some fresh scrapes. Still value the doe over the 9 whose european mount is on my den wall.

001.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

Post of the year! You could change out a few words and this same post would be spot on for many other topics today. Everything is changing most not for the better.

Shoot what makes you happy as long as it's legal, don't worry about the guy next door shooting next years trophy or too many does etc.

To the original question I shoot big bucks only because it's what gets me excited. I ride a 1000cc sport bike that will do any speed limit in 1st gear because it makes me excited. Thankfully we live in a mostly free country and are allowed to do what we want for the most part.

Is it October yet I think we are all getting a little stir crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I wonder how much social media and the decline of the traditional hunting camps have on topics like this? The person to person interaction and the social interdependent nature of the hunting camps VS the posting pictures for "likes" from folks that are barely known. I see more and more hunters that take on the sport as a solo event or with one close buddy. I know growing up and hunting with our party of 8-10 guys there was always a good spirited competition on who got the bigger or most (insert animal in season here). It wasn't a life or death competition but it was for bragging rights until you were dethroned.