Whats up with the acorns....

My walk today uncovered a bit of a problem...the ground under several areas of my oaks blanketed in acorns the size of ...hhhmmm malted milk balls....I had a massive crop last year so I was a bit surprised at the amount on the ground...but why on the ground? Thought?...Observations?....

I have seen a similar thing with hickory nuts. Dropping early and real small. I have seen it before, and have never heard a reason for it. Maybe the soaking spring and summer that we have been having?

I figured it has been all this rain...and the squirrels...they chew off whole branch ends then gather them up..they have been chewed on..but many drpped free of their caps..as long as its acorns and not leafs...the helicopters have been flying low and slow over the hills. I read that around areas that have had blight theyvwould be doing aerial surveys to spot oaks dropping leafs around August. We are not that far from Canadaqua. Its to early for the pit searches,if they even do those anymore. 

12 hours ago, growalot said:

I figured it has been all this rain...and the squirrels...they chew off whole branch ends then gather them up..they have been chewed on..but many drpped free of their caps..as long as its acorns and not leafs...the helicopters have been flying low and slow over the hills. I read that around areas that have had blight theyvwould be doing aerial surveys to spot oaks dropping leafs around August. We are not that far from Canadaqua. Its to early for the pit searches,if they even do those anymore. 

With the way the weather has been the trees can not get the nutrients they need to produce and keep tree healthy. They will drop the seed so the rest of the tree has what it needs to survive. As long as the leaves are not dropping it's all good.

This seems to be an area wide drop because I checked out a few other spots just now... It's disheartening to see the ground covered like that...might mean with these reds  may have a lean few years ahead...we'll see They are feeding something. I  crushed one and it was solid meat inside...didn't even notice the usual worms. The pic is from me taking one handful up off a spot.

20170727_130507_resized.jpg