Dacks Bear trip

Robhuntandfish

going up to Indian lake area for the early bear season for a weekend.  Mostly because its a chance to hunt before bow opens. But have always wanted to get a bear in NY just once.  We are planning on fishing too every morn but then bear hunt in the afternoons.  Any tips on how to find a bear?   been up there before and have seen some sign but no luck.  or anywhere else in NY that might be a good place to get my one NY bear?  I think most people get them by running into them during deer season, but there must be an early bear season for a reason? 

• Like 1

Stop at the dumps just before Indian lake, they are everywhere!  If you can get access to bear trap swamp that is a good area with some decent population.  Just getting access is the issue.  The hunting club in that area puts some presser on those woods but I always saw some bear and sign all over the place when I did hunt that spot.  Good luck!

• Like 1

thanks , will check it out.  I have some family in Indian lake so maybe will ask them about access there.  Also eyeing the Lewis county area to try out as I see a lot of bears come out of there and am familiar with that area too. Have never seen a bear while hunting anywhere, have seen some cross the road in the adirondacks and seen a couple in lewis county in summer.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:45 PM, NFA-ADK said:

Stop at the dumps just before Indian lake, they are everywhere!  If you can get access to bear trap swamp that is a good area with some decent population.  Just getting access is the issue.  The hunting club in that area puts some presser on those woods but I always saw some bear and sign all over the place when I did hunt that spot.  Good luck!

Are you talking about the transfer station at Indian Lake?  I've been there before but I haven't noticed a whole lot of bear sign.  They generally keep most of the trash and recyclables pretty well segregated and confined in certain areas, don't they?  The land around that station is either private or owned by the town, so I don't know the technicalities involved in hunting there.

As for the OP's question, it's tough hunting up there in the ADK's, especially for bear.  The DEC estimates that 50%-60% of NY's 6k-8k bear population is up there, but the area is so damn big and the food sources are so spread out that it's tough to find animals, especially those like bears which have a relatively big range.  I spent some time up there during the early bear season last year; no luck on my part.  The best advice I've heard is to stake out food sources (berries, mast crops) or look for fresh tracks in the snow.  I'm beginning to see the wisdom of snow tracking (when it's feasible) because I've spent many a day stand hunting over food sources up there where I haven't seen a single animal (deer or bear).  The animals have a lot of different ways to move up there, so there is always the chance that you might not see anything, even if you spend a lot of time scouting.

Honestly, if you're hell bent on getting a bear, it sounds like the Southern Zone (especially the Catskills and area surrounding the Allegheny State Park) give you much better odds of success.  The harvest #'s in the Sourthern Zone have been at around 1k-1.1k over the last few years (that's huge increase from the harvest #'s 10-15 years back), while the harvest has remained relatively flat at ~500 in the Northern Zone.

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

I have hunted a bunch of different areas in the ADK's and by far the highest bear population I have saw was around tupper lake and cranberry lake. On a September fishing/camping trip to cranberry 2 years ago I bet we saw over a dozen bears on the shore while fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transfer station is actually in North Creek, bear signs all over, just be careful you don't run one over.  

15 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Are you talking about the transfer station at Indian Lake?  I've been there before but I haven't noticed a whole lot of bear sign.  They generally keep most of the trash and recyclables pretty well segregated and confined in certain areas, don't they?  The land around that station is either private or owned by the town, so I don't know the technicalities involved in hunting there.

As for the OP's question, it's tough hunting up there in the ADK's, especially for bear.  The DEC estimates that 50%-60% of NY's 6k-8k bear population is up there, but the area is so damn big and the food sources are so spread out that it's tough to find animals, especially those like bears which have a relatively big range.  I spent some time up there during the early bear season last year; no luck on my part.  The best advice I've heard is to stake out food sources (berries, mast crops) or look for fresh tracks in the snow.  I'm beginning to see the wisdom of snow tracking (when it's feasible) because I've spent many a day stand hunting over food sources up there where I haven't seen a single animal (deer or bear).  The animals have a lot of different ways to move up there, so there is always the chance that you might not see anything, even if you spend a lot of time scouting.

Honestly, if you're hell bent on getting a bear, it sounds like the Southern Zone (especially the Catskills and area surrounding the Allegheny State Park) give you much better odds of success.  The harvest #'s in the Sourthern Zone have been at around 1k-1.1k over the last few years (that's huge increase from the harvest #'s 10-15 years back), while the harvest has remained relatively flat at ~500 in the Northern Zone.

I am familiar with that area up there. I would get on Google earth and the DEC interactive map. I'd start my search there and look at the beaver flows and meadows that are to the east side of the lake. There are several between Indian Lake and Siamese ponds. These areas open the canopy to allow fresh growth, provide soft ground to look for tracks and are frequented because bears LOVE beaver.  It is a LONG was between roads up there. use caution and be careful. If you think draggin a deer out of an area is tough it doesn't even come close to how difficult moving a bear is. 

What ever you decide to do good luck, just put a lot of thought into how you plan to get the bear out of the woods. Having shot 2 bear in my life "one with bow and one with rifle" I can honestly say that for me to shoot another bear it would either have to already be in the bed of my truck or have one of my limbs in its mouth. My gun bear was shot in the ADKS and it took 5 us a day and a half to drag it a mile and a half. And that was 5 guys who were all under 25 and all in very good shape. The meat in my opinion sucks, I'm sure some will argue but in my opinion it's terrible. The rugs are expensive but cool. I do go up to my tent camp during early bear and I carry a gun but I'm just scouting with absolutely no intentions of shooting one.

• Like 1

thanks all.  Am definiitley eyeing that siamese ponds area as I will be staying right near there.  Was just hoping to get that one NY bear in my lifetime.  I am gonna try Lewis county area I think the first weekend of early bear then am spending 3 days in the indian lake area to try it out and do some fishing.  Where I deer hunt there are zero bears so not going to run across any there in Central NY.  

"Where I deer hunt there are zero bears so not going to run across any there in Central NY.   "

Don't be so positive about that! You can't hunt them here but there was a picture of one last year right outside of my little town here in CNY.

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What ever you decide to do good luck, just put a lot of thought into how you plan to get the bear out of the woods. Having shot 2 bear in my life "one with bow and one with rifle" I can honestly say that for me to shoot another bear it would either have to already be in the bed of my truck or have one of my limbs in its mouth. My gun bear was shot in the ADKS and it took 5 us a day and a half to drag it a mile and a half. And that was 5 guys who were all under 25 and all in very good shape. The meat in my opinion sucks, I'm sure some will argue but in my opinion it's terrible. The rugs are expensive but cool. I do go up to my tent camp during early bear and I carry a gun but I'm just scouting with absolutely no intentions of shooting one.

X2 on what Buckmaster7600  said . 40 years ago my next door nieghbor and I went deer hunting in the lower Catskills , he shot a black bear around 300 pounds down in an old quarry , we were in our late 20's and both in good shape . he gutted it and we tied its legs to a small tree trunk and 2 hours later got it back to the truck which was only 150 yards away. that night I swore I would never shoot one. I have seen many threw the years from 200 to 600 pounds and let hem all pass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thanks all.  Am definiitley eyeing that siamese ponds area as I will be staying right near there.  Was just hoping to get that one NY bear in my lifetime.  I am gonna try Lewis county area I think the first weekend of early bear then am spending 3 days in the indian lake area to try it out and do some fishing.  Where I deer hunt there are zero bears so not going to run across any there in Central NY.  

Where in CNY are you that you think there aren't any bear?

I hunt on a lease outside of Canastota (madison county) and also hunt in augusta (oneida county/ madison county border).  They just opened bear hunting last year in madison county for the first time in years and if there is a bear or two in the area now its a sure rarity.  There was one this spring that was seen and it was a big deal in the paper etc.  

there might be some/few around but just not really a huntable amount.  But def looking into Lewis county some more.  Seems like good numbers up there to at least have a chance. 

Without being able to bait def need to get where there are at least a good population to start with.  Not real familiar with the catskills area.  A buddy of mine in Owego has had them in his back yard - but also he has a limited area to hunt and is a big time bowhunter and me stomping around just before season for a bear prob aint the best idea. 

Lewis county is looking pretty good and am thinking about the area between Brantiham and Chase lake.  Near Otter creek , but off the horse trails.  Maybe near power lines and berries or apples.  Should be interesting at least.  

My mission is one NY bear !  

6 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

The transfer station is actually in North Creek, bear signs all over, just be careful you don't run one over.  

To be clear though, you're talking about the dump station on Chain Lakes Rd. (the one that runs along Indian River, past the old Gooley Club house)?

OP, I hear a lot about bear interactions in the big population centers up there (Old Forge, Indian Lake, Placid) which makes sense because that's where most of the people are and that's where bear will congregate if trash and rubbish is left out.  I'd always thought the dump stations were pretty strict about safeguarding the trash and recyclables stored there, but I haven't spent too much time looking over the area.  I definitely could see the value in finding state land which might lead into the more populated areas, because I'm sure there are some bear who visit the towns from time to time.  Looking for bear in the middle of the deep woods is hit or miss (all misses for me).  I've found bear sign and bear food during some seasons, but the bear have always been absent.  I'm sure there are plenty of bear hunters up there who have more knowledge than I on this topic.   But based on my own experiences, and those recounted by others, it seems that ADK bear hunting is quite tough and success is hard to come by.  

Keep us posted though, and good luck out there!

Edited by Padre86

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

there might be some/few around but just not really a huntable amount.  But def looking into Lewis county some more.  Seems like good numbers up there to at least have a chance. 

Without being able to bait def need to get where there are at least a good population to start with.  Not real familiar with the catskills area.  A buddy of mine in Owego has had them in his back yard - but also he has a limited area to hunt and is a big time bowhunter and me stomping around just before season for a bear prob aint the best idea. 

Lewis county is looking pretty good and am thinking about the area between Brantiham and Chase lake.  Near Otter creek , but off the horse trails.  Maybe near power lines and berries or apples.  Should be interesting at least.  

My mission is one NY bear !  

do a little research on "honey burns"

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

do a little research on "honey burns

Use to go up just for bear during the last 5 days in Sept. Always wanted to shoot one with the bow and spent quite a bit of time sitting over these and also tried some "other" fragrances a bear might like but could never get one to come in

Even set on trails leading to the old Inlet Dump on the state land side with no luck. Only ones I ever see have success were the guys that would run with dogs and they covered a lot of miles and some rough territory.

I think getting one is pretty much being lucky and being the right place at the right time.

i wont be near any dumps for hunting.  I am gonna try some power line areas in lewis county cause they usually have berries and apples.  Then in Indian lake I am leaning towards the back side of beaver damns with some open areas that I can see a ways at least.  Will let you know how I do, gonna get after them for the next couple of Sept's and see how it goes.  Have a hog hunting trip in feb 2019 and goal is to get a NY bear before then.  I also looked into going to Penn as they seem to have a lot of bears but really want to get one in NY   

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i wont be near any dumps for hunting.  I am gonna try some power line areas in lewis county cause they usually have berries and apples.  Then in Indian lake I am leaning towards the back side of beaver damns with some open areas that I can see a ways at least.  Will let you know how I do, gonna get after them for the next couple of Sept's and see how it goes.  Have a hog hunting trip in feb 2019 and goal is to get a NY bear before then.  I also looked into going to Penn as they seem to have a lot of bears but really want to get one in NY   

A lot of boots on the ground prior to the hunting date is what will take your odds above a wish and a prayer. 

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

Use to go up just for bear during the last 5 days in Sept. Always wanted to shoot one with the bow and spent quite a bit of time sitting over these and also tried some "other" fragrances a bear might like but could never get one to come in

Even set on trails leading to the old Inlet Dump on the state land side with no luck. Only ones I ever see have success were the guys that would run with dogs and they covered a lot of miles and some rough territory.

I think getting one is pretty much being lucky and being the right place at the right time.

This is my understanding too. I remember going to those inlet dumps as a kid. It was really cool to see all the bears combing the trash piles. My cabin is on brown tract and there's a few bear sightings a year around the camps. I put up a game camera a few weeks ago near a pretty good game trail I found but I just don't know about a bear even with some scents and lures.