Broadheads

NYBuckHunter27

20 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

I've always been a Grim Reaper guy.  On an impulse I purchased a package of Rage 100 gr., 2 blade, Chiseltip mechanical.  I will see how they shoot this year.

Surprised that nobody is shooting Rage that has responded so far?  Particularly the chiseltip.  Maybe I made a bad impulse purchase.  Anyone have any good or bad experience with these before I open the package?

I have personally witnessed a rage broadhead bounce off a deer failing to open. A lot of guys shoot them and kill deer with them. I even use NAP up till this year. I think it's that cheap rubber band on them that worries me with rage. But like I said a lot of guys killed with them.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, stubborn1VT said:

WASP Jak-Hammers.  Been shooting them for 15 years or so.  Never let me down. Durable.  Fly like field points.  I shot the 1.25" cutting diameter when I shot a slower bow.  Now that I'm shooting a faster bow, I will switch to the 1.75" cutting diameter.  I like the chisel tips after seeing the resulting broken bones.  I'm a believer in heavier arrows and moderate cutting diameter broadheads.

this will be year 4 with the jak-hammers. haven't let me down yet. 5 deer down with them all with perfect bloodtrails except for the 5pt that I gut shot. but he fell within 60 yards and was dead in less than a half hour. was definitely my fault, I rushed the shot. they fly just like my field points. they're the only mechanical I've ever used and i'll keep using them til they stop making them

• Like 1

Hey guys and gals. It's that time of the year.  The weather has me excited!  I shoot 100 grain muzzy.  I have done so for years and will continue.  I tune my bow to the actual broadheads, I never shoot field tips of practice blades,  always broadheads.  I've had good success and feel they fly very true.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 10:17 AM, beachpeaz said:

I've always been a Grim Reaper guy.  On an impulse I purchased a package of Rage 100 gr., 2 blade, Chiseltip mechanical.  I will see how they shoot this year.

Surprised that nobody is shooting Rage that has responded so far?  Particularly the chiseltip.  Maybe I made a bad impulse purchase.  Anyone have any good or bad experience with these before I open the package?

I have always had good results with them.  Be sure to check that the blades are fully seated in the collar including when you nock your arrow.  Holes are huge.  It's what I will use if the compound makes it to the woods. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 6:53 AM, sodfather said:

I have personally witnessed a rage broadhead bounce off a deer failing to open. A lot of guys shoot them and kill deer with them. I even use NAP up till this year. I think it's that cheap rubber band on them that worries me with rage. But like I said a lot of guys killed with them.

New ones all use shock collars.  I could see an issue (prematurlely opening) if the blade is not fully seated in the collar.  At least 15 deer can attest they that leave big holes. Admittedly, I shoot a heavy poundage bow. 

I was a rage fan for a while, but I never felt like I could get them razor sharp. Maybe it was me, don't know.

I read a few reviews and ended up choosing G5 Striker's (100 g). Holy crap..they are SO sharp right out of the box. One actually sliced right into a finger as I applied light pressure putting it on my arrow! 

I am loking forward to seeing how they work this season...can't imagine any issues with a pass through with how sharp they are.

Replaceable blades too.

Edited by Birdhunter

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

New ones all use shock collars.  I could see an issue (prematurlely opening) if the blade is not fully seated in the collar.  At least 15 deer can attest they that leave big holes. Admittedly, I shoot a heavy poundage bow. 

Moog the funny thing is we had the deer on camera 2 weeks later with a little mark on his shoulder. Looked a little left and high . Deer seemed fine