The shot that counts

The_Real_TCIII

1 hour ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Thanks. 

I love Easton but they sure did make it tough on me with a .320 and .390 as my choices.  I am ideally right in the middle of that deflection with a 27" arrow at 64lbs and 200 grains up front.  Very hard to tell the difference (between arrows and user error for margins) even with the broad head.

I guess the good news is that if I'm desperate I got 6 extra arrows.

I went to lighter arrows this year and have a hard time getting consistent groups. Not very forgiving,but i am adjusting. Might change it up for next year,too late in the game now...

• Like 1

image.jpgTonight in the basement........
Special note here:  I'm now shooting 4-6 arrows each morning and evening in the basement @ 13 feet.  Both of my shoulders and my right bicep are causing a fair amount of pain right now and I think it's slowly getting better. 
These two arrows are "on the money" as I was shooting for the tiny pieces of tissue just to the right edge of each shaft.  And no, I don't have a 13' setting on my QAD sight.
I'll be fine for the season, no sweat.

What pin do you use? I think it's 40 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:16 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I shot my bow through a chrono yesterday and it was a sad 252fps. I'm done with CE Mayhems they're just too heavy IMO. I went back to my Victorys which come in 50.5 grains lighter (385.5 grains). My 20 yard pin didn't need to move but I had to move my 30 up. This should get me up over 270FPS. I wish it was 285, not sure I can get there. Rant over, back to TSC in the AM

How long of arrow and what weight bh are you shooting? My arrows have to be going around 300fps with 318gr. arrow with 62lb draw weight. I shoot out to 60 yards and my pins don't have a lot of distance between them. The 50 and 60 yard pins start to space out a little.

• Like 1

How long of arrow and what weight bh are you shooting? My arrows have to be going around 300fps with 318gr. arrow with 62lb draw weight. I shoot out to 60 yards and my pins don't have a lot of distance between them. The 50 and 60 yard pins start to space out a little.

28.5" and 100. Total weight is 386 grains. What arrow are you shooting that's that light? If I could get that light I'd get 307fps according to the calculator

17 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I have a spreadsheet with my arrows/components and see that when I shot CT Cheetas for 3D I was at 306 grains with an 85 grain tip

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

28.5" and 100. Total weight is 386 grains. What arrow are you shooting that's that light? If I could get that light I'd get 307fps according to the calculator

My arrows are 8.2 gpi at 26" long and 75gr. BH the arrows are right at the max weight for the spine actually a touch light but never had an issue with my bow tuned. The bow groups great when I do my part.

You won't notice much of a difference in your pin position between 280fps and 300fps. If you are one of those people that like to use less pins and do the hold over method then you might benefit from it but going any faster won't really do much for you.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

My arrows are 8.2 gpi at 26" long and 75gr. BH the arrows are right at the max weight for the spine actually a touch light but never had an issue with my bow tuned. The bow groups great when I do my part.
You won't notice much of a difference in your pin position between 280fps and 300fps. If you are one of those people that like to use less pins and do the hold over method then you might benefit from it but going any faster won't really do much for you.

What bow are you shooting that you think is doing 300fps with that short of a draw?

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

8.2X26+75=288.2 grains

Edit to add, that would mean 30 grains in fletching, ect.

Edited by Doewhacker

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a spreadsheet with my arrows/components and see that when I shot CT Cheetas for 3D I was at 306 grains with an 85 grain tip

Man you guys would hate my trajectory.  655g at about 182fps.  My last bow was mid 150s with that weight. lol  Lob them in baby!

Even my compound arrows are 520g.  I figure that's what the pins are for.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Man you guys would hate my trajectory.  655g at about 182fps.  My last bow was mid 150s with that weight. lol  Lob them in baby!

Mine are 500 grains finished but I shoot a Hoyt at 29 inch draw so that means my bow is better and faster than all the other ones.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

How many lbs for the compound? I'm not a speed freak but like shooting @60lbs and want to be around 280fps so a 400 grain arrow gets me close

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

How many lbs for the compound? I'm not a speed freak but like shooting @60lbs and want to be around 280fps so a 400 grain arrow gets me close

82lbs.  I don't recall the chrono numbers but can run a few later and let you know.    I am sure I don't make 280.  The way I figure, no matter how fast your bow, you really need a different pin from 20 to 30 and then again from 30-40.  I just gap in between the pins if I think a deer is closer to 25 or 35.  Beyond that, I am probably cursing as the booner walks out of my life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

82lbs.  I don't recall the chrono numbers but can run a few later and let you know.    I am sure I don't make 280.  The way I figure, no matter how fast your bow, you really need a different pin from 20 to 30 and then again from 30-40.  I just gap in between the pins if I think a deer is closer to 25 or 35.  Beyond that, I am probably cursing as the booner walks out of my life.

My last bow was at 290fps and I could hunt with one pin set at 24 confidently. This bow is too slow for that so im back to multiple pins. Having said all that I would bet my avg shot is around 15 yards lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Last night, 30 yards. I tried to raise my 30 yard pin and the teeny little Allen screws on my Spot Hogg are stripped out. I pulled the sight off and put the Axcel from my 3D rig on it and will sight in todayba960acbc84d9a92a5289b7b1f794e92.jpg7c5d9c197f91aa84745c1baa4243d75c.jpg

built like a tank.  i know i've tested mine more than i or anyone ever would want to.  told the story on here multiple times.  spot hogg screws are stainless. anyway not sure if they have them out in western NY but  i usually go to Fastenal contractor stores to get all the odd ball bow hardware.  not sure how it'd be going through spott hog.  i've heard customer service is good but no first hand experience.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1