muzzleloader bullets

rachunter

what is everyone using in the inline muzzleloaders? I've been using tc shockwaves for ever. lost one doe a few years ago knocked here down at 75yrds. only to have her get up and bolt blood trail was good for about 100yrds. then dried up it was a solid broadside shot. I've dropped deer with them plenty of times but that one always creeps back into my mind when i'm shooting my ML.so what's everyone stuffing down the pipe these days?

In my old T/C Hawken  .50 Cal,   No Excuses 460 grain conical ahead of 80 grains of 3f  Triple 7.......

Loads easy and shoots flat enough for 100 yards, which is further than I have ever shot anything  with my peep sights anyway..

I worked up the load for an elk hunt about 15 years ago...Did a fine job on a 6x6 bull...

It shot so good and was so easy to load, I have used on local whitetails ever since...Amazingly, it kills them very efficiently too...<<grin>>...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Lawdwaz is Melvin still building NULA ??

Centerfire rifles, yes.  Not sure about rimfire but I did hear that he won't be making 209 smokeless muzzleloaders anymore.  Not gospel though.........

You order a CF rifle?

I just loaded a small batch of ammo for my NULA .243 to add to what I already had.  Love that pipsqueak rifle!

• Like 1

thanks buckmaster that's a lot better then the $25 for 25

I shoot hard cast lead bullets of the same diameter and weight as the Barnes for practice. I buy the bullets for about a nickel a piece and the sabots are about a dime each so for around .15$ a shot and they shoot damn near exactly the same as the Barnes out to 200yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I shoot hard cast lead bullets of the same diameter and weight as the Barnes for practice. I buy the bullets for about a nickel a piece and the sabots are about a dime each so for around .15$ a shot and they shoot damn near exactly the same as the Barnes out to 200yds.

yup i got that advise from you last year worked out pretty good.

A good pistol bullet or big bore rifle bullet works well and are.much cheaper than prepackaged muzzleloader bullets. I use hornady .452 ftx (leverevolution) bullets with the appropriate Sabot for .452 rounds. They were made for 45 cal rifles but velocities are the same from muzzloader and they expand and penetrate well as they are designed to do.. Fortunatly both come in boxes of 50..

• Like 2

I use hornady XTP in 240gr .429", a harvester ribbed sabot,  80 grains goex FFFg real blackpowder, and a plain old remington STS shtogun primer.

They kill deer just fine, they're around 60 cents a shot with powder and primer....   That's cheaper than 30-30 ammo on a really good sale these days.

However, that gun is my loaner for new hunters.  I shoot a lyman GPR flintlock with .535" roundball, homemade lubed patches, and 80 grains FFFg goex blackpowder.  English flints are my primer........    I have only shot deer in the rain and snow with it so far.  No nice n dry days yet.......  I use a cover for the gun.  If the weather is real bad, I prime the pan on sight of deer.

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2017 at 8:58 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Buckmaster, Do you mind telling me where you get your cast lead bullets?  I need to switch scopes on my CVA and would be nice to sight in and practice with a cheaper bullet/sabot combo.  Thanks!