Early Bear - Fall 2017

Rattler

Got home sunday after my first hunt. Not what i expected. Hunted saturday morning and afternoon and again sunday morning. Didn't hear a shot across the loud echoing Adirondacks i was hunting in.

i think the weather killed the weekend. 80*, mosquitoes and sweat is not what i had envisioned. looking forward to trying again next year. 

seems like a tough hunt in big woods and a few bears around.   Its not like the maine population.  And just kinda have to stumble into them.  And if I was walking around in fur coat in 80' weather I would be hard to find in a cool spot too.  

I think we are gonna find a spot near the water and sit for a bit.  

35 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

seems like a tough hunt in big woods and a few bears around.   Its not like the maine population.  And just kinda have to stumble into them.  And if I was walking around in fur coat in 80' weather I would be hard to find in a cool spot too.  

I think we are gonna find a spot near the water and sit for a bit.  

that's what i did. Right at the edge of an inlet and a small lake. even used some ny legal "lure". we had a good cold snap there and then bam. heat. So i imagine they're shut down pretty good except middle of the night to raid campers coolers. 

if it's too warm even for deer...

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

I'm giving it one more try tomorrow morning.  I will go out the door before dawn and sit where I've seen sign, until it gets warm about 9 AM.  That's about all I can bring myself to do.  Besides, I've got work on the house I need to finish before the snow starts.  At least I won't have to worry about getting cold.

11 hours ago, Padre86 said:

Do you hunt bear?

we used to run bear, ever hear of nelson cole, pete Richards? tree 100 bear a year. bear battling musket, and Tippy, that were my lines too.

last of my hounds was put down today

moved to Wyoming and we just shoot bear, I guess you call it hunting but it's really just looking at bears til we see one the minimum size we want then killing it.

grizz grizz grizz too small black grizz grizz grizz too small black and so on until hey, that's a monster, bang. get the horses.

these are all photos of blacks that should be passed on, they are either female, (long necks) and or immature or barely mature bears ( pie/ wedge shaped heads).

when there are 400 pounders out there shooting a 150pound immature bear is the same as shooting a forkhorn  or big spike, some people don't care about thatstuff ( I don't I shoot the first fat spike elk that I see) but others claim it's best to let them mature...same guy shoots a 170 pound 4 year old bear...an animal that lives for more than 20 in the wild and cracks 600 pounds....well, whatever.

DSC02847.JPG

10517453_899483296733692_1607537170416023549_n.jpg

DSC03120.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 11:50 PM, slickrockpack said:

we used to run bear, ever hear of nelson cole, pete Richards? tree 100 bear a year. bear battling musket, and Tippy, that were my lines too.

last of my hounds was put down today

moved to Wyoming and we just shoot bear, I guess you call it hunting but it's really just looking at bears til we see one the minimum size we want then killing it.

grizz grizz grizz too small black grizz grizz grizz too small black and so on until hey, that's a monster, bang. get the horses.

these are all photos of blacks that should be passed on, they are either female, (long necks) and or immature or barely mature bears ( pie/ wedge shaped heads).

when there are 400 pounders out there shooting a 150pound immature bear is the same as shooting a forkhorn  or big spike, some people don't care about thatstuff ( I don't I shoot the first fat spike elk that I see) but others claim it's best to let them mature...same guy shoots a 170 pound 4 year old bear...an animal that lives for more than 20 in the wild and cracks 600 pounds....well, whatever.

DSC02847.JPG

10517453_899483296733692_1607537170416023549_n.jpg

DSC03120.JPG

Are you referring to Pete Richards of Vermont? 

Any success stories?

I spent a few sweaty days, swatting mosquitoes, and wandering around my area. There are several bears in my area but seriously doubt a one of them would ever reach 400 pounds based upon their limited natural food availability.  

Lots of sign but their movement has become pretty nocturnal with the heat and change of season. I hope to get back at it very soon and get some cooler weather.

After wandering around all day I found that this guy had walked between my cabin and woodshed overnight.....

IMG_0258.JPG

• Like 2

I guess I'll go out one more time tomorrow and just look for bear as I get some exercise checking out my deer stands.  Gotta make sure everything is good for bow hunting anyway.  If I go out at the crack of dawn, I should be done by the time things heat up.  I'll carry the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem in case a bear wanders by.

• Like 1

Saw a bear track near a den hole and it looks like a bear has been using it, but no bear today.  Did see a doe and two yearlings that came within 10 yards of the stand I was in at the time.  She knew something wasn't right but didn't spook, just walked off after a few minutes.  Everything is good to go for the bow opener.

I made some morning attempts this weekend. Same issue: too hot and had to break off by midday. I just don't see the bear being that active in that kind of heat.

I certainly enjoy being out in the woods, regardless of whether I get a bear. But the more time I spend hunting bear in the ADKs, the more I begin to appreciate why other forested states and parts of Canada are so keen on allowing for baiting, hounding, or both. Even when I find bear sign, it seems like it's a roll of the dice as to whether or not I'll see one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEC Statement for hikers & leaf peepers

Hunting Season: Early Bear Hunting Season is open. Hikers should be aware that they may meet hunters bearing firearms or archery equipment on trails. Please recognize that these are fellow outdoor recreationists with the legal right to participate in these activities on the Forest Preserve. Hunting accidents involving non-hunters are extremely rare.