Brook Trout lessons

Salmon_Run

Teaching the son the skills for sneaking up on wild native brook trout in small streams can be great fun. He lost a few hooks and finally connected with a beautiful native trout. 

The frustrating part for him was casting and not putting it into the trees across the brook. He had fun and we limited out with enough for supper.. 

IMG_0230 (1).JPG

• Like 13

Those native brookies are truly special ..

About 25 years ago I was bowhunting elk in Colorado and came across a small stream that was loaded with spawning brookies...

I  had my fly rod in camp and fished it a couple of times...Those trout would hit any fly dragged across the pools as long as they did not SEE me...Once they saw me it was all over for that pool...I had a ball..Caught a bunch of trout and we had a couple of good meals in camp...

42 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Those native brookies are truly special ..

About 25 years ago I was bowhunting elk in Colorado and came across a small stream that was loaded with spawning brookies...

I  had my fly rod in camp and fished it a couple of times...Those trout would hit any fly dragged across the pools as long as they did not SEE me...Once they saw me it was all over for that pool...I had a ball..Caught a bunch of trout and we had a couple of good meals in camp...

Dan Where about did you hunt Colorado.

• Like 1

Man that brings back memories! My first native brookie outing was from my grandfathers best friend long passed now. Hiked me back into god knows where up past St.Regis when I was maybe 11-12 and caught a bunch. I still remember how colorful they were. Been many years since I have gone after any wilds up there and I have no idea where I was that day. Had some fun with those old timers though!! I remember one trip after they been having a few beers they were going to fix a beaver problem in the middle of the night. I was recruited to drive (sober and 13 or so lol) i remeber dinamite was involved and me swearing to never tell my mom or grandmother know anything about this adventure. Sworn in darkness over a sip of Schafers!!

• Like 2

Memories, I grew up going to camp every summer with my grandfather who taught me the nuances of Adirondack brook trout fishing. Together we spent countless hours crawling over beaver dams and walking miles in search of those colorful little trout. I didn't have waders so wore old sneakers and waded along behind him.

The limit was 10 back then and I remember several days harvesting our limit and then grandmother cooking them in bacon grease at camp.....it makes me happy that my children love the outdoors and camp (no cell or internet) access...they also are enjoying fishing these small streams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmokeinTN said:

Dan Where about did you hunt Colorado.

WE were hunting   a  few miles southeast of Montrose.....I can't remember the name of the plateau that we hunted...I was with Billy Arnold and Jim Hayes.....I do remember a little place about 10 miles directly north of us that had a restaurant and a motel..Named Cimmarron..We would drive down there every 3-4 days to get a restaurant meal and a shower...

This fishing is all I had growing up. Didn't make it onto any big water, just small "cricks". This fishing is more like stalking than fishing. I had one small stream that was limestone fall after lime stone fall. plunge pools at the bottom of each one. Once you got int he ravine you were committed to the couple miles of fishing becasue you couldn't get out the sides and no one ever wanted to climb back up...lol.   I sure do miss that. 

• Like 1