Another Hunting clothes thread

Buckmaster7600

You could go nuts washing drying sent killing etc. Does it all help who knows for sure but every little bit to fool a deer helps.  

I don't go overboard I wash all my clothes before season in borax and backing powder. Then let them hang dry outside.  I sent kill them once they are dry and put them in a plastic container.  Wear them and wash again when needed. If I need to quick dry I use non sented dryer sheets.  

I think the biggest thing that scent control helps is positive mindset. If the wind changes a little but some spray, deodorant or what ever else keeps you in the stand for a couple extra minutes it is worth the investment.

As for me, Well this will be I think my 18th big game season and I'm 0 for 18 on purchasing a single scent control product. In that 18 years I have killed mature bucks in 7 states and have to be darn near 100 dead deer. I think I'll keep spending my money on beer and bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As I mentioned in "the other thread", I do wash my clothes in Ivory soap, I store them in a plastic tote for easy transportation, and yeah, I toss a pine branch in the tote. Do I honestly think any of this helps? Nope. I have bought those scent eliminators and cover scents, but never had any faith in them.

Now, aside from the soap and pine, I do nothing. Well, that's not true, I don't put on my outer layers until I am ready to head into the woods, and take them off before the drive home.

I brought this up a few times in the past. You can buy all the crap the hunting shows and internet ads, magazine ads tells you works, but people were killing wild game long before any of this crap was here. Hunters have killed deer wearing red plaid wool coats and blue jeans, smoking, and just after crapping out chili.

• Like 2

That's the truth ...Rob, I know guys who have every gadget they can afford and they get deer but not on a regular basis.  Then you have the guys who hunt and camps hang there clothes inside and they smell of venison stew and eggs and bacon and come home with multiple deer a year.  Some of the stuff works and help you be more comfortable but some of the stuff you look at and say what the hell is that for!! 

I think the amount of odor that comes out of a persons mouth with every breath is worse then anything else..if you've ever spoken to someone who's been up since 4 a.m. and polished off 4 cups of coffee, you know what I mean....besides trying to keep my clothes as clean as possible, I shower before each hunt, wear a clean pair of gloves when setting up and climbing my stand and chew Clorets gum to reduce the amount of bad breath. I compare spraying a smelly body with cover scent to spraying a bathroom with flower scented air freshener after taking a dump...it just smells like flowers mixed with sh*t.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I am reading in a couple other threads all the prep work that others are doing with their hunting clothes.

Am I the only one that does nothing? My clothes are washed with tide they are hung above the dogs kennel in the mud room. I don't use any sprays. The only time I do anything is I put them in a plastic tote on my way to camp because I have a regular cab truck and want them dry in the bed. Anyone else like me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine get washed every 5 years or so.. Except when you shoot a bear ..they stink and it's hard to get rid of...I had to wash mine 3x to get.smell out.. Play the wind.. Rest is gimmicks

• Like 2

I wash pants and shirt with regular detergent as needed during the season, but wash the coat after the season is over.  I also leave it hanging in the garage with all the exhaust and everything during the season.  This is all I've ever done.  The scent blocker spray companies would surely go out of business if all hunters were like me.

• Like 2

My coat is 30 years old pants only 10 as I got fat...lol I still have 70 year old woolrich hunting coats from my father never been washed or dry cleaned.. I don't know what you guys do in your clothes but walking slowly to a stand and sitting or stillhunting doesn't make much sweat to get into them..maybe you under layers..and when you guy or drag game removing coat and or Bob's..keeps them fine for years...

Unless your rolling around in a swamp or slide down a hill.. Your doing something wrong to have your outer wear so dirty

• Like 1

I wash my outer layers in a sent free soap then hung outside to dry. When I get home they stay outside under the porch unless they are calling for nasty weather. That’s about all I do and I’ve had a fair amount of deer walk under me without ever noticing.