Interesting what DEC says about bucks

chas0218

8 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Ny still own;s the title as the..Worst place in the country to hunt Whitetails.... Until DEC starts making good moves that actually help something then that title will be stamped forever.

Thats only relative to your notion as to what you feel huting deer to be. You cant think that your statement is fact for all NY hunters. For my NY back 40, hunting deer is awesome!!!!!

• Like 3

Thats only relative to your notion as to what you feel huting deer to be. You cant think that your statement is fact for all NY hunters. For my NY back 40, hunting deer is awesome!!!!!

Nope that's a fact as the state as a whole. I have made great hunting in places but it was also done on terms other than what the DEC wrote in their book as to what they think is right. Many landowners are now managing their lands on their with their rules. But the state of Ny still pulls along as the worst state in the country to hunt by the standards that were used? Weather. Deer Numbers. Hunter Numbers and 80-90% of bucks killed being babies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, growalot said:

Watch what you ask for...Personally I don't want to see caravans of out of state campers coming through,the farmers taking out summer crops and putting in winter hunting acres.

This said having just seen that happen this year and not far away...crops planted for leased hunting club...this year WW AND turnips went into a bean field,the club's gotten big, my Dr. is a member so I know. 

Do you public land guys REALLY want an army of out fitters/guides scouting public hunting for out of state guys? Lease prices doubling? Open l a nd prices going up.. we have a huge operation surround c as no..trying to force sales...

Point well taken. We all whine about the shortage of access to open hunting land and how crowded hunting conditions are killing hunting. Well, we have enough crowds without trying to attract more. Relax and hunt the piles of deer that we got and get over this trophy craze. You need guaranteed trophy deer takes, go to some game farm and get your trophy-fix taken care of.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:16 AM, Four Season Whitetails said:

Ny still own;s the title as the..Worst place in the country to hunt Whitetails.... Until DEC starts making good moves that actually help something then that title will be stamped forever.

Id like to see the research on that... kind of hard to declare something as subjective as that. My vote would be for one of the best places to hunt whitetails, but I obviously haven't done the research on it like you have. It would be interesting to find out the criteria used to determine the BEST place to hunt deer. I may have to move to another state if the hunting here isn't as good as I've thought it was all these years. I certainly hope the DEC does something as important as "making good moves that actually help something" because that is definitely what is keeping NY from being the "best".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

All one has to do is google the top 10 and worst 10 place to hunt whitetails in the country. And it far from just an issue of not having many trophy deer. When you have a kill rate of what 80% baby Deer killed every year kinda shows a problem.

Again, what was the criteria in determing best vs worst. Again, deer hunting has been fantastic on my back 40 for myself and family and those stats dont sway me in the least.  Guess we should all leave NY fot greener pasture because the stats say so.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

All one has to do is google the top 10 and worst 10 place to hunt whitetails in the country. And it far from just an issue of not having many trophy deer. When you have a kill rate of what 80% baby Deer killed every year kinda shows a problem.

And of course we all know that if it is on the internet, it must be true ..... lol.

• Like 2

All one has to do is read it and compare. It sure is not a bunch of lies because everything they base it on are true facts and at the end of the day Ny state....Again...AS A WHOLE...Ranks Last. Like I said us and many others have made awesome hunting on our properties but it was not done using DEC criteria. Not the best record there.

5 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

All one has to do is read it and compare. It sure is not a bunch of lies because everything they base it on are true facts and at the end of the day Ny state....Again...AS A WHOLE...Ranks Last. Like I said us and many others have made awesome hunting on our properties but it was not done using DEC criteria. Not the best record there.

Man,hunting must be out of this world in other states,because it is not bad here. Sounds like a typical New Yorker bitching about NY,very common problem.

On 9/23/2017 at 7:42 AM, G-Man said:

Shoot age class not antler points for proper management...

This right here! Finally I'm not  the only one saying that. You don't get big bucks from AR's you get them from age. Anyone that will spend a few minutes and research how you get big bucks would realize that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nyantler said:

The "object" of good deer management is not to produce big bucks, that just happens to be the "bi-product" of good deer management. Thinking big bucks are the object is the reason most management programs are falling short.

not sure that people will ever get around this idea.  i think it does take someone to evolve as a hunter to get to a point where this is the mindset.  i think it's a huge reason why any effort labeled "QDM" gets trashed, called elitist, and spun into something other than conservation.  even in this thread a tool of ARs have been brought up when they aren't even the topic of discussion.  if hunters in general continue to cherry pick tools and aspects of good deer management they agree or disagree with to fit their interests and then bastardize everything else, it'll always be spun into something unworthy.  good news is that good deer management is just that and will never go away, even if it has to be pulled from the ashes.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 9:16 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't feel that land has much to do with it. Our seasons are too long in all but the Adirondacks and we get too many buck tags. Go to 1 buck and a 1 week gun season for 5 years and see how big the Bucks start getting.

Problem is many hunters want to have their cake and be able to eat it. You can't have 4-8 weeks of gun season and be allowed to kill 2 bucks and want to have more mature bucks.

That being said I hope nothing changes in NY, I love hunting the Adirondacks and haven't had much problem killing mature bucks up there.

I think the long seasons are well suited for parts of NY, especially the Northern Zone.  The hunting isn't easy up there, so the DEC is trying to give hunters every advantage they can.

As for the lack of mature "trophy" type deer, I don't get too worried about that.

I think the long seasons are well suited for parts of NY, especially the Northern Zone.  The hunting isn't easy up there, so the DEC is trying to give hunters every advantage they can.

As for the lack of mature "trophy" type deer, I don't get too worried about that.

That may be why in my post I stated "in all but the Adirondacks"

On 9/24/2017 at 9:26 AM, Four Season Whitetails said:

Just the facts

Trying to convince someone, let alone the core group of forum fanboys, is a waste of your time. They “know” NY and the DEC are best for they never are confronted about their choice to shoot the first milk muzzled fawn that comes by them. They actually embrace our hunting culture and opportunity because they’ve fostered it. 

• Like 1

I think my attitude about the DEC is based on the fact that they have biologists that are educated in the field of wildlife management. They devote their entire career to the subject of management. They have the finances and resources to at least make an educated stab at their techniques. Now compare that to opinionated hunters who almost all have never cracked a wildlife management book or received any sort of credible education on the subject, and I have to ask myself, "Which one has the best chance of actually being right?"

I won't say they are infallible, but at least they come with some level of credentials.

• Like 2