5 yards to 20 yards!

Robhuntandfish

ok have heard so  much about using your 30yard pin for a five yard shot.  So i had to try it out this weekend.  Well it def doesnt work that way with my bow.  All shots 5-20 yards dead on with 20 yard pin.  I missed a deer at 6 yards last season and I shot low cause i put my pin low thinking its that close.  Now I know better.  But that 30 or 40 yard pin for 5 yards practice sure wouldnt work for my bow.  Moral of the story - gotta shoot the bow at 5 yards to know for sure! 

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Moral of the story - gotta shoot the bow at 5 yards to know for sure! 

Precisely  why I PRACTICE at different yardages  If you are sighted in for 20 yards you still need to know how to shoot at 22, 12, or whatever yards. Can't have a pin for every distance.

ok have heard so  much about using your 30yard pin for a five yard shot.  So i had to try it out this weekend.  Well it def doesnt work that way with my bow.  All shots 5-20 yards dead on with 20 yard pin.  I missed a deer at 6 yards last season and I shot low cause i put my pin low thinking its that close.  Now I know better.  But that 30 or 40 yard pin for 5 yards practice sure wouldnt work for my bow.  Moral of the story - gotta shoot the bow at 5 yards to know for sure! 

Do you know what speed you're getting?

At that distance the 20 vs 30 won't make much difference. Certainly not the diff between a good shot and a clear miss.

That said, my 20 yard is my 0-20 pin. It hits close enough in the pre-20 yard that I have no intention of playing mind games. If something is within 20 yards it gets 20 yard. If over 20 yards I'll start bringing the 30 into the equation.

I've not tested much in short distances but I recall at 10 yards the 20 yard pin is bang on, and it's shooting an inch or two high at 15. 

At 5-6 yards I doubt I'd even sight the thing.

24 minutes ago, Core said:

At that distance the 20 vs 30 won't make much difference. Certainly not the diff between a good shot and a clear miss.

That said, my 20 yard is my 0-20 pin. It hits close enough in the pre-20 yard that I have no intention of playing mind games. If something is within 20 yards it gets 20 yard. If over 20 yards I'll start bringing the 30 into the equation.

I've not tested much in short distances but I recall at 10 yards the 20 yard pin is bang on, and it's shooting an inch or two high at 15. 

At 5-6 yards I doubt I'd even sight the thing.

You going to shoot from the hip at 5?

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I always assumed that the reason bows generally shoot low that close is because the sight sits several inches higher than the arrow.  Not sure how Rob gets the same poi at 5 and 20.  Interesting.

No time/distance for the arrow to rise enough in trajectory - which is why the 30 yard pin is used for some people's setups. That is their specific "intersection" of line of sight/distance and trajectory (which is still rising at that point)

I will admit to shots under 10 that I actually don't use the pins and move toward instinctual shooting. Oftentimes because if it's that close, it's because it's quick. 10-20 is my 20 settled a touch low and good form.

Close shots also cause people to throw their form in the trash when shooting from a stand. Bend at the waist and keep that T form? No way, let's shoot looking like someone dancing to the tea kettle song. I joke, but it's often because they're shooting close because the action is fast paced. Usually the heart pumping and adrenaline is dumping. Muscle memory and mechanics come into play here big time.

• Like 2

Pretty much what I thought Phade.  With the recurve, I get a constant drop from the outset so if I aim at 5 yds like I aim at 20 (same POA) I will shoot 5" high (need to aim low) which is pretty constant to about 13yds and then it starts dropping closer to my 20yd POA. At 25yds, I need to aim several inches high and so forth.  But, I also have a nock point much higher on the recurve (around .75" higher than level) meaning the arrow probably doesn't arch as much if at all.  Testing will confirm with whatever bow you shoot.

Edited by moog5050

it's never the same but close enough to be practical.  it depends on exact setup.  i practice with my bow at distances under 10 yards but to be honest i never see those.  for a stand i won't shoot that close, because path through all vitals is tough to get and when on the ground i simply don't setup or let them get that close.  others have covered it all good in this thread.

20 yard top pin i use and it's pretty close all the way into 10 yards.

Edited by dbHunterNY

i have to use my pins even at 5 yards cause I have an issue with eyesight that will throw me off.  I am left eye dominant but right handed.  I shoot right handed because I always have and am well ingrained in that now.  But I find it interesting how different sights can be for people.  Have read in these forums of people using their 30/40 yard pins for 5 yard shots.  Def the proof is in the pudding and have to take that shot at the target before a deer to be sure.  Also I have some stands that are 17ft and the ground is level, sloping etc.  I also have some 9ft stands tucked in the brush , so the 5 yard shot is a possible one from the stand, just depends on the angle and height for the vitals.  But if i were to shoot 5 yards, 10 yards or 20 yards my fletches would be touching all from the 20 yard pin.  Good to know.  Cant assume anything on a 5 yard layup! 

• Like 1