Scope Mounting Via Box Store (NFG)

You DO know what NFG means, yes?

I was chatting with a friend/neighbor where I hunt and he and his son were sighting in a new rifle (their first real experience with a CF rifle) and I expressed an interest in fondling the new piece after they said it was a Tikka.  The son pulled it from the truck and handed it to me.  A quick check of the chamber proved a clear and then I held it at arms length just admiring it.  The Leupold scope looked odd to me at first but on closer inspection, I found a boner.  Appears as though the young sales monkey at Field & Stream in Rochester mounted the scope 90 degrees OFF........the windage turret was on top and the elevation was on the right side.

I pointed it out to the father and son and they both got a sick look in their faces.  I said, "no sweat, just take the TORX wrench that came with the rings/bases, loosen the screws a little and spin it 90 degrees".  They then told me they didn't get the TORX wrench or any thing else from F&S.  I said again, "no sweat, I'll bring one down next weekend and we can get it correct".  They were happy that I'd help out and we soon said our goodbyes.

I was in my buddies truck when we were talking with them and when we got back to his house I thought I just might have one of those wrenches in my truck and, darn it all I did!  A quick phone call was made and we went to the guys house and got things straight again.  Now this weekend I will help them get it back to zero as turning the scope 90 degrees is going to change things a bit.  They said they were having a dickens of a time trying to sight it in with the "U" turret on the side and the "D" turret on top.  :)

He thanked me with two bottles of home made wine........... ^_^ 

• Like 7

What is sad is saw a guy do it at Dick's he had the bench on the counter and putting the scope on with the bore sighter. I looked at it and made a mention it was 90* off, the guy laughed at me and said he does 5 or 6 of them a week and knows what he is doing. I laughed and said "I'm sure you do, but hopefully you do the others right". He looked at me with a disgusted look and ask with a snarky tone "You need anything?" I left to him tightening down the screws with it 90* off still. I mean if you are working at the gun counter you should know the general basics of firearms. Another time another store I overheard the clerk telling a guy he needed a 300 win mag for deer. I later saw the customer looking at ammo and talked to him about guns and ammo he said the clerk didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

What can you do but laugh.

Just another example of why you should support your local gun shop!  The 'sales monkey' (love that term) at the big box store, should not be trusted compared to a shop owner, who's business depends on good basic work to survive. And to be able to get sound advice to most  firearms questions, is worth any added expense one might save going to a box store. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Just another example of why you should support your local gun shop!  The 'sales monkey' (love that term) at the big box store, should not be trusted compared to a shop owner, who's business depends on good basic work to survive. And to be able to get sound advice to most  firearms questions, is worth any added expense one might save going to a box store. 

The added expense is your the added aggravation and time fixing what the big box store screwed up. I like doing it myself and even without a bore sighter I still manage to zero my scope quickly. Start at 25 yards then 50 then 100. Pretty easy stuff and youtube is only a click away.

And that is why I don't buy guns from box stores, glad they had someone to help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes there are smokin deals...that's why I always browse. Just have the clerk file the paperwork, and hand the gun over, and say your good byes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMO you need to tinker with everything very "intimately".. everything needs to be perfect and comfortable. You can't really do that while in a hurry at Dicks, F&S, etc.  Also I like to use threadlocker.  So no I would not let someone else put a scope on for me anymore..  But homemade wine sounds great right now

Horror stories from big box store. I bought my Thompson .50 cal at dicks and had my gunsmith put on the scope.Rest in Peace my Friend. Jimmy Salasney was a good guy and an even greater gunsmith, boy he had some sweet sweet pistols,one offs from Thompson Center he would tell me. but anyway kids putting on rifle scopes, where is that even a good idea. They were hired to do retail, to sell crap to people.Ill bet that guy doing five or six a week didnt get even one of them right. bunch of knobs working on guns. God i hated Gander Mountain. So close and so much hate I would go to dicks instead... Lets not forget supporting your local pro shops . like Martha Stewart says "Its a good thing"