Please be careful if you choose small kill zones

BigVal

Today my uncle shot a buck at our camp that had it's lower jaw blown off, I won't go into details very graphic. I know some people will say but head shots quick clean kill "no mess for dressing"!! Ok. But if you aren't going to hit your spot do the animal a favor and shoot for the boiler room!! 

Just blowing off steam here 

• Like 6

The guys who advocate head shots are doing controlled kills over bait at night with lights from an overhead position.  I won't take anything other than a "Boiler Room" shot because anything less than a humane kill isn't worth pulling the trigger.

• Like 3

What a slow lingering death that would be if the deer was not eventually harvested. Imagine how tough deer are and how long it would take for that animal to finally die of starvation. Difficult to even contemplate. By the way, those "neck shots" aren't really examples of great shot selection either.

• Like 4

I shot a doe in the head once in my real early hunting career. Last day of muzzleloader and i was desperate for meat. It worked out,got her between eyes and ears and she never got up,but i know better now. There is no room for error on one of those shots,now it is double lung for me every time.

Neck shots are not a whole lot better either.

I dont want to push my luck and leave a wounded deer running around. That is the worst.

27 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I shot a doe in the head once in my real early hunting career. Last day of muzzleloader and i was desperate for meat. It worked out,got her between eyes and ears and she never got up,but i know better now. There is no room for error on one of those shots,now it is double lung for me every time.

Neck shots are not a whole lot better either.

I dont want to push my luck and leave a wounded deer running around. That is the worst.

yup neck for me.

I shot a doe on opening day last year that had her jaw hanging as well. It’s too small of a “kill zone” and being off by a couple inches can cause suffering. That deer will not die of blood loss, it will die of starvation or sepsis.

Imo, I agree head shots are not the best option a hunter should use. But, just because the jaw was hit doesn't  mean that's where the person aimed. Some folks are just plain bad shots and also consider bullet deflection.  Lot's of things can go wrong when you pull the trigger. Many years ago a nervous nelly  friend harvested his first deer (doe) and dropped it in it's tracks. He could find the bullet hole in the shoulder where he aimed. He whacked the the deer in the eye....lights out.  He couldn't believe he hit the doe in the eye. ??????

No way to tell if the Miss was from an attempted head shot or “boiler room” shot. Could have been deflection. Who knows....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I shoot a 30-06 and .308. Maybe it's possible with smaller rounds but I am not sure a bullet could deflect that far. Unless the deer is far beyond the deflection. I am def. not an expert so if anyone knows I am wrong, feel free to tear me to shreds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I shoot a 30-06 and .308. Maybe it's possible with smaller rounds but I am not sure a bullet could deflect that far. Unless the deer is far beyond the deflection. I am def. not an expert so if anyone knows I am wrong, feel free to tear me to shreds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have no idea either. Maybe the shot was pulled? Maybe the shooter was gun shy? Maybe the only open shot was the jaw and they went for it? Nobody but the shooter knows for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Very very likely that the shot was intended to be a head shot. Maybe not but the post still applies. Nobody here knows what happened, including myself. But still my point is make smart choices because this is what can happen. I've also seen ears and noses "brushed" 

Edited by BigVal