total newbie

Artemis

So what's your thoughts on :

Full xbow inclusion ?

Sasquatch ?

AR restrictions?

Bear meat being good eating ?

Deer seasons for gun cut to a shorter season?

There are some other "hot topics" ^_^ that most stay away from as we start to throw stones in glass houses. So grab a big bowl of popcorn if you get that bored and jump in lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Uh huh... Busting on people already, I like your style. You are gonna fit right in here!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oh geez, I've been on my best behavior because I'm the new kid on the block... but I love bustin' chops. :-D

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

It's 100% a product of my own decision and desire to be more self-sufficient, to know where my foods comes from and provide it myself, and to become more knowledgeable about what is happening in the woods and forests around me. So yes, I want to ask questions and know more for myself.

Good for you young lady, sounds like you are a natural born predator, like most things in life if you work hard at it success will usually follow and hunting is no different. I wish you the best of luck.

Al

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Hey wait   I just realized you are a female after noticing forum pic and your "goddess of the hunt" comment    Jeesh. no wonder all the guys are being so helpful   :pleasantry:

My new to the forum introduction was not responded to for weeks lol   

Just kidding  

You joined a great forum ,good luck in your future endeavors

I think Tfeathers is jealous of the spicy commentary on scent control.  Forgive him it is the rut.,...lol

And if I were going to flirt with someone on the hunting forum it would be that new guy from Kansas.   Lol. 

Kansas........the does there have bigger antlers than the bucks in NY. I'm actually considering telling my girlfriend I'm going to have to stalk him .....she will understand.

Being goddess of the hunt I am sure you do too......

I think Tfeathers is jealous of the spicy commentary on scent control.  Forgive him it is the rut.,...lol
And if I were going to flirt with someone on the hunting forum it would be that new guy from Kansas.   Lol. 
Kansas........the does there have bigger antlers than the bucks in NY. I'm actually considering telling my girlfriend I'm going to have to stalk him .....she will understand.
That's some funny ish right there. I've been trying my best to get in his stand.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

And here I thought this was a hunting forum, not a pick up site. Or maybe I misunderstood what y'all are hunting?   :-D

"I'd like to get in his treestand"- is that what the kids are calling it these days? LOL! 

• Like 2

welcome aboard,

as others have said in woods experience will teach you a lot.  Deer tracks can tell you a lot of information if you know your area well.  If your hunting near agriculture fields you will likely find heavily used trails leading to and from the fields, this is also true in forested areas as deer generally have a feeding area even in big woods.

setting up on the trails at the time they are likely being used is key, what I mean is if you set up on a trail the deer use to get to their feeding area but use different trails leading to their bedding area you want to set up on the going to trails in the afternoon and the return trails in the mornings.

Scent control, while its true that some people pay no attention to scent control and kill deer its always something to think about and pay attention to. While true we can never become 100% scent free but we may be able to get our scent level down to a tolerable level to the deer where they feel we had passed through the area but are no longer present.

Speaking from personal experience, I am a fanatic about scent control with everything, clothes, equipment, boots, pack, bow, stands, anything and everything. I never wear a complete outfit more than 1 time without washing it again in scent free soap and line drying.  I have totes full of complete outfits from socks to safety harnesses, everything gets washed after 1 use.

I hunt the wind and thermals, if the wind or thermals are not right I don't hunt that stand, I pushed the envelope 1 time last year and it cost me a chance at picket. This year I vowed to not make that rookie mistake again and twice during archery season I baled out of my stand and ran out of the area because the wind changed direction. I was very deliberate in my scent control regime and on my 4th encounter with picket I was able to put an arrow through him.

Everyone has their regime that works for them and what works for them may not work for someone else.  Keep working at things and once you get to the point of seeing deer you can fine tune your preparations for the hunt and success will follow.

The thing to remember is with whitetail deer we are up against some of the best eyes, ears and noses in the woods,,,,in their HOME, they live there 24/7/365 they know the woods far better than we ever will, They are in full survival mode 24/7/365.

If you are hunting from the ground camo is of utmost importance, match your surroundings. What I mean is you don't want a spring green pattern at this time of year, you want to blend in to your surroundings.  as someone else said, set up against a large tree or in a fallen tree top. You don't want to cut a bunch of shooting lanes or trees, remember you are in their home they WILL notice the change. Make sure you are comfortable setting there. Be aware of how much your moving, be aware of your surroundings. Often times squirrels, birds(blue jays especially) can tip you off to an approaching deer.

Instant success when starting out on your own is rare, don't get discouraged and don't try to learn everything at once as you will simply become overwhelmed and get discouraged quickly. Practice with your weapon, whether bow or gun. concentrate on form, follow through, target acquisition, make it all second nature that will build confidence and that confidence will pay dividends when the moment of truth arrives. 

trail cameras can certainly help in the scouting department, when using cameras you want to be careful with how often you check them, every trip in the woods leaves scent, touching the camera leaves scent.  I would say no more than once a week check of the cameras unless you are out in the area almost on a daily basis as a normal daily routine.

enough rambling from me.  enjoy the sport of hunting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reeltime said:

Speaking from personal experience, I am a fanatic about scent control with everything, clothes, equipment, boots, pack, bow, stands, anything and everything. I never wear a complete outfit more than 1 time without washing it again in scent free soap and line drying.  I have totes full of complete outfits from socks to safety harnesses, everything gets washed after 1 use.

If you are hunting from the ground camo is of utmost importance, match your surroundings. What I mean is you don't want a spring green pattern at this time of year, you want to blend in to your surroundings.  as someone else said, set up against a large tree or in a fallen tree top. You don't want to cut a bunch of shooting lanes or trees, remember you are in their home they WILL notice the change. Make sure you are comfortable setting there. 

Oy...looks like I've got to learn about scent control and may have already  screwed the pooch on some things :-( Like wearing my Muck boots around doing things under than hunting in them... 

What constitutes a spring green pattern? The stuff I have is the Fusion camo pattern from First Lite. I was advised it was a good pattern for the Eastern hardwoods. I think it will be in good for early bow season next year, but I'm starting to worry that it might have too much green in it for the late season forest around here. Is that what you mean? Is it common for serious hunters to have several different sets of camo outifts in different patterns? Even if you hunt the same places most of the year? (I know seasons change even if places don't, I just mean more East vs. Western hunters.) 

14 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Oy...looks like I've got to learn about scent control and may have already  screwed the pooch on some things :-( Like wearing my Muck boots around doing things under than hunting in them... 

What constitutes a spring green pattern? The stuff I have is the Fusion camo pattern from First Lite. I was advised it was a good pattern for the Eastern hardwoods. I think it will be in good for early bow season next year, but I'm starting to worry that it might have too much green in it for the late season forest around here. Is that what you mean? Is it common for serious hunters to have several different sets of camo outifts in different patterns? Even if you hunt the same places most of the year? (I know seasons change even if places don't, I just mean more East vs. Western hunters.) 

If you are basically wearing the mucks in the woods, no biggie.  Spilling oil, gas, etc on them then you better have a dedicated pair for hunting.  I wouldn't stress too much about camo choice, movement gives you away far more often than whether you have too much green in your camo.  Use what you got. 

On 11/26/2017 at 12:33 PM, Artemis said:

I'm not so sure about that. I went out on Friday morning and all I've learned so far is

1.) I need a better system for keeping my toes warm. I had to go in early because I couldn't take the pain any more. Maybe I'm just a wimp. 

2.) I need warmer pants. My legs were pretty cold too, which probably didn't help the feet. As a skier and ice climber, I'm use to being outside in pretty frigid weather and generally know how to dress for different conditions. Of course, in both of those sports, I'm generally MOVING and that makes quite a bit of difference. 

3.) I need to eat before I go out to stoke the internal fire. Lack of food = cold. Didn't matter that I eaten a ton the day before for Thanksgiving. 

and the biggest lesson I learned.... 

4.) I don't have a flipping clue what I'm doing. I'm not expecting that every time I go in the woods I come out with some thing, but geez, I saw nothing but squirrels. At what point do you have just a bit more faith that you will see something and what point do you decide this spot is not worth it and move on? 

Maybe that does classify as a "bunch" of lesson learned. 

Where are you located? There may be some members close that can mentor you

One time my hunting buddy looked at me and said " dude I just can't hunt with you today...youre wearing mossy oak and realtree, really it's embarrassing". Lol

I agree with Moog. I wouldn't worry bout it.  But I def keep a pair of hunting only boots. For scent and always have a dry pair.  

OK, I'm new, so I don't get the joke. What's wrong with Mossy Oak and RealTree? Are they bad camo patterns or was it that he mixed the two? I know some folks are die hard fans of one versus the other-- so is that it? 

I like my Fusion stuff a lot. Not because of any success in the field with it mind you, I just think it's a pretty pattern. But then I'm apparently weird because I like to wear camo just because its looks like nature and nature is beautiful. 

I might also enjoy wearing it just to cause a stir.. like the time I went to this hippie, too-many-vegetarians, women's herbal conference and wore a RealTree camo jacket. That got some dirty looks! :-D I can't wear that jacket in the field though any more because I can't get that hint of Patchouli out of it!!!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artemis said:

OK, I'm new, so I don't get the joke. What's wrong with Mossy Oak and RealTree? Are they bad camo patterns or was it that he mixed the two? I know some folks are die hard fans of one versus the other-- so is that it? 

I like my Fusion stuff a lot. Not because of any success in the field with it mind you, I just think it's a pretty pattern. But then I'm apparently weird because I like to wear camo just because its looks like nature and nature is beautiful. 

I might also enjoy wearing it just to cause a stir.. like the time I went to this hippie, too-many-vegetarians, women's herbal conference and wore a RealTree camo jacket. That got some dirty looks! :-D I can't wear that jacket in the field though any more because I can't get that hint of Patchouli out of it!!!! 

yes he was bustin on me that I shouldnt be seen wearing both at the same time .  That i wasnt coordinated with all realtree or all mossy oak.  

and your def not weird or at least i hope not cause my favorite color is camo! Cause when I'm wearing it I am usually hunting.  

and yeah might as well burn that jacket now or maybe wear it as your going out on the town jacket since it already smells like Patchouli. lol

One time my hunting buddy looked at me and said " dude I just can't hunt with you today...youre wearing mossy oak and realtree, really it's embarrassing". Lol

I agree with Moog. I wouldn't worry bout it.  But I def keep a pair of hunting only boots. For scent and always have a dry pair.  

Yep, I am a mix and match guy myself.  Realtree, predator, asat, some other camo I don't even know the name of - if the clothes are the right weight for the weather, that's the right camo.

By the way, Artemis just won a prize for being the first to use the term Patchouli on this site!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 3

Patchouli... Great for hunting stinky old hippy's. No offense to any stinky old hippy's out there. Personally I'm a real tree ap guy. I do however have many different patterns but I'm on the anti mossy oak bus. Scent. Just worry about scent. You can wear blue jeans and a flannel, and if you play the wind right, you will score.

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yep, I am a mix and match guy myself.  Realtree, predator, asat, some other camo I don't even know the name of - if the clothes are the right weight for the weather, that's the right camo.

By the way, Artemis just won a prize for being the first to use the term Patchouli on this site!

Moog's hunting clothes are grrranimals so he just has to match the cute animal tags on each piece so he matches. You get that stuff for free when you spend that much on sissy carpet for you truck bed...lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Artemis said:

Oh geez, I've been on my best behavior because I'm the new kid on the block... but I love bustin' chops. :-D

Have you seen the picture of Turkeyfeathers in his bunny costume yet? It'll probably open a whole new world for you. :rofl:

Sorry TF!  :drinks:And welcome again Artemis. There's a lot to be learned here besides the good-natured banter.

you will do fine Artemis with your camo pattern, what I meant by too much green is if your in a spring camo pattern and setting in a leafless brush pile you are going to stand out, remember animals live there they know the area as well as you know your own living room. 

movement gets people busted more than anything else, that's why I said make sure you are comfortable where you sit, if your not comfortable you will be fidgeting around and more than likely alerting deer before you ever see them. 

Along the same lines is as I said scent control, often times people are not even aware that a deer has winded them as they just turn around and sneak off before the hunter ever knows they are there, 

If you get snow on the ground get out there and check for tracks that will tell you if the area you are hunting shows enough sign to put forth more effort.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Have you seen the picture of Turkeyfeathers in his bunny costume yet? It'll probably open a whole new world for you. :rofl:

Sorry TF!  :drinks:And welcome again Artemis. There's a lot to be learned here besides the good-natured banter.

good grief philo your gonna scare her away before she ever gets settled in, heck next thing your gonna tell her is that she needs to meet Pygmy, lol :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Patchouli... Great for hunting stinky old hippy's. No offense to any stinky old hippy's out there. Personally I'm a real tree ap guy. I do however have many different patterns but I'm on the anti mossy oak bus. Scent. Just worry about scent. You can wear blue jeans and a flannel, and if you play the wind right, you will score.

What's wrong with Mossy Oak? I have strong preference toward Real Tree Xtra myself, but I had to make peace with Mossy Oak Breakup Country because my bow only comes in black or the Mossy Oak and *really* wanted camo on the riser....   

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yes he was bustin on me that I shouldnt be seen wearing both at the same time .  That i wasnt coordinated with all realtree or all mossy oak.  

and your def not weird or at least i hope not cause my favorite color is camo! Cause when I'm wearing it I am usually hunting.  

and yeah might as well burn that jacket now or maybe wear it as your going out on the town jacket since it already smells like Patchouli. lol

Don't worry- that jacket as since been repurposed for skiing. Funny enough Camo is a trend now in ski wear. It started with the snowboarder kids and park rats, but it's growing. I picked up a new pair of ski goggles this season that have Real Tree camo print on the band.  The downside of course is that some people can't see you. I nearly got creamed at the end of last season on a double black diamond when some jackwagon who had no business being on that run in the first place, started losing control and coming right at me. I screamed at him and he banked away at the last second, very narrowly missing me. Apparently I need to wear blaze orange with it.... 

smith-i-o-goggles-lago-id-realtree-xtra-green-blackout-yellow-senso-side.jpg

What's wrong with Mossy Oak? I have strong preference toward Real Tree Xtra myself, but I had to make peace with Mossy Oak Breakup Country because my bow only comes in black or the Mossy Oak and *really* wanted camo on the riser....   
Nothing just the Ford Vs Chevy. Mathews Vs elite. Mossy Vs realtree type preference. I'm a Chevy, elite, realtree guy. That's all !