hunting near cornfield as it is being cut?

goosifer

About 6 years ago a huge corn field was being cut by my camp. I was in an exit area of the cornfield. I saw a few deer but was really cool I saw 6 bear! They all got kicked out of the corn. I think its a good idea to hunt in during the cut and the day after. GL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only got the opportunity once at my camp,where deer from what i experienced didnt really use the corn as much for bedding as i would have guessed. I still saw some deer come out but not many. The field was around 40 acres though..  But i have a friend who has several times. From what he tells me, as the rows of corn get thinner and thinner, the deer hold up until the end then shoot out of the corn for wooded cover/enter exit area... We hunt on the edge of a village and he said he watched what he would have guessed to be 75-100 deer come flying out of this corn field while the last 3 rows got cut.. Wish I could have witnessed that. 

• Like 1

Perfect time to hunt !! I've seen them circle the combine and stay in the standing down to the last cut. They aren't overly spooked coming out either, so you setup in the right spot and they may just walk by you. My favorite is the night after though, as the deer still have the mindset they are hidden when in the field. Got my buck 2nd day after corn was cut, typically mature deer won't make that mistake but it can happen.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Well, we watched and waited, the last row was finished around 12:30. No deer. One pheasant got kicked out. I'll be back out Sunday, maybe catch one first thing in the morning feeding on the combine leftovers. I think it was a relatively small field, so less likely to trap deer? Also, with the apples and corn out of the way, I am hopeful that the deer will start paying some attention to the food plots I planted.

4 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Well, we watched and waited, the last row was finished around 12:30. No deer. One pheasant got kicked out. I'll be back out Sunday, maybe catch one first thing in the morning feeding on the combine leftovers. I think it was a relatively small field, so less likely to trap deer? Also, with the apples and corn out of the way, I am hopeful that the deer will start paying some attention to the food plots I planted.

Stay put...don't leave the cut corn area. Prime time has arrived...

• Like 1